Rollback Rx - uninstall issue

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Creer, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hello,

yesterday i have installed Rollback Rx on my computer. I have one hard drive with 2 partitions: C and D... i should say i had...
    Today i decided to uninstall Rollback and after boot my windows again (xp with sp3) i have seen only one partition C (system partition) but i lost somewhere my D (data) partition. How can i fix it without losing my data? :ninja:

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Creer

I would seem likely that your MBR has been corrupted during the uninstall. You may want to take a look at the following post by Jo Ann

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1428224&postcount=49

which refers to a mechanism that can help in such circumstances. I am no expert in this area but with a bit of luck Jo Ann and the other regulars who are will be along soon to offer some help. :)

EDIT: You could also try checking as to whether the 'missing' partition is still there by:

Right Click on My Computer icon
    Select Manage from the context menu
    Select Disk Management from the left hand side tree

and see if yo can see all your partitions that way. If you can now see the 'missing' partition I believe that
    there may be a way to mark it as Active under the Action drop down & then slecting All Tasks. But go
    cautiously with this and check the help file first.

This may or may not reveal anything but it may be a start to working out what has happened and where
    you can go from there.

Finally, you could Google for articles using "partition missing after Rollback Rx uninstall" or something
    similar. I got some interesting hits with that but do not have the time to wade through them for you at
    present. Apologies. :doubt:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  3. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Thank you Baldric for help i have tried few solutions.
    First i have done mbrfix & restart - and no results.
    Next i have done restored my C partition with MBR by Shadow Protect Desktop from one month image - no results.
    It looks like Rollback Rx deleted all my data from D partition, please look at attach.
    Fortunatelly i have one-day data backup D partition on external disk...

I have no idea why Rollback do this to me :cautious: o_O

BTW. now should i right mouse click on this green partition and choose New Logical Drive? or what? i want my free ~25GB back.
    hd.PNG

4. Baldrick

I do not think that Rollback has 'deleted' any data. It does not work like that. It processes disk acess through its own kernel level drivers and stores pointers to sectors that change in its own file system and as a result of the two it effectively 'locks' the data.

What you could try is to (i) go to the Support part of the Horizon DataSys website (http://support.horizondatasys.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=4443) and check the Knowledge Base or try the Troubleshooter which I think covers uninstall issues. If that fails yo could try logging a support ticket at the same place. If you describe the circumstances of the uninstall and what you have already posted on this thread they may be able to offer advice...but as they are in Canada/US and it is the weekend it may take longer than yo are prepared to wait to get a response.

Not sure on this one. I would see if you get a more learned poster than me on the case. Better safe than sorry. But will continue to search for a solution for you.

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Ok so it looks like Rollback Rx really deleted my all files from Data partition during Uninstall. I remember that uninstall process takes long time about 7min (before Windows boot) and hard disk still worked during this. In Rollback Rx i had C and D protected partition, after uninstall D partition had deleted.

After that i had to create new logical drive and format them. Now i get back my 25GB of free space, but i still don't understand how rollback could do this.

6. Baldrick

I am still not convinced that RB Rx physically deleted any data given that, as I said before, the way that it snapshots is to store pointers to changed sectors and not copy the data as GoBack does, etc. It does however modify the MBR and installs its own drivers to through which the disk i/o is routed so that it can track what has changed, etc. It is probable that your MBR is corrupted as a result of the uninstall and so that is why you cannot see the partition. I suspect that the data is there but just not visible to Windows.

Personally I only have my C: drive protected with only one partition on it and so any uninstall/reinstall has never caused me a problem in the past. I believe that by default RB Rx protects only C: and that one has to used advanced settings to protect something other than the root drive/partition.

If you have already done that then you have most probably no chance of getting the original contents back. I was going to suggest reinstalling RB Rx as you did first time to see if it would 'see' your 'missing' partition again.

If you have not then hold fire re. doing that as some of the more learned posters are in the US and they should be coming on line very shortly. They may have a solution that allows you to get your data back.

Apologies for not being of much help. o_O

7. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Peter,

I just popped-in and saw your thread. It is possible that uninstalling RB somehow messed-up your partition-table.

However, I'm not sure about the status at this point in time. Am I to understand that you have formatted the drive? :doubt:

Seeing (in your sig) that you have ShadowProtect, do you not have a disk-image that you can use to either recover your MBR (and partition-table), and/or your D-partition?

JA

8. digibone

digibone Registered Member

I'm also having this problem, have tried R-Studio, Partition Table Doctor, Active Partition Recovery and none have able to restore my d: drive back. Can somebody help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.