rule set help!!!

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by ttchoice, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ttchoice

ttchoice Registered Member

is there any body could tell me how to set the rules to block the leaking of privacy ??
    thx a lot !!!

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

If you are refering to HTTP Referer field blocking, in HTTP requests, there is no Look 'n' Stop rule able to block that.

Regards,

Frederic

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Common, Fred, give us Plug-Ins for HTTP-Referrer and Cookie handling… Please, Please, Please… ;)

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

For me this is the job of the browser itself.

My understanding was new browsers (like opera..., even IE for SP2 ?) include this kind of feature directly.
    So why adding this feature in a firewall which is supposed to act at a lower level ?

Frederic

5. Phant0m

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

And I know you were expecting me to answer that ;)
    If it was easy to do something through plugins, why not, but unfortunately, it is not the case.

Frederic

7. Phant0m

heheh

If you have DLL support I could make DLL to offer those sorts of capabilities, and other capabilities like Look ‘n’ Stop Log Viewer and…

I could be mistaken but I don’t think even IE SP2 handles HTTP-Referrer? I may be mistaken here…
    o_O

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

I'm not sure what you mean by DLL support, but:
    - for privacy features, yes, the plugins (and looknstop.exe) can't support this kind of features
    - for log viewer, plugin DLLs are (normally) able to receive any content of the log, and we offer support for anyone trying to do such a DLL

[/QUOTE]
    I was thinking to cookies and Ads windows.

Frederic

9. Phant0m

It can be done but the question is how easy it can be for you to implement DLL support, to make calls to DLLs designed to work with Look ‘n’ Stop. I know this isn’t communication program, but as an example, mIRC has DLL support and “also supports calling COM objects, for calling non-standard DLLs”.

-

I was in reference to log-files, not what gets shown in log-screen, or you meant support for reading files like .log files too?

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Not sure what you are asking here.
    Plugins are DLL that offer functions to Look 'n' Stop. looknstop.exe calls these functions when specific events (like a new entry in the log) occur.
    This is normally an easy way to interface.
    Log files or log display contain the same alerts. So, interfacing a plugin DLL you will get also the same alerts. The only difference is in the DLL you will get the full content of the packet (which is not the case with log files or log content dialog box).
    To read log files there is no need to have a plugin since the format is a common one (comma separator, for raw log files).

Frederic

11. Phant0m

So... if Look ‘n’ Stop Plug-In feature calls functions, can the function include APIs? If it is processed then it is possible to make changes like enable IE SP2 Popup blocker?

Well I’m in reference to viewer that can view log files that been made on any giving date, have different read patterns to find things more conveniently…

12. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Sadly , Phant0m's point is the main reason I chose againdt LnS . And to answer a " kinda " question for you Phant0m , IE SP2 does not really have referrer control . Cookies obviously but , not referrer handling . I must admit too , that Outposts pop up blocker is MUCH better than that in IE . I am glad it has that ability . Not a big selling point but , every little bit helps .

13. Phant0m

I didn’t bother to check, I know if IE SP2 introduced a feature to this sort, I would have seen SOMETHING mentioned on this.

I can’t comment on Outpost popup blocking capabilities but I do know if people set filter to High that it should handle majority, I didn’t bother checking a lot but is there test that shows SP2 Popup blocker fails, fails when filter set to High?

14. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Mostly yes . When it is set too high . But fails sometimes , depending upon the popup . Outpost really did some work with this . It is much better tha ZAs . And easy on resources too . Nice thing about Outpost is you can set referrers , cookies , Java , active x , java applets , hidden frames , external active content , VB script , popup blocking to permit or deny or prompt . Right there in the Outpost interface . Easier to adjust in that application . And you can make your own rules for certain things with the above mentioned . Kinda like IE but , easier to handle and easier to access with a little more control .

15. ttchoice

I can not agree with you more!!!
    Know what, the PC Flank gave me a this: " :( " when i was trying to pass the Privacy-leaking scan and we all are looking forward to use the Perfect firewall, even no such thing in this world.
    Also i known that the ZoneAlarmPro has some kind ability to control the Privacy-leaking, so i was wondering why the lns could not have such abilities.
    Finally Please, my heroes, Phant0m and Frederic, help us. :D :D :D

BTW: I have another problem using lns.
    Here is the description and snapshot:

Attached Files:

• aaa.gif
      aaa.gif
      File size:
      42.9 KB
      Views:
  16. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi ttchoice,

For this new problem, I suspect the launcher program is detected before Look 'n' Stop starts and so, Look 'n' Stop didn't catch the parent process.

Could you try to add the following key in the registry and reboot to see if the problem appears again:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lnsfw1]
    "ActivatedSoon"=dword:00000001

To avoid removing manually the entries, you can select "Just This time" or "Just for the session" in the popup. But this won't solve the fact you will be prompted each time.

Regards,

Frederic

17. Phant0m

I get those too here and there also…, and I always use ActivatedSoon feature activated!

18. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Phant0m,

Are you talking about the same application or other ones ?
    Do you have an idea of what the launcher application should be (and its pathname) ?

Frederic

19. Phant0m

Through different programs I run, not sure what the launcher is and by the look of things, neither does Look ‘n’ Stop. It’s usually with third-party software launching something else, possibly an API that uses Windows Shell (Explorer.exe)?

I’ll have to keep an eye closely on this when it happens next.
    :doubt:

20. ttchoice

it seems not working as i wished~~~ :D
    but thx you all a lot any way!!!!
    still waiting for the next version of lns hopefully~~~ :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.