RollbackRx-- Conflicts or Failure??

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by aigle, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My backup with ATI still includes FDISR and its snapshots, because the recovery works. So there must be a difference between you and me. :)

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Peter~

I'm sure that's correct in the general sense, yet even Rollback's Baseline snapshot consumes far less space than that consumed by the actual backed-up sectors, so (as Erik suggests) it's got to be more complicated than that.

Whatever the methodology, Rollback still has a problem that is obviously system-configuration dependant (i.e., conflicts with other software). I say that because while some of us have experienced Rollback-induced crashes (with a resulting dirty-disk), others report total satisfaction. :doubt:

~pv

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  3. ErikAlbert

That's why FDISR doesn't have system-configuration problems, because it takes a snapshot of the entire system-configuration.
    Some users are satisfied about RB now, but what happens when they change their system-configuration, one that doesn't fit in RollbackRx. They will get in trouble just like the other users, having troubles with RB.
    I like to have a solution on long term and I don't want to be bothered by FDISR or RB, when I want to try another system configuration.

The bottom line is that FDISR seems to have a better methodology than RB that covers at least more different system configurations than RB.
    Maybe FDISR has also problems with some other system configurations, but you have to find one first to prove it.

I also had troubles with softwares in the past without having FDISR on my computer, but that is not related to FDISR.
    FDISR is supposed to solve your problems with other softwares, because you can go back to a good working snapshot.
    That's the main job of FDISR (and RB too) : restore your system.

4. pvsurfer

Erik, your position on this matter gets no arguement from me. As I have expressed (a few times over), Rollback is a diamond in the rough. It is very enticing because it's snapshots consume far less disk-storage and it is quicker to create/restore snapshots than other software of its type (at least that's why I shelled out my money for it).

But for a product that exists for the purpose of bailing us out of problem situations, it creates system problems (for some of us)... As a person involved in Software Quality Assurance, I see that aspect of Rollback's software development sadly lacking.

~pv

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There is. My FDISR protected partition is quite a bit bigger as I don't use any partitioning. My main partition is about 15gig.

6. ErikAlbert

I can understand your position too, but right now I like to have softwares that do their job.
    Softwares can always be fixed and that will happen to RB too, but I can't wait forever.
    The required space of FDISR isn't a problem for me, if it becomes a problem in the future, I always can buy the fixed RB, if it is fixed in time of course.
    This is common for all softwares, they get better and better and one day RB will have fixed its problems.

Snapshot softwares are just a part of my plans for the future and I don't have the time at this moment to test RB, because my plans aren't finished yet.
    I still don't find my solution for separating my system and data partition perfect enough and I want to try something else.
    This separation is more important for me, than FDISR or RB.

7. pvsurfer

That's my objective as well (and probably the goal of most software users around here).

At the time that I bought RB it was receiving glowing reports - no one had yet reported a problem. It has since become clear that FDISR would have been a smarter purchase (hind-sight is always 20-20). ;)

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So in the latest version they have not talked anything about fixing the issue which we are discussing. I wonder have they ever accepted this issue officially?

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have discussed this matter in the past and want to point it again that there seems to be a misconception about the space taken by RollBackRx. In my opinion it does not take so less space. See my post here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=737941

On my system I have currently 8 snapshots, my baseline is about 7 Giga and all other snapshots have max few giga of extra data, but I am lacking the HD space now. I don,t think I would have required much more space than this for the same no of snapshots if I would have been using FDISR.

The so called statement of

"Rollback rx only takes 0.07% of hard drive space to create the snapshot index structure to hold up to 60,000 snapshots"

is nothing but a deceiving statement( atleast to me) of modern bussiness/ advertisement trend. I really hate this attitude.
    They can sell the product and make enough money even without this behaviour but don,t want to loose even a single penny.

