Router

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rico, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

I have a Linksys E3000 router 4 connections to via wireless & ethernet cable. I never used to, have to reset the router (unplug, wait, plug-it-in), now with frequent regularity. I'm doing this. Should I be looking for a replacement? I'm pretty sure the router's firmware is up to date. When resetting the router, I unplug & re-plug the modem, which is a Verizon DSL

Thanks
    Rico

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Why exactly do you have to do this?

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Connectivity to the internet lost, restored via plug-out/plug-in

4. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I had to do this with my old netgear dg834 as well.

It was a fairly basic modem/router which was unstable due to I expect over heating with its plastic housing.

Maybe you could try one of the alternative firmwares for your router tomato wrt etc

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I had this problem too with a newly bought router. Turns out I don't know what caused the problem, but after restoring Factory Defaults and re-upgrading the firmware did the trick.

6. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Anything change that you can think of? Is the Verizon DSL modem new or a replacement? Did you recently upgrade the firmware on the Linksys? Did you enable a new feature on the Linksys (e.g. UPnP support, port forwarding, etc)? Are you using anything new that might be "unusual" to the router (and exercise firmware code that you might not previously have used)... for example, IPSec VPN or OpenVPN from your PC to your work VPN or VPN provider?

Next time you lose Internet connectivity... first try just unplugging and re-plugging in the Verizon DSL modem to see if it is the modem losing DSL sync or if it really is your wireless router.

7. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

1.) Please log into your router and reply with the current firmware & build numbers.

2.) What is the router hardware version?

3.) Is your router allowed to sit on top of another electronic device?

4.) Would Internet connectivity be restored if you only power cycled the DSL modem?

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Thanks!

Linksys E3000 ver 1.0

Firmware 1.0.06.002 Bld 2. This is the most current firmware at Linksys, I installed this Jan 2015.

The router sits atop a nightstand in the spare bedroom, nearest other electronic device 6 - 8" from it verizon modem.

I'll try power cycle of modem, next time & check for connectivity.

Note: For some reason two win 10 machines, did not, update to the new build of win 10. I went to windows, site an downloaded, & installed, all went fine. But when the desktop came up (immediately after install, latest bld). Internet had failed connectivity. Restored after power cycle. The 2nd machine upon updatin win 10 did the same thing. Since then perhaps 1 or 2 per week random, loss of connection. Prior to the updating of two machines, I never had to power cycle or loss of connectivity.

When this happens even the wired machine loses it connectivity, I thought that should keep working.

Now i'm curious & want to try the modem thing. That modem is perhaps 5+ yrs old.

Modem is Westell ADSL2 + Modem
    mod G90-610015-20
    Rev H

9. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello Rico:

While in the midst of an Internet connectivity failure incident, is it possible for any computer to still make an upstream browser connection to the Westell modem? Even if a connection can not be made to the DSL modem, could you still browser connect to the Linksys router?

Regardless, during normal periods of operation, can you otherwise access either/both the modem's logs and the router's logs to make a correlated analysis that directly relates to the Internet connectivity failure times?

Will you please report the current Software Version of the Westell modem? Do the incidents of failure ever coincide with incoming/outgoing landline telephone calls?

I am unfamiliar with Verizon's current client side equipment policy. Do you own the Linksys E3000 router but you lease the Westell DSL modem?

Thank you.

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Tough questions!

Using a 3rd party router, you cannot get modem logs, without changing something, at this point I was lost.

Typed the magic numbers into my browser, found one log, said save, I expected I could specify where, now can't find the notepad .txt file.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year "ALL"
    Rico

11. Rico

Rico Registered Member

5 min ago lost internet on two of three PC's:

Garage - Wired ethernet lost connection to internet
    House - WiFi " " " "
    Wifes - WiFI Connected <while two others lost connection
    ROKU - WiFi down

I thought this was strange so on the wifes machine I logged off & on to the net no problems.

Note equip. still same from previous posts this thread. linksys e3000 router, Verizon DSL modem.

Power cycle router only, the garage came back (wired) machine, house WiFI no internet, ROKU down, Wifes machine still good.

Also router felt warm! Should I be shopping for a new router. It does have the latest firmware

Thanks
    Rico

12. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello Rico:

I read your P.M.

Some Cisco/Linksys routers do not react well when closely stacked above/around other electronics that shed even some heat. I have taken to elevating my E3200 router for the best air circulation without active ventilation assistance.

If the above requests, in post #9, are outside your comfort zone, then perhaps a replacement router is in your future.

Cheers

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.