RollbackRx- any conflicts?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by aigle, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to try Rollback Rx but I am just afraid if it will conflict with any of security sofware I have. I am using NIS, ZA Pro trial, OA trial, PG free, Winpatrol free, MS antispyware, and shadowuser trial with occassional use of sandboxie.
    Any help will be appreciated.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have Rollback running nicely alongside DrWeb, Online Armor, A-squared Guard, ScriptDef, TaskCatcher, Kerio 2.1.5, Process Alert.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You should do just fine. Just be careful of any other programs that DEMAND control of your Master Boot Record. If you have any problems, I hear that the Rollback RX tech support is very good. Good luck.

Acadia

4. Heco

Heco Registered Member

After having used RB Pro for nealy 2 months, i have noticed that it does not "like" any software dedicated to compacting the registry. I experienced much difficulty to rollback to any snapshots performed after a registry compacting... i had to switch to a snapshot not affected by this task or previously taken. Did anybody encounter a similar problem?
    Cheers;)

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have used Amust registry compactor with no adverse affect. I did defragment the snapshots prior, to compacting. Amust compacts as part of the reboot, so I also defraged after wards. No issues at all.

6. Peter2150

Aigle, I am running RB with a lot of security software. However I think I'd remove shadowuser as it does play with reboots. I don't think Sanboxie should be a problem.

Pete

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So that means I have to uninstall ShadowUser, that reallly i don,t like. Any way to kep both?

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If you desire, you can use Rollback in much the way that you use ShadowUser with the same results. That's the nice thing about programs like RB and FD, you can use them like the Shadow programs, but they also do so much more. :cool:

Acadia

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The only conflict I had with RB when testing it was with a KAV beta. The Rollback Tray icon did not always start up, and the solution was to start it up manually from Start/Programs after everything else had loaded. This is a known issue with some AVs, but not everybody has experienced this it seems.

10. Peter2150

Hi Aigle

First I don't know if there is a conflict, but it is possible. I would check with the Rollback folks. One thing I really suspect is I would install Rollback and then Shadowuser. I would almost bet if you tried installing Rollback while in shadowmode you are going to end up with a big mess.

Secondly why would you want both. Personally I don't know what Shadowuser would offer that Rollback doesn't.

Pete

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Well I will be thakful if u can help in this.

That i am not going to do of course.

Really I don,t know, I jsut like SU, u just reboot and eveything is ok, even if ur system freezes, u can reboot from on off button of PC, In Rollback, I don,t know if your PC freezes, and not working at all, how u can restore system. Secondly, in SU eveything is virtual, so it makes sense that after reboot all the bugs are gone for good, but I don,t know in Rollback, when u rollback alll the bug are gone absolutely, or some traces may left deep inside the systyem, though not active( as there is still option of rolling forward, that means the data is there still on ur machine, no matter in which form. I am not really sure.
    Do u need reboot each time in Rollback also?

12. Peter2150

Hi Aigle

1) If you have questions about a particular use of Rollback then it is most appropriate for you to make contact.

2) If your PC freezes no problem. Just to a power reset and at the preboot point you can intercept Rollback and select the the snapshot to rollback to and all is well. I have done this. As far as any bugs or problems that might be left, you have an option when you rollback. You can either not make a snapshot of the system that had problems or you can. The advantage of doing so is after rolling back you can pull a data file out of the bad snapshot, and then delete the snapshot and it is gone.

I honestly don't see any advantage to Shadowuser over Rollback. I think ROllback is simpler to use.

Pete

13. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Thanks Peter for your report.
    Cheers

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I had a power outage. After power was restored & my computer was up & running again, I used FixIt to check directories. It reported a wrong count of free clusters in the boot record, so I said "Fix it."

Then I rebooted. Result: My desktop reloaded & looked normal BUT -- clicking on stuff produced no action. Everything was numb.

So I rebooted & restored last night's snapshot. Now everything is running okay but I am apprehensive about doing a FixIt or ScanDisk in the future.

Does anyone know (or have an opinion) as to whether Rollback "objects" to changes made by Scandisk-type activities?

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Peter.

Any idea What will be the status of my pc after the trial is over.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  16. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  17. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

No just trial version.

18. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I know with Rollback you don't need to use ghost images but I would like to know if there are any conflicts with imaging software such as Ghost or True Image.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

21. Peter2150

Actually no, but I guess you couldn't take snapshots or do restores. I think you would just have to uninstall it.

Pete

22. Peter2150

I haven't tried ghost, but there is no problem with True Image. Go thru the FAQ's on their website, as you might have to do an FDISK/mbr if you are restoring over an inplace disk.

23. Peter2150

I don't think Download.com has it right. When I did the trial everything worked. There just is a time limit. I bought it before time was up so, that wasn't an issue.

24. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

OK,thanks for the reply Peter.:)

25. Peter2150

H bellgamin

I'd be sure to check the option to only take images when system is in a consistent state. I had errors once, but I think(not sure) I might have uninstalled, cleaned the disk up, defragged and then reinstalled Rollback. I honestly don't remember. Might be a good question for their techsupport.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.