Rollback 8.1 Officially Released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Not sure if this is what you meant. It is from HDS forum.
    "When it comes to shieldcmd.exe /defrag commands, the customer has know:
    1. Run the command before running defrag. They cannot reboot after running the command because the Rollback driver is re-initialized after the reboot.
    2. User has to make sure he has enough free space to run defrag, because defrag a disk with Rollback does consume extra disk space (as explained in the Issue section).
    3. User has to remember to run update baseline after the defrag. Because the defragmenter only defragged the disk based on the current snapshot, if you go back to another snapshot, the files changes and the fragmentation could change too.
    4. Running update baseline consolidates all the snapshots into a new baseline, users will lose their snapshot history. This could be a surprise for the users.
    Considering all these factors, we (technical guys) were suggesting to the sales guys, don’t really market the product on this feature. It’s better to be hidden from regular PC users. But for guys who knows what they are doing, this might be a help. That’s what the seem contradicting message is all about."

I do not have the keep files/folders unchanged enabled. My data is on seperate drive and I am using Vista so that may make a difference.

From my experience I uninstalled then when i reinstall I chose demo during install process. Then I email support and they reset my key before demo expired. maybe this doesn't happen in your case? If not please tell me what you have experienced or heard?

They did include the feature but it is too complicated/risky at this time for the average user. Users can email them and ask for the version what is hard about that? Many programs offer different versions of software. Look at vista, do you think most users need vista ultimate or enterprise? I don't think so. Do you think most users even defrag their hard drives? I don't think so with that either. Can users use rollback built in defragger? Yes. Can users email support and have a version that will allow them to use 3rd party defragger? Yes. If you are dissatified with Rollback and only have negative things to say you should request the refund as support has told you in thius thread http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=4443 . Please by all means you should give constructive critisism but just to make a product look bad by badmouthing them seems a little overboard. Just my opinion.

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Silver0066, while I understand your issue, I did not appreciate your tone in voicing them out. Seems like you will never be satisfied with Rollback, even after they offer you a refund. This attitiude is not helping anyone.:oops:

You decide if you want to use Rollback and if not, stay out and quiet.:gack:

4. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

It is not me that is making the product look bad!! It is Horizon's business practices, ethics (they charged me 15% restocking fees on v7 for a product that I DOWNLOADED), their tendency to argue with their customers rather than listen, their very slow response to fix obvious bugs, their horrible activation process, and on and on and on!

For example, your statement that "Do you think most users even defrag their hard drives?" is ridiculous and it is indicative of Horizon's attitude towards their customers. The product could be great, but they won"t LISTEN!! Why doesn't Horizon include a pre and post feature so that users can defrag their drives without having to beg for a special edition because Horizon feels that their customers are too incompetent to defrag their own hard drives.

I praised the product on these forums when I first bought it.

Then, after it trashed my system and other anomalies showed up, I exposed them on these forums to help other users, NOT to help Horizon. That is the reason for Wilder's existence and why Wilder's is so successful. If you can't take the heat, then fix your product. Hire a better manager and better programmers. Do something, but please quit the arguiing and lambasting with your customers.

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi Silver666,
    as I said above there is no such thing like a special edition. If you want you can defrag but you'll have to use the command line. They did not include the defrag switch in the help/guide but they posted it in their forum.

6. Chris12923

I assume that you downloaded the product and if I am right they did you a favor by even refunding any of your money as per their policy " Due to the nature of the products/services offered at the Horizon DataSys website, it is not viable to offer refunds on any online purchase. This is directly caused by the fact that services purchased on this site are generally rendered immediately and cannot be returned or undone." You can read more here http://www.horizondatasys.com/177075.ihtml . So it seems you should be thankful in that regard.

OK so I was off 9% "Survey Finds 42 Percent of PC Users Fail to Defrag Their Computers" http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/tech/9224786.html I just read pandlouk says it isn't even a special edition. Not to complicated to defrag their drives but it just seems a little more than the average defragmenter to defragment with 3rd party software and Rollback.

I have had software give me a BSOD and had to reformat in the past (before I used recovery software) but that made not bash the developer but I did like you and let users know and then I contacted the developer. Sometimes they blew me off sometimes they tried to fix the problems. But after that I didn't keep popping in every thread and repeat what I said just to bash them.

Thanks,

Chris

7. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

So this are the procese to defrag my HDrive?

cmd
    shieldcmd /ghost
    defrag my hdrive
    then update baseline

thanks

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Folks

Have my mod hat on. I think the past issues about Horizon Data Sys have been discussed and responded to enough. If there is a new issue fine, but constantly bring up past issues and responses, no. Any further posts of this nature will probably be removed.

