rootkit is gone

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by atglabs, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atglabs

atglabs Registered Member

For the last week or so, I haven't been able to connect to removed link , and can't find any news about the suddden silence. I know in the past that some people have tried to shut them down because they believed that the site was only for blackhats. From the postings there, there were as many, if not more, researchers and other whitehats that used the site to keep up with the newly released exploits and anti-exploits without having to dig through ICQ chatrooms and underground message boards.

Anyone know what's up at removed link Did the CIA shut them down, or am I just being paranoid. Maybe Homeland Security was afraid someone might try to download a rootkit and try to install it...

TIA

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2005
  2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

While I don't have any inside information, I'd tend to lean towards paranoid. Why wouldn't they as likely be unavailable simply because they didn't pay a hosting fee, exceeded subscribed capacity, or are moving a server. Just my opinion....

Blue

or as nick more authoritatively noted, a DDoS attack

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Re:

OK I have removed all links to teh sites in question as we don't allow links to sites wher malware is capable of being downloaded and bothb mentioned sites are know locations for downloading rootkits

we try to prevent them here not encourage the use of them thanks

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Re:

There is no conspiracy or government or CIA attack

what is happening is a war between 2 sets of hackers, the hacker defender author & his newer versions that allegedly slip past the rootkit seeker programs

and a group of "ethical" hackers and others who are trying to say that their rootkit is superior who are using a ddos attack on all known Hacker defender sites so the hacker defender authors and supporters are returning the favour and doing a ddos on the other sites and they all keep flaming each other and it grows ever more tiresome

But yes there is a big problem with the new rootkits and I have removed all the links because when the ddos stops then the new versions of HD will be downloadable from that site & others it links to and we don't want links to malware being published here

6. barb b

barb b Guest

This is so upsetting to my beautiful mind. If the attackers identities are known why is this cyberterror allowed to continue?

Cant someone, like, use the patriot act to secretly fly em all to another country an have em tortured or something?

7. atglabs

atglabs Registered Member

Thanks for finding out the reason the website is unreachable. I, too, develop software for preventing and removing such malware as can be found on the site, but as a quick google will turn up many sites offering the rootkits and other hacking tools, I didn't think that mentioning the site by name would be a problem.

If you followed the site, there were interesting 'contests' where one person would post an exploit, and a few days later, another would post a way to block the exploit, and so on. Most of the code was so complicated that script kids couldn't make use of it, other than to crash their kernels as they tried to use it.

Much like military warfare, knowing as much as you can about your "enemy" without relying on guesswork (I guess that includes recent examples of our own intelligence services) is extremely important in a conflict that continually evolves new strategies on each side. That's why most of the security researchers I work with used the web to help anticipate the next generation of exploits.

BTW, as of this posting, the 'redacted' website is still unreachable.

8. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

the other reason that ALL the links and names were removed was that when it is available and it is available from certain areas of the world on and off all be it very slow and erratic the language being used on most of the front pages is NOT the sort of language I would like an inquisitive young person to see

I know most of them already know the words and indeed use them themselves but I don't see why we should encourage them

9. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

There is many informations on underground sites, but we have remember that we're on a Defense and OFFICIAL site.
    There is an italian site where we can find and download all the rootkits (windows/unix/solaris/Linux) and there is also no reason to link it ~removed link~

Regarding the subject, Nicks give the right info: ~removed link and the Hacker Defender site have been the target of a DDOS attack by the Atamasoft group for obscur reasons.

More info on ~removed link~

And as it was said, there is no intervention of the government agencies: they have many others things to do!

Regards

Links removed, clickable or not, they are against our TOS to be posted - snapdragin

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2005
  10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.