Router/software firewall or both?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by spfighter, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spfighter

spfighter Registered Member

What does everyone recommend for security on high speed? I run a router, and no software firewall, is that enough? Should I get the firewall version of AVG antivirus? I run the full AVG anti malware now. Am I protected enough?

Thanks,
    Ron

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I run and recommend people to use router + software firewall .
    The software firewall is the most important protection . It protects the machine/computer itself whereas routers protect the network (if such) . Moreover,if you have both router+soft firewall , you double your protection against hackers and then you completely forget about them . It is very simple , just turn ON the built-in Windows Firewall and "hackers are gone" :D ;) :D

No , it is not absolutely necessary to get AVG+its firewall . You can use WF (although it is one way only , it is excellent in its job) . AVG Anti-malware incluing AVG Antivirus and Ewido AS , this combination is very good . You are protected . Just make sure it is updated , practise "Safe Hex" , use Mozilla Firefox (:D ) and you should be OK :thumb:

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u are behind a router, a personal firewall is not necessary. u can still use one for outbound protection though.

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

We have been through this before. The H/W firewall is good, can't be compromised by hackers.

Since most firms have both a software firewall and a physical firewall the anwser is easy.

YES, have both. The S/W gives extra coverage for In and Out trafic.
    ZA for example lets you control which applications/programs can communicate in and out with the internet.

A router cannot do that. It is as usual a matter for you to decide yourself.

With all the garbage flying around on the internet take the safe path.

There are excellent firewalls on this forum!

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Yes use both, I believe the router needs to state that it has "Stateful Packet Inspection" to be considered a h/w firewall. I use Comodo CPF/Netgear combo.

Take Care
    Rico

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Using your hardware firewall combined with something like appdefend would be sufficient.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Double inbound filtering is bound to have an impact on network speed, I would run a HIPS or an app defend sort of program with router.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.