RollBack Rx version 9.1 Final Build 2694553610

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by nanana1, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

RollBack Rx version 9.1 Final Build 2694553610 for Windows 7

Released today.

hxxp://www.horizondatasys.com/177440.ihtml

RollBack Rx V9.1 Build 2694553610 - updated November 20th, 2009
    Release Info:

Rollback Rx v9.1 is an update release of the instant PC recovery software, Rollback Rx v9.0, from Horizon Datasys, it contains some minor updates and small bug fixes. For those who have Rollback Rx v9.0 setup on a Windows XP or Windows Vista system, there is no need to update. To install Rollback Rx v9.1, users should first uninstall any previous version of RollBack Rx.

What’s New:

The following are new features and updates in Rollback Rx v9.1:

•Windows 7 compatibility

•Updated device drivers to support Windows 7 power management

•New Windows 7 theme subsystem interface graphics

•New Windows 7 theme application console interface graphics

•Product activation during setup, one reboot for both setup and activation

•Added a command line switch to disable/enable hourly snapshot defrag

•Added a progress bar for take snapshot

•Removed “Disable direct disk IO” from system security

•Added a setup.ini configuration option for setup Rollback Rx beyond 128GB of hard disk.

•Added a setup.ini configuration option for setup Rollback Rx on a Windows based server

•Added a setup.ini configuration option for setup Rollback Rx without hooking system page file

•Disabled application console Windows resizing

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

culd u post any screenshots and is ther any news if that issue some people had with the pagefile was fixed?

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Not sure if this would fix the page file concern you mentioned.

"Added a setup.ini configuration option for setup Rollback Rx without hooking system page file":p

4. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

One screenshot here.:)

Snap1.jpg

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Yep, that should be it. I think since the last version it didn't show alert about the page file, but not sure. But that definitely sounds like the definitive fix.

Anyway, i downloaded it, but i am not installing it. I am quite happy right now with just Paragon taking differential backups and free defragment whenever i like.

I wish they would disable the "re-check product license online at every reboot during boot time" also. For me it's borderline spyware behaviour, since the Win7 Firewall doesn't see the request so early and i can't find a good reason of why Horizon should have my IP every time i switch my PC on. I activated the damn thing, the license is tied on 1 hard disk, so why don't you leave me alone?!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  6. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Same thing with Eaz-Fix and I agree. I wonder if Eaz-Fix will or have updated their build? Their site gives very little info on updates and none when it comes to fixes. A couple of weeks ago I re-installed but before doing so, I went to the site and noticed the build number had changed and was higher than the one I have. I downloaded, installed and it seems to have stopped the event viewer errors. After reading this topic about Rx update, I went back to the site to see if the build number had changed with a possible update. It had changed, it was now lower than the version I had previously installed,lol. I'm leaving it as is for now until something equal or better comes along.

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

It was mentioned that with Eaz-Fix version 9.1, they would be released a few weeks after RollBack Rx v9.1 and would also detach the disk imaging feature just like what RollBack did quite a while back making it a 8MB instead of the 57MB for Eaz-Fix.:p

Please be informed.:cool:

8. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hmm, that doesn't sound good. I use the disk image/restore and like it alot. As far as Eaz-Fix snapshot/rollback, I've used it quite alot getting Win 7 fixed the way I wanted and haven't had any problems. If it's working for me, is there any need to update? Also, if I do have to update and the imaging part is removed, how about Eaz-Image stand alone? Has anyone tried it and does it work as well as imaging freebie given with Eaz-Fix 9.0?

9. firzen771

well the new GUI does look slightly nicer and glad to hear about that pagefile thing.

10. Fuzzfas

I haven't tried the EAZ-Image, but i would expect to have the same imaging engine. They are like sister companies with Rollback and the whole issue of detaching the imaging part of the software from EAZ Fix/Rollback, was exactly so that they can be able to sell 2 softwares separately, so that they can get more $.

11. firzen771

just installed the the new version and so far so good, i can confirm the pagefile issue IS fixed :thumb:

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Not exactly true.:p

It's just the Eaz-Fix and Eaz-Image are 2 different concepts and putting them together confuses the users. Just like many users expect Eaz-Image to be able to image all the Eaz-Fix snapshots which it is not capable of.:cool:

13. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

its about time they make a WIN7 version lol , comodo time machine got it long time a go :)

cheers

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  14. firzen771

but that is still in beta...

15. Fuzzfas

I can accept that as a concept, however i have some objections:

1) Users of rollback technology, i would expect that are savvy enough to know also what "imaging" is and make the distinction. I mean, imaging is much more "old" and known technology, even Win7 has its own incorporated tool now. So, if one user is knowledgeable enough to discover "rollback" and understand it, i presume he is also aware of what the menus about imaging are about.

2) Even if the user is dumb and can't understand that "ISR" is different than "imaging", they could still maintain the feature as an optional installation feature in the installer for those that DO understand that imaging is another thing. You can have the box "install also imaging software" deselected by default, since newbies usually install without changing anything.

3) You could install the imaging feature and have it greyed out and turned on on demand in advanced options for those who are savvy enough to fiddle with advanced options and know what's imaging.

