Rootkit Detection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Diver, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

2. tesk

tesk Registered Member

This is a very interesting test!

But how can bitdefender and bullguard get diffrent results? Bullguard uses the bitdefender engine?

3. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Yes but the driver is important here, not just the engine. Bullguard licensed the engine but have to develop their own driver.

4. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

5. kinwolf

If you'd read the paper and not just looked at the table you'd know that the first part of the test was done for a german magazine in oct. 2007. The text also explains why they wrote the paper with that data.

6. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

Ando_O' I know it! but You can't publish now that test after almost 7 months with obsolete info I think ...

Regards.

7. kinwolf

Again, the reason of why they publish that info now is explained in the report itself.

8. Ximi

Ximi Infrequent Poster

Avira + Bitdefender seem to do a very good job, and those 2 anti-virus seem to be the best in this test.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Avira,s cleaning is poor atleast in this test.

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

A step in the right direction could be to focus on providing
    bootable rescue media, too: this might be the product
    installation CD or a CD or disk that a user can create and
    update himself. When the system is started from
    this media, the rootkit cannot be activated on the system,
    so a scanner would be able to see all fi les and registry
    entries which would usually be hidden. This way, the
    scanner could detect and delete all rootkit and malware
    components as long as the signature database is up to date
    and comprehensive.

That might be the crux of this review

AVG antirootkit now incorporated into commercial release
    Trend Micro tool still available ( fast scanner)

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If my sworn to secrecy private ARKD builds can't cut it, i use ERD Commader load the affected O/S system into it for in-depth search and reviews as well as removals.

I really don't know don't any other way to penetrate a deeply affected system other then this method.

EASTER

12. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Just because the tester didn't do it properly. ;)
    See that the stand-alone Avira rootkit detector BETA has very good cleaning capacities.
    Avira v7 and v8 use the same engine as in that stand-alone app.

In AntiVir there is also the option to do a quick search before a normal scan, and also to do the Full search from the scanner page (tab as it was in v7).

Here's a quote from Avira Help file:
    So, obviously the tester used only the quick search option instead of the full rootkit scanning profile and that is why they got this result.
    Maybe if Andreas Marx can be contacted or read this forum will correct the test.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To me it appears as a minimal rootkit scan before any on-demand scan( even for a file or few files). How can he use this option? He must have used complete system scan/ rootkit scan.

14. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Then how do you explain it ? o_O There is the same engine used in Avira 7 or 8 and in avira rootkit detector also.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t know really. But no way I can think that he did not use complete scan or rootkit scan. So obvious, even a beginner will not do like that.

Infact I don,t understand ur mini rootkit scan at all, how can one do it. To me this option means that a minimal rootkit scan will be done before any on-demand scan, for a file/ files. Obviously no such scan can be used for active rootkits.

16. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

18. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Here's another test done by students of Epitech, a french engineer school: in english and en francais.

The main limit of these tests is the restricted number of samples and ARK tested.

NB: GData provides rootkit detection via a boot CD.

Regarding rootkits, antivirus can't be trusted.
    Rootkits exist since 20 years on Unix systems, and officially since 2000 (NTRootkit by Hoglund) on Windows.
    And since 25006, there's an escalation of rootkit literature and tools from av companies.
    Bravo! great! super! fantastico!
    But seriously, just a question: what have they done before?
    One of the key of security is reactivity: 6 years, isn't it a strange approach of reactivitty?
    Unproffesional? business strategy (less R'n D= more cash flow), or sign of conspiracy (law enforcement door for security agencies like NSA)?
    The silence and taboo related to this question is already an avowal of guilt.
    The discovery of the spambot Rustock c and its related botnet is a prove of av inefficiency against rootkits.
    And by experience i'm often quite sceptical about av marketing speech: i've verified myself the inefficiency of kav 6 against rustock b.
    More over, there's still many rootkits unknown (no patter file) from av labs (i have for instance 2 russian rootkits not detected by DR WEB AND KAV).
    The key against rootkits is prevention (always better than cure): like some people i've done some efforts on this area to promote the need of HIPS: products like Process Guard, Viguard, Abtrusion protector, SSM provide rootkit protection since 2003/2004.

Detection of rootkits is large subject, but as often the song is the same: more knowledge and experience= less av dependency.

regards

19. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Gmer & SafetyCheck passed successfully the tests :thumb:

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi kareldjag,
    have you sent the samples to all major vendors?

21. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

i would like to see rootkit test including latest Avast! and Alwil antirootkit (tho it utilizes GMER as base it someties does bit better)

22. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

This link purports to give the opinion of the author of Rootkit Unhooker LE regarding the merits of other anti-rootkit software, as of several years ago. The word 'useless' is mentioned often. Rootkit Unhooker LE was the only program that had perfect detection rates in the XP tests mention in post #1.

23. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

To prevent the NTFS and FAT 32 rootkits, I did this. Using DOS FDISK, I split a drive a -- a FAT 16 on each partition. Next, I loaded Win 98 SE on a partition, and then I loaded WIN XP SP3 as a separate, clean install on the SAME partition containing the 98 SE choosing the option to leave unchanged the FAT 16 as well as keeping the 98 SE OS in tact as to have a dual boot system on the same partition. Most of the 98 SE works, and XP also works. While using a rootkit test file, the test file stopped responding.

Dave

24. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I thought it was Sunday, April 8, 2007, so wouldn't it be one year?

But the writer seemed to think that every single anti-rootkit was bad, saying "However, all (without exception) can be avoided."
    So according to him anti-rootkits are useless?

Thanks

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well said.

Rooters & hiders have to go deep for maximum concealment, the same is required by their nemisis patrolers too. AV's already have a full plate with blacklists and adding to their bulk just to examine some of these deep sea divers.

btw, any thoughts to static hardening apps that attempt to position themselves in a chain from the SSDT Table to other entry zones?

Regards as always

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.