Also I haver found out some more issues but that are not really bugs, rather some improvements in options. settings etc. I would have raised these issues as well with the support but I think this is not the right time for that.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask from FDISR users. Can u transfer ur snapshots to a CD/ DVD and restore ur set up on a fresh install of OS.
    How much time it takes to make a new snapshot or to relload a snapshot.
    Also how fast is file synchronization while booting from one snapshot to another.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will post a follow up about my mailing with RollbackRx support today or tomorrow.

12. ErikAlbert

How long it takes to create new snapshots on my computer?
    My system partition contains 5gb, including FDISR + primary snapshot.
    A new snapshot = 6-8 minuts
    Rebooting to a snapshot is almost the same as a normal reboot.
    Archiving/restoring a snapshot takes about 5-6 minuts.

If I copy/update to an archive snapshot (.arx-file) it will have a size of 2,806mb (2.74gb).
    You can't do this directly on a CD/DVD. So you have to burn it later on CD/DVD.
    That is not an option for me.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Say u save them in a CD/DVD or external HD. In case of a HD failure, put a new HD, install OS and then u can get back to ur latest snapshot from external media. Am I true?

14. ErikAlbert

In theory it could work, but I wouldn't depend on it. I would try this first.
    I did alot of testing with Acrons TI in extreme situations, but not with FDISR.
    I don't really see FDISR as a backup utility, more as a system restore utility.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I mean if it can work then one might not need Acronis true image.

16. Peter2150

Aigle

This is a question that really belongs in the leap frog program. Why don't you post it there.

But also I'll answer briefly. I tried copying an archive, and there was an issue using it afterward. But you can export a snapshot to CD/DVD and then reimport the same. The reimport is only thru First Defense, so on a fresh install of OS you would have to install FDISR first. Time it takes to build a snapshot is a function of amount of data on the disk and disk speed. I have about 15g so it takes about 50 minutes to build a new snapshot on a snapshot to snapshot basis. Build a new snapshot from and archive is twice is fast as the c drive isn't doing both read and write. Updating a snapshot typically is less then 5 minutes. Again updating an archive is faster. You can't update exported snapshots. Finally the time to boot into another snapshot is the same as just rebooting.

Pete

17. Peter2150

I wouldn't recommend trying to break up an archive in FDISR to CD/DVD. If you want the archive ability, I would uses an external drive.

I would say I wouldn't get rid of Acronis, but use it less frequently.

What you could do if you only use First Defense archives, is keep them refreshed daily. Then if your disk died, you'd have to install some recent version of windows, your external drive drivers, and first defense. Then you could use the FDISR archive to bring you current.

What I am doing is imaging, but not often. Image has FDISR included but no snapshot. Restoring that gets me up, and then I use the archive to get current.

While I haven't restored an image, I have frequently used an archive to make a new snapshot that's bootable with no problem.

18. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I have a computer with two internal HDD's (60G & 80G) and an external 250G USB drive.
    I have HDD-1 (80G) divided into 7 partitions - c: Operating System & related files (13.9G); and 6 additional partitions for Program Files, Data, Downloaded Files, etc.

I use Rollback to monitor Drive C: only. I experiment with various combinations of AV's, FW's, other security programs and other programs. I take snapshots of the different combos so I can have a choice of which environment I use. In the event of an undesirable installation, I just restore to another snapshot. By having only the C: Drive monitored, I am able to do this easily without affecting all my other partitions containing data, downloads, etc.

So far, this has served me well over the past four months. I did have to manually restart the computer several times recently when the normal shutdown hung-up for an extended period of time. Those instances usually resulted in Rollback's running chkdsk and correcting any errors discovered. As far as I know, none of the snapshots was corrupted, although I didn't probably didn't restore into all of them subsequent to checkdisk's being run.

I am submitting this to relate my personal experiences to date with Rollback. I also plan to trial FDISR in the near future.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Peter! i know it was not the topic but I could not stop myself. Anyhow I will post few more questions in their forum.

20. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I really am sorry you guys are having some issues. I have had one small issue only the whole time I have been using RB and not even sure it was RB fault. I install software and uninstall almost daily. I have snapshots taken everyday automatically at 700 AM. I restore to other snapshots frequently. All with no problems. If I was aware the problems you are describing I would not have encouraged your purchase. I do know that HDS will do their best to correct these issues that you are having. If there is anything I can do to help please send me a pm or let me know here. If possible please give me a list of any software you have encountered that has caused you problems. I cvould read through all the threads but if you can post them again I will check them out.

Thanks,

Chris

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U need not to be sorry Chris as if there is something wrong in software it is not ur fault. I myself have recommended it in many forums but now I can,t until it is fixed.

22. Peter2150

Hey Chris I agree with Aigle. I bought two licenses with no regret. Even if it doesn't work for me at this point, I don't mind supporting them.

Software wise, in terms of possible issues, I am running Outpost, SSM, OA, Ghost Security, and KAV 6.0 beta's.

You want to try a simple test, do what I suggested to andrew.

1) With your system idle hit the power reset.
    2) While it's still finishing log on hit the power reset.
    3) Repeat in various combinations four or five times.

Then go back to a snapshot somewhere in the middle of your tree. Install and uninstall, save a new snapshot so you create a new branch. Then in that new snapshot repeat 1,2 and 3.

see how many times chkdsk runs and then see if you have any corrupted snapshot.

Lest this seems silly, couple of builds back with KAV, this is just what happened. After I was done I ran chkdsk. No errors(with FDISR)

Pete

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just for follow up, I have exchanged a few mails with Andrew and he has accepted that there is a conflict. According to him the problem is some conflicts with the rollbackRx kernel based driver, especially when u use softwares that work on low level in the system. (all words are mine).They are are working on it and a test verion is under trial. Acc to him they have done their job almost complete.
    He also provided me the link if I agree to test this version, however I am not able to do so due to certain reasons and i have informed him laready.
    Atleast i am now satisfied as they know and accept that there is a problem and they are working around it. I will post here if I get another update.
    thanks all of u.

24. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I used to be a GoBack user when it was owned by Roxio. Because GoBack was such a resource hog, I switched to ShadowUser about a year ago. It was okay but, not great...only one snapshot. I used ATI for my imaging and by using the incremental setting, I had several snapshots available on my external drives anyway.

In early April, I tried RollbackRx for about four days and I was so enamored with it's speed and overall design that I immediately and impatiently purchased 3 licenses. Everything worked great for about three weeks, then one of my machines crashed, Rollback did a chkdsk and I was unable to boot. I chalked this up to a hiccup, restored my ATI image, reinstalled Rollback and life went on. Then about a week or two later, the same thing happened on my other two machines (different configutions).

I called HDS tech support and spoke with Eric Sun who was very friendly, courteous and professional and sincerely tried to help me. I sent him several files that he requested. He said that they had a fix for the chkdsk problem and sent me an update (I think it was a beta since it is not on their website). I installed it on one of my machines on Friday before Memorial day and it immedialely crashed and went into a boot/reboot frenzy.

I removed all three licenses from my machines and called HDS on Tuesday after the holiday. Eric Sun even offered to drive over from Los Angeles (I am in Palm Springs, two to three hours away) to help me with the problem. I could not accept as I had already uninstalled the programs and have other commitments.

I really like all of the people I have worked with at HDS, but just can't afford to deal with the chkdsk problem. I have asked for a refund and they agreed, although they want a 15% restocking fee which seems unfair to me, since it is their program that is defective.

Eric also advised me that they are fervently working on the problem and will have an update out in the next month or two. I will keep my eye on this forum and on their website for news. I think that Rollback has the potential to be one of those "knockout" programs if they can get it debugged and include some sort of archive function. If this happens, I will be back. I am now in Trial with First Defense ISR and it is a very sophisticated and reliable program. However, it uses lots of storage resources and is much slower that Rollback was.

Anyway, that's my story and maybe it will be helpful to other evaluaters.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Silver, what AV, or oher real time scanners/ security programmes u used with RollBackRx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.