Rollback Rx Ver8.1 will be out by Sept. 6

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by fce, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

After using ShadowProtect Desktop3 (overrated software), ATI10 (pretty good product except my bad experience with bootable disc (Vista "sector offset") and FDISR (not 100% vista ready)....i'm now waiting for the release of Rollback Rx Ver. 8.1

Forget CHKDSK issue it's only a myth, until it can be proven. Bottomline is it is hard to say that it is a bug.

The most biggest change is the Bart PE is replaced with a more robust LINUX PE for offline backup. :thumb:

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

WinVISTA is your main problem, not the other softwares. :D

3. fce

fce Registered Member

well if they will not adjust to Vista that's their problem :D

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

My friend FCe you are in for an education.

I don't know how you can say Shadow Protect is over rated, as you haven't really tested it.

FDISR does work on Vista. Worked for me here on Vista just fine. May have problems on your box.

I am glad that you think the Rollback issues are a myth. Just realize that if you do get proven wrong, murphies law says it will hit at the worst possible time.

Good Luck

5. fce

fce Registered Member

Yes that's right. Its only a myth.

Did you experience CHKDSK/RBRx issue by yourself and requested support ticket to Horizon? If yes, what's the holdup 'til now they can't fixed the problem?

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

As always it is the setup that determines how a software will perform on any given computer.
    FDISR is 100% Vista compatible and so is SP in my machine.
    I wanted to give Rollback 8 a try again after my not so good experience with 7.2, but in my machine it wasn't "Vista ready" ;) , (RB wouldnt load once installed)hopefully 8.1 will be more compatible.

7. fce

fce Registered Member

Btw, my suggestion to new user who wants to try imaging software or system recovery system (whatever you call it).....don't start with Rollback Rx.

Start with SPD3 or ATI....you will be dissapointed if you try RBRx first then going to SPD3 or ATI.

The back-up and restore time is very dissapointing. Waiting for almost 15 to 30minutes using SPD3 or ATI compare to less than 1minute of RBRx.

0.02cents ;)

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yes, anyone who compares Shadowprotect or ATI with Rollback (or FDISR) is bound to be disappointed, they are different sorts of software. The latter are not backup solutions. SP and RB are both sort of disaster recovery, but Rollback and FDISR are specifically made with the restore time in mind. I believe I read that the developer of FDISR created FDISR for the specific purpose to be fast recovery. Imaging solutions like ATI and SP are by nature slow(er). RB and FDISR wont save anyone when the hard drive fails, imaging will. And if the main hard drive fails, imaging software are way much faster to use than Rollback or FDISR.

9. ErikAlbert

Indeed, I'm trying to tell this to our dear member "fce" after writing numerous posts, but he doesn't seem to understand the differences between Image Backup and Immediate System Recovery.

10. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

I keep reading people say this, but I'm a little fuzzy why FD-ISR wouldn't save me if my primary hard drive failed. If it did, why couldn't I do the following:

1. Replace the failed hard drive with a new one.
    2. Use my HP recovery DVDs to install operating system and preloaded HP software.
    3. Install FD-ISR.
    4. Create secondary snapshot.
    5. Copy an archive snapshot of my pre-crash C drive to the secondary snapshot.
    6. Reboot into the secondary snapshot thereby returning my C drive to its pre-crash state.

While I always use at least one imaging program along with FD-ISR, it seems to me that FD-ISR is also capable of restoring a PC if a hard drive fails, albeit not as easily as ATI, Paragon or SP could.

11. Peter2150

You are absolutely right. I have actually tested this scenario, by restoring initial system image, installing FDISR, creating my secondary from it's archive, then booting to it. FInally restoring primary and bingo. All restored. It works.

Fce. You have a choice. You can learn from our experience or the hard way.

12. ErikAlbert

Of course a recovery cd + FDISR will restore your computer, IF your personal data is stored in the archives as well.
    That is the same as restoring an image with "Windows + FDISR" and restore each snapshot with FDISR.
    That is certainly not a solution for everybody and certainly not in my case : I have two harddisks : system and data.

13. fce

fce Registered Member

Pete, i think its also the same with Rollback Rx.

14. Peter2150

Not near as easily. I think you need to boot to the bartpe disk to do it.

15. fce

fce Registered Member

yes and ver 8.1 includes LINUX PE for offline backup sames as ATI Recovery disc.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

PARAGON performs reasonably fast enough for my units either making or restoring, plus the CD-Recovery Disk can do the same exact thing for those who don't trust HOT PROCESSING like i do. Not yet had a single instance where it failed me.

As far as SP overrated? That's neither here nor there with me. Don't use it, and will not use it untill after some time has passed and all results are satisfactory like what's been made of it so far.

As far as RollBackRX, if this next version pukes on my units just once, i'll never look that way again. I'm always willing to give benefit of the doubt and believe everything deserves a second, sometimes third chance to redeem credibility.

17. Peter2150

Linux Pe is totally useless to me. Won't run on one of my boxes.

18. fce

fce Registered Member

I think ATI is using Linux environment also, i got some PCI error message but still i can't boot and do recovery under Linux environment.

i hope this Linux PE included in RBRx ver. 8.1 will work well in my Vista.

19. ErikAlbert

Yes, ATI has a function to create the Acronis Rescue CD and that is Linux.
    This CD was very slow on my computer, SP does the same job more than 3 times faster.
    I never combined it with BartPE, because I don't consider this as my job. It's Acronis's job to give me a good working Recovery CD. I call that bad service.
    StorageCraft gave me a ready-to-use Recovery CD and that was ONE of the reasons why I replaced ATI with SP.

I'm preparing my re-installation from scratch with SP at this moment, so I'm doing alot of backups and restores with SP of my new and actual system partition. It never failed until now and that makes me forget the other problems, I have with SP. Nothing is perfect. :)

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

ESPECIALLY SOFTWARE! :doubt:

At least with some of them, and those are usually the ones we expected to show at least some promise.

The word "FAILED" sends cosmocasms thru my spine especially when it involves backup imaging programs. Because if they go, there goes a lot of total annihilation of confidence. LoL

I found the BEST way to gain some advantage against those failures is right back to square one like in the security arena.

The Layered Approach. :thumb:

After my own software debacle i made an easy choice of now Imaging with NOT ONE but TWO different imaging programs, that way if the one just happens by some strange circumstance beyond your control, suffers defeat, you can always turn to the other backup. Heck, with that in mind, i may even go a THIRD program since i do have licenses for 2 really dependable backup programs and the third one although limited to Seagate, is ATI from DiscWizard for Seagate.

Good Luck. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.