router

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by waters, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

I have just connected a router and it has a sp1 firewall.I want something to control outbound only.What would be the lightest to use

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

if you are still using windows Xp then Sygate 5.6 is good. No longer being developed so not bloated like many others. An Old version of Kerio would be ok and if you want the latest and greatest Online Armor free - just the firewall.
    Is there some particular reason why you feel the need for a software firewall ?

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I use Comodo 2.4 behind a router without any problems or slow downs. It does use some memory. Some recommend Look'N'Stop with the network monitor turned off, but its not free.

Another approach would be to use a HIPS like System Safety Monitor or Dynamic Security Agent, both free. Both of these have been tested by Matousec and are effective under his test conditions, and offer other benefits, which are probably the real reason for using HIPS.

4. waters

waters Registered Member

Do i need one.In the set up it just says enable firewall.I pass shields up but with no pop ups it feels like i am not protected.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The router is inbound only, so you'll be ok on Shields Up, but if you want outbound protection/popups/alerts/etc then put one of the many software firewalls on too. Try a few and see which you like... some have been mentioned above already.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Well as long as no malware creeps onto your computer you don't technically "need" one. I think it's a good idea to have some means toward filtering outbound.

SSM is a good solution for a light outbound only/HIPS setup. Your router & Windows Firewall with "no exceptions" checked will provide sufficient inbound protection, yes.

7. waters

waters Registered Member

thanks,decided to use proxy firewall to just control outbound.On their website it says my firewall is not hiding my ip address,does this matter.If i was using something like look n stop would that have done it.

8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Hi waters. You might look into a proxy service such as XeroBank or the like.

Also, for a good outbound protection firewall you should check out COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0 and when installing it make sure to disable the Defense+ (unless you want a full host intrusion prevention system).

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

None of the firewalls will hide your IP. I don't think it's important anyway, but that's just my opinion, some others may want this, but unless you have a good reason to hide it, I don't think it matters....

10. waters

waters Registered Member

Ok thanks Kerodo ,proxy will just keep an eye on what wants to get out thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.