Router + ZoneAlarm Pro question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by GuardianofNight, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuardianofNight

GuardianofNight Registered Member

Hi,

I have a router and I have ZoneAlarm Pro installed on my other computers. I am just curious if the router would not block something and say a hacker got passed it somehow, would ZoneAlarm Pro then catch the attack in its tracks or is the router that powerful ZoneAlarm Pro is not needed?

Running the latest version of ZoneAlarm Pro :)

Thanks, hope someone can help....

Rob

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Your router will provide good protection against unsolicited inbound connections. It will basically limit communication to that initiated by systems behind it. Unless it is misconfigured there should be nothing getting through for ZA to deal with, but ZA would still provide inbound protection.

Software firewalls on systems behind the router are optional, but do allow you to filter what applications on these systems are permitted network access and also for applying other restrictions for users. Many users prefer to use this additional layer of security.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. GuardianofNight

Hello CrazyM, oh ok I see. Interesting... :) I have a question... I was watching ZoneLabs (Checkpoint) software for the enterprise called Integrity.. a demo. It says that it offers protection if a virus or trojan horse got infected on one of the computers that it would limit access or something like that for the other computers that are on the enterprise network so they would not be affected.

By me having ZoneAlarm Pro installed on all the PCs, do you know if ZoneAlarm Pro would protect my other computers since they too have ZoneAlarm Pro installed?

Thank you so much, would appreciate anyones reply! :)

~ Rob

4. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
  5. GuardianofNight

Oh ok cool... so again if I'd catch a virus or whatever, it would stop it from spreading to other PCs as long as they have ZoneAlarm Pro installed?

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u block it network/internet access then yes but its better to have a good antivirus and antitrojan to catch it first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.