Rollback Rx Pro and Drive Snapshot : some good news ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by MerleOne, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi all,

I have been using Rollback RX from some days now, protecting my XP partition and leaving other partitions working normally. I realized that Acronis True Image V8 now refuses to backup the XP partition but works fine with other.

Following another thread from this forum, I have found out an interesting alternative, Drive Snapshot (http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/), that seems to be able to image the current version of a Rollback RX protected partition.

The software that comes with Rollback RX, HDSClone, definitely refuses to work with my setup.

I was wondering whether some other users have the same analysis.

.merle1.

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Just set off TI8 seems to be working so far?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Note I only have one partition on my C: drive, but I've successfully imaged the drive(whole drive, not files and folders) with both the latest version of Acronis True Image and Terabyte Image for Windows.
    I also have Drive Snapshot, but gave up on it a long time ago as it's recovery Disk is just to complex compared to others.

Pete

4. starfish_001

I have 4 partition - c=windows D= data E= MCE 2005 F= data

True image managed to complete C but failed on E. just tried the 2 os partitions

Will investigate this a bit more as I archive to a network drive

5. MerleOne

With TI8, under Windows, it just starts with high CPU usage but progress remains to 0%, only with Rollback protected partition. I have not tested with TI9, which I don't own.

When you have TI8 or TI9 working, have you checked if the saved image is the current state of the disk or the baseline. It should be the baseline according to Rollback support, but I observe that with Drive Snapshot, it is the current state of the disk !

.merle1.

6. starfish_001

What version and build of TI are you using ?

7. MerleOne

I am using V8.0 latest build (937).

.merle1.

8. starfish_001

I was using v 8 build 774 just upgraded to 937. Will give it another spin after the reboot

I would skip TI version 9 wait for version 9.1

HDSClone will not work with my setup - I have no FAT partition to store the backup

9. Peter2150

I am using TI Version 9 Build 2337

According to what Rollback support told me on the phone when you image you will get an image of the disk in the state of the snapshot you are in, and when you restore that image it won't really have Rollback in it. I always image from the current snapshot I am working in, and I always image the whole disk.

Pete

10. MerleOne

OK, thanks. That would explain drive snapshot result. Now I just have to make ATI work again (probably upgrade to version 9, when it will be more stable - according to what I read).

.merle1.

11. starfish_001

Looks like version 8 has a problem with Rollback. I guess TI should work from the boot disk. Not ideal for me as I image to NAS.

I have raised a support request with RB-RX see what happens.

I have Ghost and Paragon Drive Backup somewhere might try them always liked TI.

12. Peter2150

why not try TI 9

13. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

14. starfish_001

THanks that looks worth while

From relase notes:

Other important notes on the new build.
    1. Fixed the Win98 and Tweak UI issue reported by some clients.
    2. Fixed the registration ID changes on STAT drives issue. (So we won't need to reset the registration records when users reinstall Rollback)
    3. Fixed a update baseline/uninstall to current snapshot issue. If the drive does not have enough contagious space to Rollback to create the new baseline table index, the operation might fail.
    4. Fixed a possible NT blue screen issue reported by some users that when using backup software - The system sometimes has a blue screen. Updated the Kernel driver for fault tolerance.
    5. Optimized shdserv for better resource consumption.
    6. Added a setup detects new version feature.
    7. Enabled "Ghost" from subsystems. To Ghost a snapshot from the subsystem users can:
    a). Press HOME key to enter subsystem.
    b). select Advanced options/Program settings and type "ghost=1".
    c). select Advanced options/Boot from floppy to go to DOS. d). run Ghost from the DOS to create a backup image for the current snapshot.
    8. And some other minor issues, bugs reported by customers.

15. starfish_001

Um version 9 does not give me anything I need at the moment. Also after reading these forums TI9 seems to be rather trouble some

Version 9 corporate on the otherhand sound very very interesting - restore to different hardware so I'd rathers stick with TI 8 for now or use something else that I already own.

16. starfish_001

Just chatted with RB tech support

If you use the file backup feature of Acronis, their shouldn't be any problems with RollBack Rx. Acronis file backup shouldn't modify the MBRs unless it does a complete drive image backup. The only way that Acronis could conflict with RollBack is if it changes the MBR.

If you upgrade to new version TI* should work

7. Enabled "Ghost" from subsystems. To Ghost a snapshot from the subsystem users can:
    a). Press HOME key to enter subsystem.
    b). select Advanced options/Program settings and type "ghost=1".
    c). select Advanced options/Boot from floppy to go to DOS. d). run Ghost from the DOS to create a backup image for the current snapshot.

17. Peter2150

Anyone know why the download file is an htm file?

Pete

18. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Pete when I downloaded it it was a exe file.

19. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Pete,

I have just check and the file I download was an .exe file...

Best regards,
    Atomas31

20. MerleOne

Maybe a browser issue : with Opera 8.52 I also get an html file, I just had to rename it.

.merle1.

21. MerleOne

About this new release, I read that one can install it on top of the previous version, but what is the recommended way : uninstall before ? Update baseline before ? Or just install on top of previous version ?

Thanks for any hint !

.merle1.

22. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I installed it right over the top no problems. It creates a new baseline when you reboot. All is updated at that time.

23. Peter2150

Thanks guys. I also am using Opera.

Pete

24. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The current version can be installed on top of the present version - however, their support ( Lyle ) always recommends uninstalling the current version before installing the new one.

Take a look here.

25. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

Which to me proves their support is not adequate. I spend hours and hours with them on this issue and they don't even bother keeping in touch that it's solved in an update. This is the second time I'm trying to resolve issues with their support, never hear again when they can't fix it and find the solution posted on their website.

Anyway I was half way creating a bootdisk that would support USB devices with NTFS write access to use HDC Clone until I decided enough was enough.

Thanks for pointing out the Ghost update. Whenever I find some spare time I'll try if it still manages to crash all the different Ghost builds it threw at it previously. If it works I can finally write disaster recovery images to DVD and that's what it all was about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.