Roxio BackOnTrack Suite

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by osip, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osip

osip Registered Member

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Not yet, but I'm looking for a replacement of FDISR in the next coming years, because HDS is killing FDISR. It seems to have snapshots, so it's a possible. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  3. osip

osip Registered Member

4. ErikAlbert

Horizon DataSys is planning to terminate FirstDefense-ISR Workstation and will replace it with "FirstDefense-ISR Rescue", which has no multiple snapshots, no archives, no freeze function anymore and that is the same as killing FDISR.
    It's all written and discussed in posts at FirstDefense-ISR forums of Wilders.

HDS has to kill FDISR, because it's better than their own software "Rollback Rx v8.1", which is still not working properly.

5. ErikAlbert

Roxio BackOnTrack 3 Suite is BRAND NEW and most probably full of bugs, like any other new software.
    I'm wondering why it doesn't have a trial period of 60 days or something.
    I'm not going to download and buy this software without testing it thoroughly.
    Well I have years enough to wait on more news and reviews. I'm not in a hurry to replace FDISR.

6. appster

appster Registered Member

Actually, it's not a brand new product. It was first developed and sold by a company called 'SystemOk' almost 3 years ago. Roxio acquired them several months ago and has enhanced the product with version 3. Here is a brief review of BackOnTrack v2.7 - before it was taken over by Roxio.
    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55383.html

Version 3 Features:

File Backup
    Backup important files - digital photos, family videos, key financial records, essential documents, and other data
    File selection by categories (like photos, music)
    Easily add and modify categories (like photos, music)
    Select destination folder (and not just select a drive)
    Encrypts backups - Keeps personal files safe from unwanted access
    Compresses backups to save space on storage device
    Scheduled Backup to automatically backup your files
    Independent restore application stored together with backup
    Supports CDR/RW and DVD+-R/RW drives, USB and FireWire® (IEEE 1394) external storage devices, and Iomega® Zip® and Jaz® drives
    Supports Blu-ray and HD-DVD
    Create incremental backups

Disaster Recovery
    Span and split files across multiple discs
    Store more data on one disk with dual-layer burning
    Back up on the fly, without restarting your system
    Search and restore individual files within a backup without restoring the entire image
    Automatically verify backup before restoring
    Recover even if operating system fails to boot
    True bare metal recovery from CD/DVD in case of hardware problems
    Easy-to-use restore feature
    Restore from Windows PE

Fwiw, the Home edition of v2.7 (there was also a Pro edition) by SystemOk can still be download for trial here...
    http://www.sharewareconnection.com/download-backontrack-home-from-sharecon.html

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Interesting product, but it's no fdisr

8. appster

9. appster

o_O o_O o_O

10. ErikAlbert

It will never be the same as FDISR and it doesn't need to be the same as FDISR to me as long it meets my wishes.
    I can't judge RBOTS at first sight, I need a trial version first.

11. ErikAlbert

I like to evaluate RBOTS v3 first not some old version, that's not the same and I'm more interested in the ISR-part, not the backup-part. :)

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Vividly, and I wonder why Roxio is getting back in this business after selling out GoBack. Makes me a bit leary.

13. appster

Pete, about a year after Roxio sold GoBack to Symantec I recall reading an article by the principal programmer wherein he said that was a major mistake by Roxio. At that time Roxio decided to abandon software products that they didn't see being profitable for what they believed was the hottest future software area, i.e., MultiMedia apps. I would guess Roxio has recently re-assessed the situation.

14. appster

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

I remember Go Back has a major flaw, which is the storage size; you can only go back to certain length measured by certain percentage of your disk size, let say 30% of 120 GB, that is 36 GB. Any data stored beyond that point is gone, irreversible. I just wonder this new app has something different and better ?

16. ErikAlbert

That is still v2.7 Build 2, not v3. But thanks anyway, I'm not in a hurry to test RBOTS v3.
    FDISR is still there for at least 3 years and probably more and I'm only interested in the ISR function and FDISR is nothing but ISR. I already solved the Image/File Backup problem.
    BUT one day, I will need a replacement for FDISR, nothing will stop that and that's why I like to know the softwares, that MIGHT be a solution. I like to think ahead as far as possible.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Perman:

Yes, as luck would have it, most all these immediate recovery apps suffer from flaws, (aka software), most are fairly severe while others are slight to none.
    I like to regard FD-ISR as nearly as competent & solid as they come, but it too has had the occasional "bug" during it's successfully great run but Leapfrog was always responsive & rapid to correct those.
    I doubt any group anytime soon can match the expertise that FD-ISR is offered, shame it seems to have hit a snag in further development, and what HDS is done to it to date, speaks volumes for their reputation doesn't it.

18. wdc

wdc Registered Member

goback was developed by Adaptec before Roxio, many years ago.

anyway, about Roxio BackOnTrack 3 Suite, does anybody know how good/bad is this product?, it's like rollback rx, goback or FD-ISR?

regards.

w.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  19. ErikAlbert

BackOnTrack 3 Suite ($50) has 3 parts :

Instant Restore
    Which has point-in-time snapshots, like RollbackRx. If you watch the Instant Restore screen closely, you will see it.
    FDISR is totally different and BackOnTrack 3 Suite is no replacement for FDISR. It's much closer to RollbackRx, only experienced RBRx-users can tell the differences.

Disaster Recovery
    Which is an Image Backup software.
    I use ShadowProtect Desktop to do that job.

File Backup
    Which is a File Backup software for backing up DATA files,
    I use Karen's Replicator to do that job.

BackOnTrack 3 ($30) has only 2 parts :
    Disaster Recovery
    File Backup
    So the "Instant Restore" is missing and that is the difference of $20. ;)

No experience with both, so I don't know if they are reliable or not.
    One thing is certain, I can't use any of them. So I have to continue my search for a substitute of FDISR and this can take many years. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  20. wdc

wdc Registered Member

thanks, I guess I'll try the suite, Instant Restore seems to be what I need, I just tested rollback rx and didn't like it.

I'll tell here what is like.

best regards.

w.

21. wdc

wdc Registered Member

hello, I have installed Roxio BackOnTrack Suite v3 today and found it very good although I haven't had time to review it deeply.

It's the same as rollback rx but feels better, you can make snapshots by schedule or manual and scheduled ones are deleted every 60 days (you can change this number) if you want, still can't find a way to delete manual snapshots.

on boot installed a bootloader just like the one you use in a pc with w98 and wxp installed, gives you 5 seconds to enter xp or backontrack.

instant restore (the snapshots feature) only restore folders designated like "system folders" and only in system drive (c partition), by default these folders are windows and program files but you can designate other folders to be restored as well (you change their type from "user data" to "system data" using right click backontrack menu).

this way you can control what to restore and what not, desktop, favorites, documents and settings and my documents are marked as "user data" and are not restored so you can "anchor" files there just to keep them safe.

I haven't restore any snapshot yet but as soon as I do, I'll keep you posted.

I you want to know more about this app you can download the help file here if you want:

http://massmirror.com/f47a4dfc768e1501fe55e3faaee4a4a8.html

best regards.

w.

22. ErikAlbert

So I assume that "user data" also has to be stored on partition[C:] and that BOTS ignores any other partition, even a separate data partition[D:] ?

23. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Does it permit defrags? Rollback doesn't, and the number of fragmented files I have is mounting up. The only way to defrag is to uninstall Rollback, defrag, and then install back.

24. ErikAlbert

I thought that RollbackRx has its own defragger ?

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It did when i was trying it out and it screwed up even more after a few Rx defrags. That was another in a list of serious problems that plagued it for me and why i can't trust it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.