Router And One Pc.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Badcompany, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Are there any advantages having a firewall router on one home computer,or is it totally unnecessary.
    Badcompany.

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

There is the added\better security of the hardware firewall. That then leaves you the option of having or not having a software firewall on your PC. Perhaps a slight performance gain. So to answer your original question, yes, there are actually at least 2 possible advantages.

3. Jomsviking

Jomsviking Registered Member

Hi Bad company.

My impressions on the subject:

- Router is not absolutely necessary. If you know what you are doing, a firewall - including XP's one - will keep you out of harm's way.

- If you have one, you will have to do your share of reading on WPA keys, SSID broadcasts, MAC filtering etc...Though the router's manual is usually simple and straightforward, having a router does bring a new set of responsibilities.

- If you like experimenting with services and firewalls, something can always go wrong sometimes and open a nice big hole in your system, and a router will be a valuable help should that happen.

- Some ISPs are grouping user's in sub-networks now, and it can happen that, if you have, for example, the Windows Media Player 11 Network service enabled, you can one day find that it is prompting you to share media with some other user in your ISP sub-network. This, for me, is reason enough to never use WMP and to use a 3rd-party firewall. It took me a long time to understand what was happening with this before I realized it.
    So I guess that a router is also good help against all these modern "feature-rich" media apps that want to share your stuff with people in your ISP's sub-network you have never seen or heard of.

Just some thoughts.

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

That pertains pretty much to wireless. I should have asked if we were talking wired or wireless.

5. Badcompany

I'm talking wired.I'm on cable and have a Motorola Surboard modem.
    Bc.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

If you can afford a home router, buy one. They are not expensive and most now have some form (it will not be industry strength) of SPI and/or DOS attack filtering. Routers keep Internet "noise" from bombarding your pc's network interface, they should stealth your pc's ports or at least close them to unsolicited inbound traffic, and generally provide 24/7 protection to your always-on cable/ADSL connection. Even if you don't need wireless now, it is best to buy one with it just in case one day you do need it. The additional cost is modest. In the meantime the radio can easily be turned off. Also, you only have to concern yourself with enabling encryption such as WPA or WPA2 and setting a strong passphrase if you do use wireless. MAC and ip filtering is not necessary.

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Are there any advantages to not having a hardware Firewall Router - apart from the cost of a good meal ? I'm quite happy to run with no security software and would not exchange my router for any security software that I have seen to date.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Aside from that occasional minor annoyance of having to open ports in the router for p2p etc, I don't see any reason not to have one. To my mind, routers just make life a lot easier overall...

9. Badcompany

Thanks for all your replies. Have been looking at some routers and I think this one would be a good choice, the DLink EBR 2310 it's the up-dated version of the DLink 604.It as the set-up wizard and looks easy to configure.Do you all think this is a good choice for a total novice, Or would you recommend something else.
    Badcompany.

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It's a very basic wired router and no mention of SPI filtering or DOS protection. It will block your ports and work fine, but can you afford to shell out a few more bucks on a unit that has wireless capability and SPI/DOS attack filtetring?

You may not need wireless now, but what happens if, in a year or two from now, you get a second pc in a different room or you buy a laptop with a wireless adapter? You may regret it if you don't have wireless at that time.

I'm always reminded of network installation planning when the team runs enough CAT5 cable runs for their present needs under the floor in cable trays, through framed walls that get drywalled later and through ceilings. They run enough for their present needs, maybe 6 runs, then 3-5 years down the road they expand the network but they can't easily do it because they now need 2 more runs that they could easily have installed in the beginning, but now it is a grievous task to perform because access is sealed up and cluttered. They did not consider future expansion when they installed the equipment in the beginning, only considering what they required at the time.

Sorry for the ramble, but just trying to re-enforce my point :)

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

It is strange how wireless can develop a life of its own. I started with a Netgear DG834 and added a wireless box for a laptop. Next came a couple of wireless printers and recently a wireless internet radio ( I knew I had been right all these years to continue to call it the wireless).

There must be many good routers but I have never had an problems with my DG834 and have set up the newer wireless versions for a number of clients and friends. I know nothing about SPI/DOS but the box claims this capability.

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Personally i prefer the added security of a seperate hardware firewall. Should my OS be compromised, my hardware firewall would not. Plus it allows me to run without a software firewall which is one less thing to cause trouble which is less worry for me. I'd do away with all my other security software before i got rid of my hardware firewall.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I can't comment on the EBR 2310, but I will recommend the Netgear WGR614. It offers SPI and other firewall features along with wireless support (which you can turn off if you don't need it). Normally about $40, but it can be had for under $30 if you catch a sale.

14. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Do home routers have better latency than packet filters?

15. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Given the amount of network traffic on a home network, I don't think you will have any latency issues unless

1) You are streaming lots of high quality from one local device to another local device or
    2) You are a serious gamer and every millisecond counts.

16. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

My old DI-624 has "Gaming mode" so I'm sure most of them nowadays have this feature too. It's not a feature you want to have enabled all the time, though.

Attached Files:

17. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hello wat0114, I am looking for a wired router for my stand alone computer. Router must be reliable, have NAT/SPI and DOS filtering. What routers would you recommend..i have done a bit of a search, but it seems there are many with various problems.

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

So you guys believe a router is worth it if only for the firewall?

I would feel strange buying a router for a single PC.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I love it for that reason, and even though I do have 2 PCs, one wireless, I think I would have bought the router for just 1 of them. It just makes things so easy, knowing that you're covered inbound no matter what you do on the PC.

20. Badcompany

21. Rainwalker

Hey there WSF..............sure..why not..layered protection and all....e.g. something negative happens to your software protection....the hardware FW would then be very helpful...also, less work needed by software FW when behind a router :)

22. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    As a recent router convert - used only multiple ICSs so far - I can say that it adds a layer of simplicity to the system; modularity. Separation between external and internal networks - and expanding very simple.
    Mrk

23. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'm sorry Rainwalkwer there is just no way I can recommend anything as I'm still using my old D-Link and have never used anything else before. I would check out reviews on the Internet/magazines and base your decision on that, taking your budget into account. The brands I can think of for a starting point are D-Link, Netgear and linksys. There are others, but I'm not sure the names. All I know is that when it comes time for me to purchase a replacement router - could be a few years - I will attempt to get the best router I can afford, and I'm sure it will be at around $100 or less.

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

25. Rainwalker

OK...thanks anyway.........i use one...just looking for something better.