rollback and defraging

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wildernow, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildernow

wildernow Registered Member

Does anyone know if defraging the drive will affect rollback_rx should I decide to restore later?

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

do NOT defrag while RX is installed.

if you want to defrag your hard drive, uninstall RX first from the boot subconsole, defrag then re-install.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you defrag ur drive before you install rollback rx theres no need to defrag afterwards as no fragmentation occurs. The only fragmentation that occurs is in the changes you make after installation for which theres a built in snapshot defragger.

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

This is not true. It would only apply if you rolled the system back to the installation snapshot.

Its easy to see that this is true by defragging your drive before installation of Rx, running the PC for 4 weeks or so with Rx installed, run the snapshot defragger, uninstall Rx and run the regular defrag program. You will find a fairly fragmented drive.

Also, the first reply is correct, you should not run a defrag with Rx installed UNLESS (possibly) you plan to reset the baseline immediately afterwards.

5. wildernow

Thanks for your insight. What i am now doing is defrag and then take a snapshot. This would save the trouble of uninstalling to do a defrag.

6. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

You are supposed to take baseline snapshot, run a dos command to unload Rollback Rx, then defrag, if you want to avoid uninstalling. And, then another baseline snapshot.

Best regards,

KOR!

7. moontan

it doesn't matter if you defrag and take a snapshot or vice versa.

you are not supposed to run a defrag app while RX is installed.
    Period.

8. aladdin

Are you sure, the forum says otherwise?

Best regards,

KOR!

9. moontan

from their own forum:
    -http://horizondatasys-forum.com/rollback-rx/21-rollback-rx-v9-defragging-files-snapshot-degfrag-complete-alternative.html#post75-

10. aladdin

Here is some more from their forum:

Best regards,

KOR!

11. moontan

tnx KOR,

i did not know about that one.
    maybe i'll give it a try. :)

12. bgoodman4

Thats not a good idea. You need to defrag and reset the baseline. You have only so much space for snaps and defragging while Rx is installed will create very large snapshots.

13. bgoodman4

Same result, extra work. Just either uninstal and do your various clean-ups and reinstall, or defrag and reset the baseline.

Not sure why you seem to not understand. A number of folks have said the same thing.

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I don't find your observations to be true either. I've been running this system for over month with rollback installed. I just uninstalled it and analyzed the drive using windows built in defragger and it tells me its 0% fragmented.

15. bgoodman4

I have been using Rx for 2.5 years and I uninstal it monthly to do system maintenance and image using Paragon. Every time I do so I run a defrag and Diskeeper shows the drive to be fairly heavily fragmented. The difference may have something to do with how we are using our respected PCs but thats my experience. I guess the bottom line is you do what you find to be appropriate for you.

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

After Installing a SnapShot App (e.g. Rollback Rx, EAZ-FIX, AyRecovery etc.), I use ONLY the built-in Defrag Tool.
    I prefer to do it from the system Sub-Console (i.e. Reboot and press the Home button).
    A second option is to defrag the SnapShots via the program Tray Icon.

I do NOT use any Defrag Tools (e.g. the Windows Disk Defragmenter or other Defrag Tools)!

If I had to use any Defrag Tool (apart from the built-in Defrag Tool), I should have:

-Uninstalled the SnapShot App,
    -Used with the Windows Disk Defragmenter or other Defrag Tool
    and
    -Reinstalled the SnapShot App.

17. wildernow

but can you still use registry cleaners? i use the eaz-fix defrag option.

18. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

can i use iolo Drivescrubber to wipe free space when using with Rollback RX??

19. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

No. You should not wipe free space while using Rollback RX.

20. bgoodman4

And the reason why(?) is that the snapshots are hidden from Windows and scrubbing the free space may affect your hidden files (I think).

21. bgoodman4

Yes, I believe this would be OK as the file changes will not be significant in size.

By the way, deleting large files will not free up drive space with RX installed because RX protects the space in case it needs to restore the data that was deleted. The snapshots are (as I understand it) the hooks that are associated with the data. This nis why the snaps are small, they are not images of the files, just the details regarding the hooks (BTW I am not sure what a hook is but the name is descriptive enough that I think I understand). Once you reset the baseline the space will become free for Windows to use. Again, this is my understanding of the situation. If I am wrong I would appreciate it if someone could correct me.

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Using Disk and/or Registry Cleaners is allowed, but it implies that a new SnapShot must be created.
    (Otherwise, all changes will be removed when the system is restored.)

As far as Free Disk Space Wiping, I wouldn't use aggressive Tools!

23. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Boyfriend ,bgoodman4 thanks for ur reply.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.