Pete

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Well, I do the following:
    1. update baseline (to consolidate the space occupied from the snapshots)
    2. cmd -> shieldcmd.exe /defrag
    3. defrag the partition/disk
    4. update baseline again

hope it helps,
    Panagiotis

10. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thanks man, so you dint have any problem doing it that way?

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Look, Its quite simple really, Contact Horizon Support, they have always answered my questions thouroughly, And if your not satisfied with thier product or it causing problems, then maybe its not the program itself, but the end user (YOU!) who are the problem, with the way you operate your Computer. I've read every single post about Rollback Rx and its Pro's and Cons, and I've never encountered anything like the problems reported, such as CHKDSK and BSOD and most likely never will (fingers crossed). Please remember computers are not invincible, they are like everyhing else, eventually you will get problems, but to narrow it down to one specific item,and not consider other alternatives is just bordering on the Naive. This all comes down to the Lovers and Mockers or particular Software, where your Beloved trusted program has so many rave reviews, That your Brainwashed into thinking it couldnt possible be the problem.
    "NEWS FLASH!" Boys and Girls, Not only could it be, It more than likely is :cautious:

12. Chris12923

Totally agree!

Thanks,

Chris

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

In 2005 I learnt my stepdad had never defragged his computer before, even with the Windows Defrag utility. I showed him how to do it when he asked me about it. This was from a guy who has been using his computer for at least 10 years.

It's not so surprising to find people not doing half of the stuff we do. ;)

14. fce

fce Registered Member

Hi guys,
    I have few question regarding RollbackRx Semi Frozen System (schedule rollback to rollback to the latest snapshot at restart).

I have two partition, one partition is where my operating system and protected by Rollback Rx (Drive C) and the other partition is where my personal data is saved. Also I used Folder Mover (FMU) utility to move system folder to my unprotected partition. I find this FMU very useful but I have some question after using SemiFrozenSystem c/w FMU.

- Everytime I download file over the internet FMU saved it in my partition D which is unprotected of RollbackRx (Semi Frozen System). My problem is virus. Well, I know that Rollback is not security software but with this Semi Frozen System it help my Drive C against virus infection (specially when I restart my PC) but my drive D is unprotected which means if I downloaded infected file and restart my PC drive D is unprotected from Semi Frozen and the virus still there. Any advise from my semi frozen system setup?

- Since I’m using Rollback Semi Frozen System, every time I restart my PC, my AV is also updating over and over again.....it’s like I’m re-installing my Kasp IS7 every time I restart my computer and the problem is Kaspersky Lab might look at it as I’m installing and using my activation code with other PC since I’m using schedule rollback to rollback to the latest snapshot at restart (Semi Frozen System). I also try to install KIS in my drive D (unprotected during rollback) so that when it update and when I restart my PC it’s still updated, unfortunately the update is save in my drive C eventhough I installed KIS in drive D.
    Do you think Kaspersky Lab look at it as I’m using my activation code with multiple PC because of this Semi Frozen system? Do I need to change my KIS-RBRx setup?

Thanks in advance!

15. Chris12923

I think they will not think you are using KIS on multiple PC but you should either exclude KIS update folder/file or figure out how to get it installed to D:.

Thanks,

Chris

16. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I see from the following that you are using KIS7 for AV protection. If this is working in real-time then any files you download should be virus-free. If you manually scan then you would only need to scan your downloads folder to make sure you are ok. The target for any virus/malware is much more likely to be your system drive and this will be cleaned up on re-boot.
    I've never used KIS but, from the v6 manual, it appears that you can configure your update directory by going into Settings/Update/Additional and look for the 'Update Distribution Folder' setting. Keep the path the same but change the device letter to D and see how that goes.

I don't think that the semi-frozen system will be a problem with Kaspersky but you need to move the update folder so it's less of a pain for you :) .

If that's not the right setting to change then someone else who uses KIS here might be able to help.

Graham

17. fce

fce Registered Member

Yes. KIS7 is working real time unfortunately when I downloaded ZIP file it never detected the virus. When I extracted ZIP file (automatically saved to my Drive D which is unprotected partition by RBRx) there’s a pop up from KIS that it is a virus so I try to clean it but cannot clean by KIS so I just deleted it.
    Before I restart my computer there’s log in KIS that it detected and deleted a virus....after re-starting my computer the (KIS) log is not there anymore (which is correct because of RBRx Semi Frozen System) but when I run KIS to scan partition D it detected the virus (which I deleted when KIS detected it previously).

My system is now clean after I re-scan my drive D (Including now drive C to be sure that my partition C is not infected). Now I’m thinking of saving all my downloaded file in drive C as default (which protected by RBRx semi frozen system) so that when I’m infected by virus (in case KIS did not detected the virus when I downloaded it) what I will do is just restart my computer ….virus is gone base on RBRx semi frozen system.

