Rosetta Stone

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by UPM_AKP, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPM_AKP

UPM_AKP Registered Member

Hai!

I am new to this.

I have a problem with one of my software.

I use Rosetta Stone. It is a language learning/teaching software. You can create profiles/users and that keeps track of the progress.

After installing the Returnil, every time I restart the computer, the reverts back to and takes me to the same old lessons again and again.

Is there a way to allow changes to certain files like my profile in Rosetta Stone? Or is there a smarter way of doing this?

I use Windows 7 with free Returnil.

2. cyberdiva

cyberdiva Registered Member

In the paid versions of Returnil, you can use the File Manager to specify files whose changes you want to remain even after a reboot. The File Manager is not available in the free version, however. What you can do is save the changed files to a partition Returnil doesn't cover, or to an external drive (e.g., a flash drive or an external hard drive), or to a Virtual Disk (Returnil permits you to make such a disk). Then, after you reboot, move the changed files back to your computer.

3. Zarbi

Zarbi Registered Member

I had the same problem recently, with another program I wanted to resume after reboot. I solved it with hardlinks (junctions) which I found is a really great solution for me. I use it with Windows 7.

You find some useful information on this concept here:
    http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

This solution worked out for me:
    1. installed program in folder "program files" on C: as usual
    2. moved complete program folder (for the program) to second data partition (say L:, which is not saved by Returnil)
    3. set program folder on L: as "link source" (via mouse context menu)
    4. chose "drop as junction" in folder "program files" on C:

So it looks as if the program is installed on C: but all the data are actually stored and saved on L: Very easy and comfortable. But you need to make sure that the settings are stored in the program folder, not in "Documents and Settings" or somewhere else ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.