RootKit question

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by MegaPrime, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MegaPrime

MegaPrime Registered Member

In review of the application it does not specifically say that it can detect certain Windows Rootkits? Is this correct or am i missing something. I am looking for an application that will properly detect and ID RootKits. Any ideaso_O

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi MegaPrime, The best way to stop rootkits would be to use Process Guard as it works at the lowest possible level ie. the kernel and is specifically aimed at at this type of malware.

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

Hope This Helps - Pilli

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Detecting a rootkit could become nearly impossible as they develop further in the coming years. The best solution is a complete PREVENTION of the most common rootkitting methods :

a) inject into a running application and patch parts of NTDLL.DLL
    b) install a driver

ProcessGuard enables you to block both of these methods, as well as block DLL trojans which use injection methods, most DLL trojans are becoming more stealthy and using rootkit style hiding.. which is why PG was created

4. The question was not yet answered, Can TDS-3 detect rootkits? Yes or No will do fine.

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

It detects some but not all in my experience

as the others have said it's almost impossible to detect a root kit without having a copy of it first and they are getting more sophisticated every day.

It's definitely a case of the good guys playing catch up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.