Rollback Rx v9.0 - any problems?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Baldrick, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there

I am going to upgrade to RB Rx v9 (but just have not had the time to do so yet) but was wondering if anyone out there has and if so what the feedback is like on the 'new' version apart from the usual 'Imaging is now split out into a separate product', etc.

Any stability or compatability issues, or the like o_O

Once I have installed I will try to post back with my experiences and perhaps we could use this thread as a basis to collect this sort of information? :D

Cheers

Baldrick

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I am in the same boat as you, waiting to hear how stable the new version is before I upgrade. I just bought my licence for the previous version of RB (just over a week ago) and would rather not upgrade until I have a good idea that I will not be upgrading to problems. Horizon tells me I have 60 days to upgrade for free so I will wait a bit and see what others think about the new version.

I am glad you started this thread, thanks.

3. fce

fce Registered Member

ver.9 is very sensitive, i try it twice but it didnt work. also, my chkdsk run don't know why.
    My security software giving me lots of error when i installed ver. 9 of rollback.

My advise is stay away from ver.9 and stay with ver.8.1 for now.

4. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

1. The initial builds of v7 and v8 had bugs/issues, so why expect v9 to be any better in that respect?

2. If you guys are satisfied with the version-build you're now using, why the obsession to upgrade?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. bgoodman4

Given that I had just bought a licence for RB before the release of the latest version I asked Horizon how long I had to get the free upgrade. They told me 60 days. I responded that I do not like to upgrade or purchase new software when it has just been released because it is often rather buggy. The response I got back was that this release is not new software, that its built on the previous version and that it would be almost bug free if not completely bug free. I guess the Horizon staffer was wrong and I will continue to wait. If I have to pay to upgrade in 3 or 4 month I would rather do that than be faced with problems.

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

o_O
    What is that nonsense?
    According to their upgrade policy they are obbligated to provide you the upgrade license key.
    If you want to use it or not and when you want to use it, its only for you to decide!

Panagiotis

7. Aaron Here

I suggest you grab the free v9 license and wait for v9.1 ;)

8. fce

fce Registered Member

good suggestion.

9. bgoodman4

They told me I had to activate the upgrade within the 60 day period or it would not be valid.

Here is a paraphrase from the chat I had with a chat supervisor. I am paraphrasing since we are not allowed to directly post another persons words without that persons permission.

I will be able to get a free upgrade to v9 because my purchase was so recent.
    I will not however be permitted to use my current version for a few months and then use v9 for free.
    I can either upgrade now for free (with a free copy of Clone Driver Rx) or I can keep my current version and upgrade at a later date and pay for the new licence.
    Once I get an activation code for v9 my existing code being used by v8.1 will no longer be active.
    I have 60 days from the time of my original purchase to upgrade to a newer version. Per their upgrade policy.

Now maybe I misunderstood what I was told but I made it clear I wanted to download the upgrade and then wait a few months to activate it. I was told I could not do this. If you have not used RB here is how it works (I think I have this right). You download the product, install it, enter the licence key, activate the program via the Internet (the program contacts Horizon, there is nothing I do other than select activate). Until the program is activated it will not work and it has to be activated within the 60 day window.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  10. Baldrick

Hi Aaron

I take your point but as far as I am concerned it is not an obsession. RBRx v8.1 has lengthened my PC's boot up time rather a lot (I am one of the 3% or so that HDS acknowledge are still affected by this) and apparently v9 should completely resolve this issue.

I put up with the boot time issue because of the protection that RBRx gives me...thats all :D

11. Aaron Here

Understood, but how many times do you bootup (or reboot) every day? I can't believe the 'lost'time' is that much of a hardship (certainly nothing compared to the issues that v9.0 bugs may well introduce)!

12. fce

fce Registered Member

RBRX ver8.1 eat ~30secs of my boot up time...ver9 improved my boot up time almost 20secs.

my suggestion is, keep away with ver.9 for now. when my new HDD arrive i'll install my ver8.1 for sure.

13. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Go ahead and upgrade to v.9 since it's free for you anyway. The license is perpetual for the other version and you can always run that one instead if you don't like the new version. That way you'll have both.

Tim

14. Baldrick

Again, a good point but given that I test or try a fair amount of software I tend to roll back 2 or 3 times a day (and maybe more at the weekends) so it does sort of count...if you see what i mean? :D

15. Baldrick

Interesting, especially when HDS claim that V9 is really only an update of v8.1with those changes included.

16. bgoodman4

Not true according to Horizon, once I activate the new version the old one will not work. I don't know how they can accomplish this but thats what they told me. Can someone confirm this? I would hate to wind up struggling with a new/buggy release just because I assumed something which was not in fact the case.

17. bgoodman4

I have learned to be sceptical of all claims about the quality and stability of a program that are made by the publisher or reseller of a program. I put much more stock in end users opinions. They don't have any ulterior motives,,,,,well, not usually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.