(router/spoofing) blocking private addresses from internet side

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bgtvfr, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgtvfr

bgtvfr Registered Member

How may one generally block private addresses from being used remotely on a basic, home router? Documents on the web generally recommend blocking private addresses from the internet side on your home router to prevent attacks like spoofing. I haven't found an easy how to instructional for this. Where do I enter this information in the router, please? I'm not mentioning the router name for security purposes, this should be simple, general information I may use to add to my router's settings. TIA

2. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Yes, I would like to know this, too.
    I hope someone more experienced can enter and help.

3. arran

arran Registered Member

that would depend on what type of Router you have. all Routers have different settings. Have you tried logging into your Router and going thru the settings?

4. CoolWebSearch

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

What do you mean private address being used remotely?

6. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

welcome, most routers dont have blacklist functionality, you may want to flash your firmware with a 3rd party firmware like tomato, first check to see if your router is supported, then come back.

chrome

7. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I am not sure I understand completely your question. Could you illustrate with an example ??

From what i understand, your scenario is:

A --- Router --- B

Where A is connected to internet/WAN and B is connected to Lan/Home.

Now if in B you have an IP say 192.168.1.100 and internet IP is (say) 53.52.51.50 then inside the router two sides are configured automatically. One is 192.168.x (LAN) and other is 53.52.51.x (WAN) the routers job is exchange packets between these two distinct sides without make each realize it.

Now if someone from internet sends a spoofed packet with IP 192.168.1.x it will reach B. But B is created to listen to packets from 53.52.51.x only, so the packet will be dropped. Just ensure your home router is NOT in BRIDGED mode ( where all packets are transmitted without any checks) and you will be safe.

I hope this was what you were asking. Incase I got it wrong or have repeated something you knew, please re-state the question with some examples and I will try my best to answer or direct you to the answer.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  8. CoolWebSearch

I think you lifted the fog enough and explained in details, so I can rest in peace.
    Don't know about Bgtvfr, I hope he is satisfied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.