Rogues/Fakes Very convincing now

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by CloneRanger, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well not to us :D But check this one out & see what what i mean !

-bestspywarescanner.net-

~ snipped ~

The've REALLY gone to some trouble to look legit :eek: Here's just a few links to demonstrate that.

And ALL the buttons/links actually work for once !

It installs a Rootkit driver too :eek:

Not very good dectection rate yet :( Wonder how many will get caught out with this ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

A few things stick out for me, and yeah, this thing does look a lot more realistic. But:

1. "Scan PC" button: Hello drive-by, and how might you be today?

2. The rate comparison graph: It should scream "Fake!", but hey, I guess to the "must hit button now!" crowd, it works.

3. The title of the software: "Best Spyware Scanner"? There's one thing the majority of these rogues have in common..stupid names like that.

4. The "awards" listed on the side. Notice how Softpedia is the only recognizable one here? Also, this is a tactic used even by legit companies at times. Plop a few banners on your website, boom, instant marketing.

5. Icon similarities: Notice the umbrella icon? Here's the official site of Avira for reference: http://www.avira.com/ . Straighten the umbrella a bit, remind people that they've seen this icon somewhere before, and boom, successful trick. They screwed up though, lol, Avira doesn't have that tiny little point at the top of its umbrella. Nor does it have the notches at the bottom. Nice attempt at theft though, I'll give them that.

All in all, more than 10 seconds of a glance at the page should make it clear this product is not what it seems. Unfortunately, 10 seconds is about the max attention span for the average user these days.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Very sad, because this could fool the inexperienced, maybe quite easily. Someone even relatively new to computers with no one to seek advice from might look at it and think: "hmmm, this looks great, I think I'll give it a try".

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Even the less experienced should know better than to just wildly click now. That was excusable (and even safe for the most part) back in the 90s when the WWW was just taking off. But enough time has passed and enough has happened that it's not now. Perhaps a poster here was right, maybe it is time for licensed users.

5. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hmm, that should be forwarded to the Happy Ninja hackers :D

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Rogues have to try to be convincing, otherwise they would not be able to rip people off.
    At least your CC info is safe with this one :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hurry place your orders right away,its simply the best.:p

9. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

I already Downloaded and Installed Best Spyware Scanner, it found an Rouge Thread and Deleted it.

I like it I like it

HKEY1952

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This is the one thing that sticks out to me. It's not even a brand name.

11. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

All security disabled except IE9 Smart screen filters handles this one.:thumb:

Attached Files:

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

This thing is really convincing LOL
    To be honest, if i was not a geeky person and just the regular D00d in PC's i might have fell into it, in all honesty :D

13. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

What exactly does this do, other than seemingly scan your system.. Does it do a rootkit? (I'll be checking it soon) Or is it a simple harmless fake?

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It is indeed a much more convincing site than most others, but they failed hard with the name of their 'product'..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.