I mean, i think it's a bit too drastical to simply axe a so important feature, only because you 're worried for that your poor users will be confused and won't be able to use the product. There are help files too. There are wizards too.

I think a user that ignores what imaging is, as compared to ISR, will have much more trouble to figure out that he must not use his external defragmenter and use the built-in only, than to figure what's imaging.

16. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Good points !:D

I think they just want to keep things simple and separate : Eaz-Fix and Eaz-Image. In that way, users can choose what they want. The developers can focus on specific bugs and release updates as necessary. As an example, the last 2 versions of Eaz-Fix were updated due to updates for Eaz-Image and nothing was changed for the Eaz-Fix part and so on.

Also, some users here prefer to use DS, Paragon, Macrium as their preferred imaging s/w, and like to use Eaz-Fix only (without Eaz-Image).

So, in future, they now have the flexibility and choice. If you need both, you can get both s/w.:p

17. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

From HDS folks on 23rd may 2009 :

" The public release of EAZ FIX has not been updated yet. It currently still has the Drive Imaging application included; whereas we removed the Drive Cloner Rx and introduced it as a separate product. Our resellers and OEMs' will soon follow suit.

FYI. The first to be updated is RollBack Rx along with builds for all our resellers / OEM customers. Once all the OEM builds are completed we then update the build on the EAZ Solutions website."

18. Fuzzfas

I can understand the concept and commercially is probably easier to handle as far as naming is concerned.

But, my objection is, when you remove a feature, for which you actually PAID for, you don't add flexibility. You add flexibility when you give options on what to install.

Take Open Office. It has different packages inside. When i was using it, i was usually installing only the word processor and the power point equivalent. I could choose what to install. That's flexibility.

In EAZ Fix's/Rollback case, i think it's marketing. Because they aren't the first nor the last software with multiple features.

I HOPE, that at least, once they separate their products, they will reduce the price of each. I think it's only fair. Otherwise it's just about $. Cause i see no flexibility if you remove a feature and keep charging the same amount of money.

Myself, i bought the EAZ Fix in September. And when i paid for it, it was supposed to have imaging capability as well. When they remove it, will i get a free license for EAZ image? Cause if not, how is it flexible to pay for a product where they remove a feature that was there when i bought it? :D

Anyway, this is just as concept, i don't care so much anymore, since the "phone-home during boot" issue has pissed me enough to probably ditch it completely.

They can split in 5 different software for all i care, they ain't gonna get new money from me. I am also disappointed for the fact that my FD-PC Rescue license is less than 1 year old if i remember correctly and i would at least expect them to release a version that fixes the recognition of the Win7 boot sector, before telling me "no support on Win7, dude, sorry, you may as well throw that license away".

Ok, i stop it here, since i am not objective at all towards them. I won't be buying anything else from them.

Well, yes, their previous version was supposed to be Win7 compatible too (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257585&highlight=rollback), but , well, not completely, as i found out later when i tried to uninstall it and wouldn't uninstall correctly and had to reinstall Windows.

They should clarify in their releases "Win7 compatible, but with event viewer errors, a small page file error hooking issue and a bit of uninstallation problem".

Then the next one "Trully Win7 compatible version, this time believe us".

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  19. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I can only speak re. my experience with moving from RB Rx v8 to v9, and in that case they provided all license holders who wanted it with a free license for Drive Cloner RX. Having said that one had to pay to move to RB Rx v9, as per the established policy that the license that one buys relates ONLY to the version you buy it for, i.e, it is not transferable between versions...or not a subscription as done by a number of other products.

Don't really know what EAZ will do...but I doubt that it will be any different. ;)

20. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

so? i am using it for some time and it does the same as RB which i was using for 2 years and even much better (faster) ;)

21. firzen771

because beta software is beta for a reason because its not advised to be used on production machines unless ur willing to take the chance, with this type of software tho, im not willing to take that chance. once its out of beta is when ill consider CTM as a replacement.

22. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I'm now wondering why EAZ folks told me it was doable with Win 7. Well let me re-phrase that, they said it was compatible with Win 7, dual booting with XP. Anywho, if they drop the Imaging part, does that mean they drop the price of Eaz-Fix? I might give the Win 7 imaging a try and hope for the best. Past experience with Paragon, Drive ImageXML and Macrium was not good. Drive ImageXML worked as far as making the images but I never could get a boot disk/cd to work. Paragon's boot disk worked but never could see my E: drive where backup images were stored. Macrium always verified the image it made was bad. That's the best I remember although the last two I mention may be reversed as far as the problems I had. Can't remember for sure. I do know that the imaging/restore part of Eaz-Fix always worked without problems. The restore interface was a little hard for me to figure out to start with and left me feeling not confident that I made the right choices for the restore. process

23. fce

fce Registered Member

is it worth to convert from v8 to v9?

initially i dumped v9 because lots of buggies.

i dont use imaging feature of v8.

24. firzen771

i think so.

25. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Hi
    I'm not really in to snapshots but I like this program. What other snapshot programs are there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.