Rollback RX, Imaging And Software Reactivation

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by huntnyc, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Last time I ran Rollback Rx 8.1, I had some problems with a snapshot and decided to restore a ShadowProtect image that I had which did not involve my Rollback install. I restored the image writing the old MBR and Track 0 (No Rollback installed).

After restoring this image I noted I had to reactivate by phone my Braille translation software. This caused me problems with them because they thought that I was trying to run it on two machines which I was not. My question is, has anyone else had rezactivation problems with any software using either Rollback, imaging programs or a combo of these? Can these problems be avoided or is this a side effect of the restorative programs. It makes me afraid now to try and use Rollback because when I just use my ShadowProtect and restore the image I have no problems so far. Guess I should have uninstalled Rollback first and that might have helped. 'Thanks.

Forgot to ask, when using Rollback snapshots, does each snapshot function as if it looks like you are running different machines such as changing the machine ID? Thanks.

Gary

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I had an activation problem with ShadowProtect, when I tried to install it in another FDISR-snapshot on the SAME computer. StorageCraft thought I was installing ShadowProtect on another computer.

Right now I have an activation problem with WinXPproSP2 on the same computer, I can't activate WinXPproSP2 anymore, because I reached the limit of activations.

I have to call Microsoft in Brussels at my expense to re-activate it. I HOPE THEY BELIEVE ME, which can be an additional problem.
    Then I can install and activate Windows again and I wouldn't be surprised, that I get another activation problem with ShadowProtect, because that would be the third installation of SP on my computer.

And that's how I spend my time and money on activating PAID softwares.
    That's the price I pay for being a HONEST user and I have to stay calm and polite otherwise I might get no activation at all anymore.

Thank you Microsoft and thank you StorageCraft.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  3. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Hi Gary, which braille translator is it? I looked at the info on the Duxbury translator and it reads as though their activation files are kept in normal locations. Could the image you restored have dated from before the software was activated?

I've not had any problems restoring images with activated software and I've not had to re-activate, but this is very specific to the software and how they have implemented their activation settings.

Are you saying that, if you now go back to the Shadowprotect image and re-install it that you don't need to re-activate the braille software?

To answer your last query, RollBack snapshots are just that. They are the state of the software on your hard disk at a particular time. The hardware will look exactly the same (provided it was :) )

Graham

4. huntnyc

Graham,

I use Duxbury and I had to reinstall and reactivate after I had trouble with Rollback giving me chkdisk errors. Did not trust any snapshot or just uninstalling it so I restored an image with SP that had the Braille software installed but no Rollback. then, for some reason had to reinstall and reactivate. Don't know why but Duxbury gave me a hard time and for $600 program, i would have expected a little better treatment. Don't want to go through that again if I can help it. Thanks.

Gary

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s radiculous.

6. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Gary,

Duxbury suggest that they have a simplified installation and activation procedure (whatever that may mean :) ) in version 10.6. They also say here that the activation files are stored in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Duxbury\Activation

so it may be worth keeping a separate backup of that particular folder.

Graham

7. huntnyc

Thanks Graham. I see the folder and note two subfolders one dated 7/5/07 and the other with files dated 8/9/07. Don't know what that is about but I will back these up in a separate place anyway if I should have problems. Thanks again.

Gary

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If done in the right order there shouldn't be a problem. When I was playing with Rollback, FDISR and SP. I would first image the system with FDISR and no Rollback. Then I'd update FDISR archive while in my current rollback snapshot. Finally I'd restore the SP image, and update my primary from the archive. I woulld then have to uninstall Rollback. Only activation issue was Rollback, which they would quickly fix.

When I was beta testing SP's HIR stuff, and would restore and image from machine B onto machine A, I'd get an activation popup which I pospponed. But upon restoring the original image there were no issues.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.