Router Suggestions?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by firzen771, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomsviking

Jomsviking Registered Member

I would say the Linksys WRT54GL is a good option with good references. It supports 3rd party firmwares, such as DD-WRT.

When behind a router, many people disable their software firewalls, due to several reasons: either they don't want to have the trouble to learn to use a firewall [which is understandible], or they have some problems with online gaming or file sharing or other and end up disabling the software firewall.
    But I think it is a bad idea:
    -The router can fail. It has happened. And you don't want to be without a software firewall if that happens.
    - Even behind a router, you are still susceptible to attacks from other computers inside the network; this may or may not be an issue, according to each one's particular situation.

I would say: keep a software firewall; if you find 3rd party firewalls bothersome for some reason, at least use the basic windows firewall, it shoudn't complicate your gaming / file sharing / system resource use.

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ok, well my dad went out and bought the Belkin G + MIMO router, didnt ask him to, but now that i have it, its pretty good, like it so far, but do Belkin routers support 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT?

3. firzen771

would it work with DD-WRT or others?

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Go to the respective sources and look for the lists of supported devices, here is the DD-WRT list.

One other thing, if you're unsure of hardware and/or don't have a recovery path, don't go down this road. An incorrect flash can render a router useless and either unrecoverable or recoverable only via a hardware modification/JTAG-based recovery and if you've never soldered a populated PC board before, this may not work out too well.

Blue

5. firzen771

darn, works on other models of Belkin routers, but not on mine:(

6. firzen771

2 questions

do any of u know of ANY 3rd party firmware that would work on Belkin G Plus MIMO router?

is the UPnP feature of my router safe to use, i remember reading somewer that its a security risk?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.