Rollback Rx plus Deep freeze?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by L Bainbridge, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

I need some suggestions...
    My kids have their own PC for Game playing etc.
    My nine year old is fast showing signs of becoming either a computer whizz or a cyber criminal :D & has managed to convert his limited user account to full admin. plus install all & sundry from the internet despite Defense Wall.
    Fortunately I have Rollback Rx to undo the worst of his excesses.
    I need to think about how to at least (temporarily) control his activities online/ installing etc. & was wondering about either shadowing software for when he's online or using a freeze system like Deep Freeze to clean up the 'mess' on reboot.
    Has anyone got any experience of using Deep Freeze with Rollback Rx?
    thanks
    Lee

2. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

My eldest was like that. He's now working at IBM Hursley for his gap year....so there's still hope :) .
    Why not get Rollback itself to clear up the mess and just set it up to do a restore at restart?

Graham

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I would not kill his skill, at least not his interest in computing. Let him play whatever, whenever he desires. He might have a MIT scholarship waiting during this junior year in High school. I would install DeepFreeze standard, which has password protection and deletion prevention. As long as you keep DF's installation file from his sight, he will have no clue to alter setting. What you need to do is to reboot after his session is over. Everything will be back to the way was, no more no less. DeepFreeze has survived many evil attacks, it may be more secure than Rollback Rx (open for discussion for this)(?). IMO, you may not need both together. Good luck.

4. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I agree. Inside Rollback set a schedule to rollback at restart. It will be pretty much the same thing as deepfreeze.

Thanks,

Chris

5. fce

fce Registered Member

this is the best advise you can get.

IMO, you don't need deep freeze with this set up.

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Rollback Rx is more than enough. If you want you can combine it with Returnil since they can coexist peacefully together.
    I would reccommend to disable the cd/floppy boot from that bios and to password protect both the bios and Rollback RX.

7. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Thanks to all of you for the advice.
    I'll probably go with Rollback to do a restore at restart and if he finds any further loopholes... then it's Deep Freeze time!
    Lee

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I would think that if you use RollbackRX while in a virtual state like Deep Freeze or Returnil, that all snapshots created within Windows would disappear after the virtual state is gone. No point in using RollbackRX with others, but itself can be enough.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.