Router problems

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by G1111, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Using a RT31P2 Linksys router and the router settings were somehow changed including the password. My old one doesn't work but I can get in typing "admin" when I hit the factory default settings nothing happens can't cahnge the password either.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you hit the reset button on the back of the router?

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Ron - Yes I did but it does not reset. The settings are strange. NAT has been disabled, etc. Is it possible either my ISP or Vonage changed them (pushed firmware) or is it possible I was hacked?

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Try flashing the latest firmware from the linksys website. That might help alleviate the problems. Maybe someone on your network changed the settings without your knowledgeo_O

Alphalutra1

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I doubt that, but I guess anything is possible. It doesn't appear they have a firmware download for your router any longer here.
    You might consider getting another router.

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Tried reseting again through internet connection and holding the reset button in longer. The firmware is pushed by Vonage. I will have to give them a call. Thanks for the suggestions. I will report back what happens. Ran several scans (KAV, Rootkit Revealer, UnHackMe, Blacklight, AdAware) all were clean.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

By all means, let us know.

8. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Called Vonage and asked if they could repush the firmware. That was a waste of time. I E-Mailed Linksys after trying their online customer support. Perhaps they could send it and I can try to flash the router. Vonage has a special on that router. Maybe if Linksys can't send it I will get a different router. I have Outpost in place but because of the firmware messed up some websites (MS updates) don't seem to work right. Router is 1 1/2 years old, maybe time for a new one.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I've had my Linksys for four years now and it is still going strong. You might want to take a look at the Linksys forums. There might be something there.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys

10. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I'll take a look

11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Firmware downloadlink

(Linksys RT31P2 VOIP Broadband Router}

12. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Can't flash the router. All the settings are "frozen" can't flash it or reset it. I will see if Vonage can send another router.

13. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Are you sure you perform the flash-procedure in the required way?

Is maybe a silly question, but for short i had the same problems with flashing a router.
    Cause: not following the procedure demanded by the manufacturer.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  14. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Smokey. I ran the program provide by Linksys (tftp.exe) and downloaded the (.bin) file you gave me the link to and it didn't work. I got to the point where the program prompted me for the flash program and I loaded the downloaded firmware provided in your download link. It tried flashing the router 3 times before the program stopped. I ranran it with the same result. I could not flash the modem. I can't reset it manually either. I entered the provided IP addresses/subnet mask codes to force the network adapter to 10 half mode. I will retry everything again, but my guess is it will not work.

15. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Sound familiar to me...

I had exact the same problems.

I will look around for a solution, but can't promise anything.

16. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Tried again from the beginning to make sure I entered the IP addresses correctly and didn't work. What did you do in the end?

17. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I can't remember the details, the only thing i remember i was the whole afternoon occupied with it.

What i discovered about the RT31P2 is, you are for sure not the only one with problems.
    In fact, there are a lot of people with the same problems.

Take a look here.

18. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks. They had a special on the web site for a $59.95 rebate on the RT31P2 which costs $59.95. I keep getting transeferrd when calling Vonage with fairly long waits in between. I think I give up for today. I guess I need to get a different router and maybe a separate Vonage adapter for behind the router.

19. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Seems that several people with the same problems like you have switched to a RTP 300.

Sorry i can't help you with your problem.

20. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Tonight I turned on the computer and went to the Router address and it seems to have reset. For at least now it seems like the settings are back to normal. I changed the password and rebooted and that took. Strange. I will have to keep my eye on it. I was looking at the Vonage/Uniden phone/router But as an existing customer can't get the rebate. Hope things don't act up with the RT31P2 again. Now I have to work on Windows. It may be time for a reformat.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I agree. Thanks for the feedback.

22. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

After doing some more checking it may have not been the router after all. I am having some Windows problems starting last Friday. Some things work (some pages using IE6, some downloads (KAV, RegDefend), Outlook, MSWord while other things don't Outpost Pro update, MS Windows update, Search (from Start menu). I would say I am about 90-95% operational. Anyhow when I open Opera and then the router link I can change settings, etc. However if I open the same router link and log in using IE6 the settings appear screwed up and I can't change anything. If I reset it and open in IE6 it looks the same making me think that the firmware was "frozen". So the outcome is it is a software (Windows) problem only. It is just the way IE6 views the router settings is off, not the erouter settings themselves. They are fine using Opera browser. I reset the router password in Opera and it took after I rebooted. Any ideas what is screwed up in Windows. It may some kind of VBscripting problem. Did virus/trojan/spyware scans and all were negative. Any good diagnostic programs. I was going to try PC Bug Doctor.

23. sdelacas

sdelacas Registered Member

I had a similar problem yesterday immediately after I upgraded to the latest version of free ZoneAlarm. This was also a RT31P2 that my PC suddenly thought had a different IP address. The router itself was fine however.

How do I know? I have a wireless router behind the broadband router. I plugged my PC directly into that one - WRT54G - the router / router communication continued flawlessly and my wired broadband LAN was immediately reavailable to my PC (I had never lost the wireless connection). Also, when I got this fixed the original RT31P2 settings were undisturbed.

How did I fix it? I added the DHCPNAMESERVER 1 and 2 IP addresses from the registry settings to the Internet Zone of ZoneAlarm (firewall settings). I then logged into the RT31P2 and browsed around a bit without changing any settings. Then plugged the ethernet cable back into the RT31P2. My PC picked up the RT31P2 IP address correctly forever after.

Why did this work? My theories are 1) that ZoneAlarm scrambled either NetBios or some other Domain name or DHCP MS convention on installation, or 2) the DHCPNAMESERVERs were perceived by ZoneAlarm as "trusted" and blocked as an internal attack (there is some circumstantial evidence to that effect in the ZoneAlarm log). It may not have helped that both router's IP addresses have the same 255 subnet.

No doubt a more experienced MS guru than I could explain this properly given the above clues.

The bottom line - do not reflash your RT31P2 until you have ruled out MS problems. Do not be quick to blame Vonage (I also have it). By the way VOIP never had a hitch (as it shouldn't) during this entire episode.

24. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Have you figured out your problem. Just saw yout post and I found the answer to mine with trial and error. Unless you are a computer expert (I am certainly not) such problems are perplexing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.