RUBotted in 2010

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gambla, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Hello people,

other threads about it are from 2008 and then it was listed still as beta. As far as i can see it's a final and free tool. I just wonder if there's a comparable software with the same technique in scanning network traffic for botnet behaviour through it's own network driver ? Btw i couldn't find a good test of it in the web either.

2. gambla

gambla Registered Member

So many views and no comments at all ? So many experts posting in this forum, i'm a bit disappointed...

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Don't be, it's just not a popular product since it only assumes that something is running with bot activity - still doesn't block it. You tell me how useful that is, cause personally I think it's just **** and waste of CPU and I/O.

4. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

well that's a cue about what the experts feel about RUBotted in 2010....:D

5. gambla

gambla Registered Member

@raven211: Thanks for your comment. You're right that it can only warn of any activity, so it's obviously incomplete. But isn't the approach of scanning through an own network driver interesting ? I'm curious how it works and if this could be developed to an additional security layer ? If any expert would drop two lines why it's crap, then it's fine for me too. :)

@kasperking: You maybe right, but then i could post these questions in a housework-forum or car-forum and not here ! :)

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

LOL!11!! Well, we'll have to wait and see if someone like Sul or Kees is any brighter in comparison on this one... first thought that comes to my mind when you say it's using a network driver is that it might slow down browsing and download speeds. :eek: :rolleyes:

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

If it is useful or not, I guess it depends whether or not it detects bot activity. If it does, then it will alert you, but as others have stated already, it will only alert you, and not actually stop it from actuating and/or propagating, for example, through a network.

I'm aware it is a free tool, but, people want to be protected the best way possible, and they can just achieve such and for free, using other means.

But, AVG Identity Protection, which is a paid tool, and formerly owned by Sana, is a better tool for those who don't want to "waste" a few time applying other security measures.

http://www.avg.com/eu-en/avg-identity-protection

Maybe you'd be interested in such a tool, if you don't mind paying. There are other ways, of course.

Cheers

8. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Thank you moonblood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.