Rollback Rx Pro on Vista

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Any I dea why Rollback wont defrag with it's Inbuilt defragmenter?, I defragged with PD8 before I installed it,and there wasnt a single fragment on My Drive, it was spotless :D but when I installed, the first snapshot was 104MB compared with the first snapshot being about 24MB on XP Pro, now the damn thing wont defrag the snapshots :blink:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Are you sure Rollback is supported on Vista?

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well I sent them a support question asking will it work on Vista and they sent a reply back saying It Will o_O

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

never heard of Rollback Rx Pro,

is it the same as first defense?

could i create a snapshot (just after a format / fresh installation of vista) and forever keep that snapshot, without it changing?

if so, it might be software i might look into.

the acronis i have used for years, can be a pain as it takes 10-20 mins to load up my fresh install image, and snapshots dont usually take that.

5. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

You should NOT defrag when using Rollback Rx!

It has been reported by some people that defragging does not cause problems, but due to the way Rb Rx works this is not guaranteed.

I can explain further, if required.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Read again what I said please, I said Using the Inbuilt Defragmenter ( in other words Rollback Rx's Own Defragmenter that defrags the snapshots at intervals) :)

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Take a look here C.S.J :)

http://www.horizondatasys.com/169614.ihtml

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, i might give it a try.

how big are these snapshots, i just want one from a fresh start mainly, how big would it be?

i like the idea of firstdefense, but after i booted to my "fresh start snapshot" it changed the original files of that snapshot, and it was no longer a fresh start, i hope this one, will never change the snapshot without my permission. :)

9. Peter2150

The only time I've had anything ever change in a First Defense snapshot, is thru some kind of autoupdate mechanism of software in the snapshot.

Pete

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it just seemed to keep locking up my old windows Me test pc.
    i dono if i could of done anything to stop that.
    i thought the idea was you create multiple snapshots and name them so you can test software but when i pressed create snapshot it didnt aask me to name it and onloy had one snapshot.
    and also what the hell is the baseline snapshot and when do you tell it to create a baseline snapshot?
    oh btw i tryed the standard version. it seems the professinal version is for software testing
    this might be better in a new thread.
    lodore

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

rollback rx looks great, working on vista.

each snapshot takes soooooo little HD SPACE, it doesnt alter my free space amount. *lol*

also, it gives the option to LOCK the snapshot, am i correct in assuming that this fresh snapshot will never be altered in ANY WAY if i lock it?

gonna test it, gonna install NOD32, do a full scan, reboot and try the snapshot. then back to panda, hopefully.

edit:

it totally worked, cant believe it did actually... zero space on my HD practically, acronis takes 10-20 mins and takes up 3gb and firstdefense takes seconds to boot, but takes 5gb.

how?... i mean, just how? *lol*

well impressed.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  12. Peter2150

Don't get too excited. The stuff you add is indeed taking space. It's just that when you look at free space in windows it may not see it directly. That is because Rollback keeps it's own database of the sectors in use, so windows might not see it. Note that the figure they quote for the disk space of a snapshot is for their index, not the data.

Pete

13. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Any snapshot will never get modified. Period.
    You do have the option to update the baseline, though.
    Locking a snapshot protects it from deleting.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i need to reinstall my windows Me test system.
    as soon as i installed rollback rx i got error messages and it seemed really slow but if i uninstalled rollback it went back to normal.
    just as test i installed nod32 trial on that pc and it took 3minutes to complete.
    nod32 took 8 minutes 30seconds to do a scan with rollback rx installed since rollback kept on using nearly 100percent cpu.
    so i might as well reinstall windows Me since all there is on it is like two programs :D
    lodore

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

wrong,

firstdefense changed my snapshot after booting to it.

16. wilbertnl

We were talking about Rollback RX, would you not agree?

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

not the comment i made about changing my snapshot, it was about FD. :rolleyes:

anyway, rollback is different, its working fantastic.

i tried MS ONE CARE, on vista.... i know *sigh*

however, it didnt get through a full scan before it BSOD. (it cant be vista compat)

then it said windows cannot boot, corrupt or missing registry file.

so, was really hoping my rollback rx worked, and guess what......IT DID :D

back to a fresh clean start, i recommend this software, BIG TIME!

18. wilbertnl

Does FD-ISR come with a baseline?

19. Peter2150

Sort of. When you install it, it call's the original c: drive the primary snapshot. But unlike Rollback, from there on it's just one of the boys, and you can update it from other snapshots. Pro's and con's to both approaches. Just need to understand what you are working with.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

anyway,

with FD once i booted to my secondary snapshot, it then changed it when i wanted to go back to a fresh start again.

with rollback rx, im not having this problem, its working flawlessly and using less space on my computer.

i cant believe its taken me this long to find rollback rx, its just what i was looking for.

21. wilbertnl

Release 8 (of Rollback RX) is expected next month.

22. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Of course it will. That's the whole idea.

When you first install FD, you get the snapshot called Primary, call it A. You copy it to make another snapshot, B - Secondary. A and B are identical at that point. You boot into B, do some stuff, then boot back into A, and yes, you'll find it different - it won't have the changes you made in B. You can copy B to A so that they then become identical if you wish.

That's a very simplistic description of how it can work, but there are numerous ways the product can be used. It's the same with Rollback Rx - they're just using different techniques to achieve roughly the same thing.

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

they are not the same with my experience.

after a few switches between A and B with FD, they just were not the same snapshots as created, and they snapshots were never ever updated or changed on my behalf in anyway, however, rollback keeps it the same, as when created unless i update it manually, much better. :)

24. Peter2150

CSJ

I still am very curious about what you mean by not the same. Actually any time you boot to a snapshot there are small changes from the boot.

Pete

25. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Even if you don't make changes yourself (i.e. create a file, modify a file etc.) it could be argued that any snapashot in whatever rollback program being used isn't the same when you boot back and forth into it because of the way Windows loads and makes changes to system level files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.