Router Firmware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by whitedragon551, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I realize this should go in multiple places, the software and a hardware section, however I can assume if your reading this then you already have the proper hardware.

I just got my Linksys WRT54GS v2 router. It took me forever to find. I was specifically looking for a v1-v3 due to the increased hardware specs. They are the only editions with 32Mbs of RAM and 8Mbs of flash space for custom firmware.

Now of course I was looking at these routers because they are amazing pieces of hardware on their own accord, but that is only enhanced with custom firmware.

I have DD-WRT v24-SP1 Mega package installed. I realize there are numerous others out there and probably the second most popular Tomato. Anyone have any idea about these firmwares from a security standpoint? Does one offer more security over another with built in features?

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I use this same firmware and have the same router, but I have no idea as to your question. I do know that both the firmwares you mentioned are excellent from a security standpoint. Try the question over at the dd-wrt forum, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/

good luck :thumb:

3. whitedragon551

I feel like asking over at the DD WRT or Tomato forums would fetch me biased opinions hence the question here.

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi, good router.

(btw DD-WRT support other routers and x86 PC, devices list.)

Have you checked Wikipedia, it has a lot of info on this page to start from.

Any place worth it's salt will be unbiased and include talk on limitations of features. In the past I've found DD-WRT communities the best place to go to find info.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  5. whitedragon551

I run the Mega there and according to the feature set I have every option available. However it doesnt directly compare the main players in the aftermarket firmware arena.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.