Am I doing it the right way (Changing the location of my download file from Drive D to C)? Or KIS just missed out the ZIP file with virus during downloading?

to chris/graham, got this PM from Kaspersky forum....

it's best to install it on drive C to solve some problems. however installing it on drive D won't help pas the bases are still stored in c:\ and can't be moved

To answer your question: nothing will happen. The update server knows when you update, however the frequency is set pretty high. It does not really matter how much you update as long as your key is not blacklisted. At the activation time it performs the verifying, but the limit is quite high and I am yet to see anybody who complained about it. So it does not really matter if and you can rollback as much as you want. It is a common confusion, because Microsoft has pretty draconian activation rules. That is not the case for Kaspersky products. Although at this time KIS is sensitive to time shifts like that. Developers are already aware of the problem and working on the fix for v7.0 MP1 which is due in beta very soon

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's a typical problem with every recovery software : how to keep the GOOD changes. :)

19. fce

fce Registered Member

Hi guys,

Just want share my experience with RBRx and some question...

after updating my audio driver there's error message about spool.exe (not sure the exact error message) and when i restore my snapshot to previous snapshot i got BSOD :eek:

i try to use other snapshot but it keep giving me BSOD, i don't know what the extend of that audio driver that affected my other snapshot.

so what i did is boot to my recovery disk and restore my save image in drive C. I checked MBR and sector by sector option and after restoring my image and boot properly without BSOD, there's a popup message that saying RBRx is disable and need to uninstall /reinstall if i restore it from image or use the old snapshot if i don't want to disable RBRx (the message is something like that).

i just uninstall RBRx, because if i restore my old snapshot (maybe) it's still corrupted. Also RBRx tray icon is disable so i really no choice but to uninstall RBRx.

After uninstalling i run windows defrag and advice me to defrag my system.

Iis there something wrong that i did (selecting MBR and sector-by-sector options) that resulting to uninstalling RBRx?

and why my PREVIOUS snapshot before updating my driver is also corrupted?

PS. I guess the audio driver that i update is not compatible with Vista because the BSOD happen when i only update my audio driver and there's a message in BSOD that if theres new hardware i need to disable it blah blah blah!

20. nexstar

I'm guessing a bit (a lot) here but, it's possible that the virus delivered it's payload to a location on your C drive, KIS detected the virus and deleted that rather than the original zip file it came from, which is why that was still there.
    The obvious drawback to this is that your downloads will disappear when you reboot! If that's not a problem for you then it will certainly get rid of any suspect files. If you wanted to keep the downloads for a bit longer you could:
    a) Take a snapshot and they will stay there for as long as you like
    b) When the PC reboots, press Home to go into the sub-console and then quit the menu to boot normally. This disables the restore@restart which would have happened.
    c) Just copy them manually to your D drive if you're happy they are clean.
    There's not much you can do about that other than change AV or wait for them to do something about it. I've used Nod32 and AVG in this mode without a problem.

Graham

21. nexstar

Out of interest, did you try the baseline?
    It's good to have one of those;) .

Well, yes, but it is an easy mistake to make! This is why I'm still using Drive Snapshot for my RB backups :) .

I've played around with imaging and restoring using the RB CD etc and I got quite excited when I saw the MBR and Sector options :). However, from what I have read and experienced, the MBR option actually puts the MBR back to a pre-RB state and the sector option (I think) is mainly intended for partitions containing other OS'. Ironically, I think if you hadn't checked the MBR option then you might have restored with a working RB installation . Once the MBR is wiped then RB needs to be uninstalled from the Windows setup as well.
    If you can reproduce this then it might be worth sending the info to technical support at HDS. Did the BSOD's both have the same error code? The error code might be useful if you get the problem again.

Graham

22. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Is this like first defence? what's system requirments

23. fce

fce Registered Member

No.
    Since my two snapshot is not working, I didn’t try to restore the baseline. Next time I’ll try it.

I think that’s my mistake, I shouldn’t select MBR and sector option.

Btw, if my drive C can’t boot due to BSOD, is it advisable to check MBR and sector option?

24. nexstar

There's an in-depth comparison here from the company that now sells both of them :) .

Graham

25. nexstar

I think you'd find that the baseline should still be ok but, in case you want to do it anyway, then I'd try it first with neither option selected. There's a fair chance that, if you leave the MBR alone then you won't have to re-install Rollback.

I did some testing last night and discovered that you could get the odd situation that snapshots from a previous install would show up when you restored a different image. You obviously couldn't restore to them, so the baseline was the only option, but they were still listed in the RB history.

Graham

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.