Rollback Rx on multiboot system with Acronis DD

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by L Bainbridge, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

I hope you'll forgive me if this question's been answered on another thread but I new to Wilders.
    I multiboot on my system using OS selector from Acronis Disk Director.
    I have Windows XP Home on a 250 Gb SATA disk as my primary system regularly imaged using Acronis TI but also can boot to a 50Gb PATA drive with Windows XP installed, set up as 'sandbox' for testing/ trialing software.
    I wondered whether it would be possible to configure Rollback Rx as a rollback system only on this sandox system to save frequent reinstalls of this system and continue to use Acronis DD/ OSS to multiboot.
    Thanks for any help on this.

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I'd ask support - I doubt it because will have a clash in the MBR - Acronis and Rollback will both want it.

I'd take a look at First Defence ISR. I kinda use it multi boot I have 5 snapshots with different xp installs. You can remove your multi boot install FD then just create an empty snapshot and either copy your main install or install a fresh minium config

3. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

RollbackRx will work with multiboot systems. It has a check mark where you can place it in either or both of the systems when you install the program.

4. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

That is, as long as you don't use the Secure Zone, which changes the MBR. You do have to uninstall RollbackRx, before restoring with TI

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LLLoooonnnggg thread here with alot of useful information about various problems with MBR etc.
    May not specifically be pertinent to the OP but may help

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=127866

Just A PPOV but I think everybody loved RBack and its potential and really wanted it to be a universal fail-safe but found some problems with various Partition managers and imaging/back-up utilities.

Nothing that couldn't be managed with a little adaptability if required.

Lots of users here are very positive and supportive.

Regards

6. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Thanks to all of you for your ideas. I think the fog is clearing.....
    Longboard - you're right- that is a llllllloooong post- not sure the answer is there though...
    I tried installing Rollback Rx on the second boot disk - but no joy. It seems to install OK-asks you to re-boot and then no evidence of install on re-boot.
    I suspect the problem is related to Acronis OSS depositing 'BootWiz' on each of the disks taking over the MBR and the Rollback Rx MBR being overwritten by the Acronis OSS. Just my 2 cents.....
    I think I'll get on to product support for Acronis and HDS and see if they have any suggstions.
    If there are any blinding flashes of light I'll let you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.