Router Firmware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by whitedragon551, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I realize this should go in multiple places, the software and a hardware section, however I can assume if your reading this then you already have the proper hardware.

I just got my Linksys WRT54GS v2 router. It took me forever to find. I was specifically looking for a v1-v3 due to the increased hardware specs. They are the only editions with 32Mbs of RAM and 8Mbs of flash space for custom firmware.

Now of course I was looking at these routers because they are amazing pieces of hardware on their own accord, but that is only enhanced with custom firmware.

I have DD-WRT v24-SP1 Mega package installed. I realize there are numerous others out there and probably the second most popular Tomato. Anyone have any idea about these firmwares from a security standpoint? Does one offer more security over another with built in features?

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I use this same firmware and have the same router, but I have no idea as to your question. I do know that both the firmwares you mentioned are excellent from a security standpoint. Try the question over at the dd-wrt forum, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/

good luck :thumb:

3. whitedragon551

I feel like asking over at the DD WRT or Tomato forums would fetch me biased opinions hence the question here.

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi, good router.

(btw DD-WRT support other routers and x86 PC, devices list.)

Have you checked Wikipedia, it has a lot of info on this page to start from.

Any place worth it's salt will be unbiased and include talk on limitations of features. In the past I've found DD-WRT communities the best place to go to find info.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  5. whitedragon551

I run the Mega there and according to the feature set I have every option available. However it doesnt directly compare the main players in the aftermarket firmware arena.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.