ROOT'ing an Android Phone - Is It 'Worth It'?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

What are your opinions about ROOT'ing an Android Phone? Advantages/Disadvantages?

I only have one budget Android SmartPhone and don't use it much except to make/receive occasional phone calls and limited web surfing. I will soon receive a second budget Android SmartPhone.

Thanks in Advance.

2. d0t

d0t Registered Member

Well, if you want to use a custom ROM, you need to root your phone :p

Believe me, when you try your first custom ROM, you'll never go back to stock.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The main thing is the ability to customize it the way you want, rather than what your carrier wants. I also agree with d0t about never wanting to go back to stock after flashing a ROM, if you go that way :)

Here's a decent article:
    http://gizmodo.com/5982287/reasons-to-root-your-android-device

It's basically a matter of getting "admin" privileges on your phone. Android is based on Linux, so it's literally just getting root privs.

4. d0t

d0t Registered Member

It's exactly what Notok said.

There are plenty of nice apps that need root. One of them is AdAway. It blocks ads on all browsers and apps.

"AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file. It needs Android >= 2.1 and ROOT access. "

May I ask what what Android phone your getting?

5. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Short answer: YES! Rooting opens up your phone to a whole lot more possibilities. As others have said, once you get to experience custom ROM's, it'll be hard to go back to stock ROM.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'd say it depends.
    Back when i had the Galaxy S II rooting was the best thing on earth, i flashed my phone almost daily. (Had tons of time available)

Now that i have the Galaxy S III it comes with so many software goodies that its not worth rooting because you will lose most of these things since its Samsung tech and not open source.

What i mean is:
    If you have a phone that does not have tons of proprietary features from the manufacturer then you may like rooting because it will allow you to flash your device with custom roms but if there are tons of features that you like (Such as in Samsung flagship devices) then you may not like flashing your phone because you will lose all those features. :D

7. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Rooting doesn't make you lose features. Just gives you admin rights to your phone. Flashing a custom ROM will, depending on what ROM you flash.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

On the downside rooting is a daunting process. There is a real possibility of "bricking" the phone, so you need to be confident about what you're doing. You may also be voiding the warranty on the phone.

On the upside if you just root and keep using the stock ROM you can freeze (or maybe remove?) bundled software that normally can't be uninstalled - that's a real plus. You can also run firewall software, ad blockers, etc, that require admin privileges. Some people like custom ROMs because you can get the pure Android OS without the carrier UI layered on top.

I recommend heading over to androidforums.com where you can find out more about the rooting process for your specific phone.

9. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

You can also check xda-developers for information regarding rooting and custom ROMs.

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Rooting does not mean loosing those features.
    You could use a customised version of the stock ROM.
    You can backup the OEM software and repackage it into another ROM.

Cheers, Nick

11. NGRhodes

Additional there is a big variation in phones between easy and hard to root and install custom roms. Some come rooted by default, many have built in recovery modes, allowing straight forward rom replacement.
    Good instructions will step you through installing recovery tools which greatly reduces risk of bricking.

Even reliable instructions can cause a bricked phone if you suffer a random hardware glitch at the wrong time.

Cheers Nick.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, if you know what you're doing - I certainly don't :) You have to ask yourself "if this goes wrong can I deal with not having a working phone, and the time and expense of replacing it?" My answer has always been No so I've left it alone.

13. NGRhodes

Plenty of ROMs about with OEM software in, or modified stock ROMs, no more risky than those built from source fully.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Oh crap, i forgot to add that i was talking about fllashing custom ROMs.
    Anyways, back on topic, im not an expert in these things but to be HONEST rooting is almost USELESS and a WASTE OF TIME if you don't flash custom ROMs.

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If you're going to root. As mentioned XDA-Developers & read, read, read, read.

I like the total control, backups take less than 5 minutes to make or restore. I say when Data is used not Apps. Etc.

16. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I've rooted both my and my wifes budget android phone.

I didnt use the latest ROM, in fact I used one thats two years old (still newer than the original operating system).

Both phones are faster, stable, more user friendly and now have all the little extras.

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I am not sure ... I think yes, if only because we're geeks and we must be in control.
    Mrk

18. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Depending on what phone you have and how much support there is for it, be aware that rooting carries a risk of making your phone unusable (what is called a brick). Or causing you headaches and trying to recover.

In general I support rooting the phone and running a custom rom, or even just root and thus have many useful apps. One of the nice things in Android is the root version of apps is free, e..g MyBackup. If you root, don't pick the latest custom rom unless you really know what you are doing - get an older, more stable rom if possible.

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thats why i love Samsung phones, tons of devs! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.