Rollback Rx in (frozen Mode)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Chris12923, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

First off I have to thank Erik Albert for giving me the idea of even using a program this way. I know he used FDISR but I'll be using Rollback Rx. It took me a bit of time to try it and I'm not sure right now how I'm going to set it up (what other software will be installed) but I do like the concept. I'll try it a bit see how it goes.

I am thinking at the moment of these appz to go with it.

1. Outpost Firewall 4
    2. Exe lockdown

The firewall would backup in case I let something run that I shouldnt have.

Any thoughts/suggestions good or bad?

Thanks,

Chris

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

"Exe Lockdown" seems to be working like "Anti-Executable" (payware) and "Trust-No-Exe" (freeware).
    I assume that "Exe Lockdown" blocks more executable objects than just .exe-files, like AE and TNE does.
    AE claims to recognize more than 80 executable objects, but I never saw the complete list.
    Which one is the best of all three ? Beats me.

But it's certainly a good software, because it works with a whitelist of executable objects. Anything what is not whitelisted will be BLOCKED.

I don't think it will protect you from malwares that use legitimate executable objects to do their evil job (= exploits).
    So IMO you need an additional security software to stop exploits.
    I'm still looking for a group of softwares that prevent the installation OR execution of malwares.

The complete removal of malwares is already solved by using a frozen snapshot. So malwares don't have much time to do their evil job.
    In the past I only had a guaranteed clean computer two times a year after a complete re-install, now I have a clean computer whenever I want.

3. Chris12923

OK I have changed my setup. I will be using only Rollback rx in the kind of frozen mode and GreenBorder and Outpost as my only other security apps.

1. GreenBorder stops all APT termination attacks.
    2. Prevents all keyloggers I have tested against from accessing the outside of the GreenBorder. Except MUD and the systemsafety keylogger. both of these are not to reliable and would be cleaned by greenBorder when the user cleans and resets GreenBorder or when the user resets the pc.

I also use The Bat! email which I do not open any emails from unknown senders. And any attachments from known senders get verified before opening. Can anyone see issue with this?

EDIT:forgot to include outpost.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  4. ErikAlbert

I do the same in Thunderbird. As long you don't open spam-emails or don't open spam-email-attachments, you stop any malware infection via email.
    For known email-attachments, it's an extra safety to verify them first.
    After all an angry friend can infect your computer too with an infected email-attachment.

5. Chris12923

So you think this sounds ok?

Thanks,

Chris

6. rondijack

rondijack Registered Member

Exactly what do you mean by frozen mode?

7. ErikAlbert

Frozen snapshot is one of the features of FirstDefense-ISR.
    A total frozen snapshot means that every change in your snapshot is gone, when you reboot your computer.
    In other words you reboot every day in the same snapshot on your computer.
    Unfortunately frozen snapshots don't make a difference between good changes and bad changes (malwares).
    Undo the bad changes is very good of course, undo the good changes is a problem, which can be solved by anchoring. Anchored folders and/or files keep their changes in a frozen snapshot.
    Anchoring sounds good, but the more you anchor the more vulnerable your frozen snapshot becomes. :)

8. rondijack

How do you produce a frozen snapshot in Rollback Rx

9. Chris12923

Goto the scheduler and choose restore at reboot and choose a snapshot you wish to restore to.

Thanks,

Chris

10. ErikAlbert

In addition a frozen snapshot has a "blue star" in the snapshot list, which means it's frozen.
    You can have only ONE frozen snapshot, if you freeze another snapshot, the other frozen snapshot will lose its "blue star" and is not frozen anymore.

11. Chris12923

Your taking about FDISR correct? He was asking how to do it using Rollback rx. Thanks for this info on FDISR though.

Thanks,

Chris

12. Chris12923

Yould also goto scheduler and choose restore at logoff instead or restart if you wish.

Thanks,

Chris

13. ErikAlbert

Right. On the other hand it's quite confusing that you use the terminology of FDISR (frozen snapshot) in RollbackRx.
    Somehow, I have the impression that you don't create a frozen snapshot in RB, but that you create something in RB that acts in the same way like a frozen snapshot in FDISR. That's probably the reason why RB-users are asking how to freeze a snapshot in RB, because the function "Freeze" doesn't exist in RB.

14. rondijack

Thanks for the information. I use Rollback Rx only for my C: partition. I have a seperate partition for my documents mail downloads,etc. That way If I have to reboot I don't have to worry about losing mail etc.

15. ErikAlbert

Very smart. I do exactly the same thing on my computer.
    It gives you total freedom in your system partition and you don't have to worry anymore about losing your personal data and email. Very reassuring.

16. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

How did you guys successfully move your Documents & Settings folders off C: and onto another partition?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  17. ErikAlbert

I didn't move the folder "C:\Documents and Settings". I didn't move any folder created by Windows, although it can be done with nLite, but after reconsidering it, I decided not to do it.
    My system partition looks like a normal harddisk [C:], but it doesn't contain any personal files, emails or email-address-books.

I created a bunch of folders and subfolders on my data partition [D:] and changed the default folder settings of each software on my system partition [C:]
    Only for Firefox/Thunderbird, I had to move the folder "Profiles" to my data partition to keep my emails and email-address-books.

18. pvsurfer

Oh ok - it's just that rondijack said he put My Documents on another partition (which is a subfolder within Documents and Settings) and you indicated doing the same, so I incorrectly assumed the folder itself was moved. ;)

19. ErikAlbert

Not in my case, BUT nLite is able to move the complete "C:\Documents and Settings"-folder to partition [D:]. My pre-tests were very promising that it might be possible.

20. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

pvsurfer,

Right click on 'My Documents', select properties and click the move button.

21. pvsurfer

What 'move button' o_O ....or were you pulling my leg?

22. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Move.png

John.

23. ErikAlbert

With TweakUI (MS Powertoys), you can move 16 different folders to another location under "My Computer/Special Folders" feature and gives you each time a warning. LOL.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    I also used TweakUI to solve my problem with easy access to .pdf-fiiles of Adobe Reader, because AR doesn't have a default folder setting.
    Notepad hasn't a default folder setting either, but I used the icon properties of Notepad by changing the start-in folder.

I never used TweakUI for moving folders though, because I didn't want to move any Windows folder. It doesn't matter in which folders documents are stored and folders/subfolders are easy to create.

If you have several users on the same computer, you will have a problem with simple moves of folders like "My Documents".
    In that case you have to move the entire folder "C:\Documents and Settings" to another partition with nLite, because this folder has subfolders per user.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  24. Chris12923

HDS used to have a tool that did this. It could move any folder I think and point windows to it. if you are interested in it i can see if I can grab it for you.

Thanks,

Chris

25. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Let's pretend that this is from HDS:
    http://eazsolution.com/en/download_foldermover.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.