Rollback RX question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by cgeek, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Is it possible to defragment the HDD while using Rollback RX?

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

the best way is to uninstall from the subconsole at boot time then defrag.
    it's also the way to go if you want to image your system.
    then when you're finished reinstall RX.

you only need to do a defrag once every couple of months.
    no big deal.

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

cgeek,

As moontan indicates, that's a definite no-no, instead just use RB's snapshot-defrag (which is all you really need to do insofar as defragging). A disk-degrag should be done before installing RB. If you feel a compelling need to do a disk-defrag after RB has been installed, you would be best advised to uninstall RB beforehand, do your disk-defrag and then re-install RB.

However, I happen to disagree with moontan on his disk-imaging advice, and have submitted several posts to that effect.

Aaron

4. moontan

i'm interested in knowing more.
    care to feed me a link or 2? :)

5. guest

guest Guest

No. You can not use defrag tools, hdd encryption tools, shadow defender and similar tools with rollback rx, ctm and their clones

Probably you can not use secure erase tools with rollback rx (especially wipe free disk space option)

6. Aaron Here

I could search for those posts, but it's easier to just express my feelings on the subject off the top of my head.

While uninstalling RB, making a disk-image, and then re-installing RB gets the imaging job done, it just doesn’t make any sense to me because…

a) The effort in doing that is greater than making an ‘all-sectors’ image (described below).
    b) Once you uninstall RB, you lose all snapshots (other than your current snapshot)!
    c) Finally, HDS (in their infinite wisdom) limits the number of times you can activate RB.

Instead, why not image your entire system partition including the RB environment (with all of its snapshots)? To do this you must first boot into a 'live' OS (DOS/BartPE/WinPE/Linux) and then run an ‘all-sectors’ backup (also called ‘sector-by-sector’ 'raw mode' ‘maintenance mode’ and ‘forensic mode’) of your C-partition from that other live OS.

If you have one large C-drive, I strongly advise partitioning it using any one of several available disk-partitioning programs to where the C-partition is just large enough for Windows, your browser, other system-related files, your programs, RB and a decent amount of free space for RB’s snapshots. Put your personal files (data, docs, music, photos, etc.) on your D-partition. If you don't do this, the image-backup method I'm advocating will be a PITA. However, with a reasonably-sized system partition it's a piece of cake. ;)

Aaron

7. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I've tried and I found that it is actually possible to use Light Virtualization software like ShadowDefender and Returnil with ISR software but it'll only protect the particular 'snapshot(s)' in which you have the LV software installed.

I'm not so sure but perhaps this quote by Coldmoon may help to understand why so:

Source: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=68817

If anyone else knows anything or a caution why it isn't advisable to do so, please do tell me..

8. moontan

i could live with the first 2 but c) might be a problem.
    i've never done sector by sector imaging but i'll look into it.

tnx for taking the time Aaron.
    -----------------------------
    edit:
    from what i gathered on the Rollback RX official support forum re-activation
    should not be a problem as long as you don't replace your hard drive.

you can contact support if you ever need to change your HD.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  9. Aaron Here

No problem moontan ...even if you can live with my first two objections to the uninstall-reinstall method for making a disk image, I'd sure be interested as to why?

Regarding the 'maximum number of activations' issue, I can tell you from experience (happened to me when upgrading to the current build) that it's a fact and a big nuissance! HDS support will reinstate your activation (eventually) after it happens and you report it to them, but again I have to ask why?

Aaron

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  10. moontan

@ Aaron

i'd rather not have to do a sector by sector imaging unless i really have to.
    i am used to work with the way Windows 7 does imaging and restoring and for me uninstalling & re-installing RX is a minor nuisance.
    i'll cross the bridge of too many activations when i get there.

losing all my snapshots is no big deal since once my machine is set up the way i want i don't plant in having more than 3-4 snapshots stored in RX anyway.
    i plan to use RX like i was using Shadow Defender, mostly like an utility to "reboot to freshness" so to speak.

11. Aaron Here

Just goes to validate the proverb "different strokes for different folks". ;)

Happy New Year!

12. moontan

Happy new year to you and your loved ones as well! :)

13. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I uninstall Rx monthly and do PC maintenance. Early on I ran the snapshot defrager just before doing my monthly chores and when I ran Diskeeper (RX uninstalled) it showed the drive was very fragmented. In addition my PC is def faster when I have completed my chores and reinstalled RX, so something is happening to make a diff.

And yes, you certainly can image with Rx installed as you have said but it must be a sector by sector image which is much slower and takes up more space. May not be an issue for some as external media is pretty cheap these days but for other it may be. Besides, as I have just posted elsewhere, there are other reasons to uninstall RX regularly and then reinstall it.

14. bgoodman4

I have been using my version of Rx for about 2 years now and I uninstal and reinstall monthly. Thats about 24 activations. Do you know how many activations are permitted? Are you certain of this?

15. bgoodman4

For sure,,,,

,,,,and Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

16. moontan

i dont think activation is an issue as long as you dont change your HD.
    that is what i gathered from the official Rollback forum.

17. bgoodman4

Thank you.

18. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi there,

What I understand one can do defrag (Diskeeper and so forth) while Rollback RX is still installed.

RX people suggested to run a script in evaluated command mode, run the script, defrag (Diskeeper and so forth) and then create a new baseline. Which again loosing all the snapshots but one doesn't have to uninstall the Rollback RX.

Somebody, raised the question why not a new baseline before the defrag (Diskeeper and so forth), so the discussion stopped there.

Well do both a baseline snapshot before the defrag (Diskeeper and so forth) and one right after the defrag (Diskeeper and so forth). But you don't have to uninstall Rollback RX.

Best regards,

KOR!

Happy New Year!

19. moontan

it is not that big of a deal do uninstall RX from the subconsole.
    it only takes a couple of minute and then another couple of minutes to re-install.

20. bgoodman4

Sounds reasonable,,,,, I must have missed the thread. Thanks for the info.

21. bgoodman4

Exactly, each to their own as was said above. As long as what you are doing meets your needs and you understand the pros and cons its a good approach whatever it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.