Rollback RX

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Dregg Heda, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Can this program be used as a virtualiser? I ask because one of the features listed on the rollback rx website claims that you can Roll-back, yet recover files from your "future" snapshot(s).

So theoretically i would be able to take a snapshot surf, finish surfing, take another snapshot rollback keeping the files I wanted and delete the snapshot I took after surfing. Is this right? Wouldn't this allow me to utillise Rollback as a virtualiser? What are the disadvantages to using this as opposed to a dedicated virtualiser like returnil or shadow defender?

For that matter can either returnil or shadow defender be used as backup software in a similar manner to rollback rx? All of these products use ISR technology right?

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I would say that yes, RollBack can be used this way, as a matter of fact I think I read on their site somewhere a suggestion that you do this sort of thing for testing new software. Returnil will definitely NOT do backups. It is strictly a virtualizer. With the paid version you can save files etc and I think you can even save the system state (but don't hold me to this) if you wish.

3. thathagat

thathagat Guest

hi.....take a look...

Attached Files:

4. Dregg Heda

Cool guys, sounds very promising. How long does rollback take to switch between snapshots? How easy and quick is it to explore a snapshot and recover files as opposed to recovering files from returnil or shadow defender? TIA!

5. bgoodman4

My experience in this area is very limited but from what I read on this forum a snap takes under 5 seconds and a typical restore 2 or 3 minutes. I have no idea how long it takes Shadow Defender.

6. Dregg Heda

Returnil?

7. bgoodman4

Yes, Returnil is fast but I just upgraded from the free version and have not tried saving files upon reboot yet.

8. thathagat

thathagat Guest

well returnil advises...Patience while commiting to save files....so might not be that quick......

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.