Router setting firewall off

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Jimbob1989, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I am currently using a netgear wireless router with a hardware firewall and behind that on the actual PC, I have

I've noticed recently that Zone Alarm has been poping up, telling me it has blocked attacks, however the IP address it gives is often the IP address of my router. I have listed in the logs, blocked connections going both out and in.

Can anyone explain this?

I wasn't sure if maybe it was a mistake and I had to enable my router to the trusted zone or if Zone alarm is listing the attacks IP as my router as it is redirected through there.

Jimbob

2. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

It's probably a broadcast either to Netgear's own software which would be running, or the LAN broadcasts for which pre SP1 Xp setups are (in)famous... or am I missing a beat here?
    Be ready with those logs... some1 will wask 4 them sooner rather than later ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  3. New

New Guest

Check the port numbers. If 53 or 67 or 68 it is communication you need (DNS, DHCP). Usually the router is included in the trusted zone when you include the 'new network' detection. If you are doing the IP's individually instead of the complete LAN subnet, then depending on your configuration you probably need the router IP in the trusted zone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.