Rising Personal Firewall any experiences?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sukarof, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I was looking for a firewall with more or less automatic rule creations for known apps. Since OA doesnt work for Vista yet i decide to try Rising PF in Vista.

I have thrown a couple of leaktests at it and it catches them. I cant try them all since it seems like some leaktests doesnt work in Vista, I got a couple of BSOD´s.
    First impression is that Rising PF is non intrusive, except the initial training of some .dll´s and software that isnt recognized by the firewall, and nonintrusivness is what I am looking for. (You can turn of that if you want.) It catches all the connections I try to start.
    The automatic rule creations for benign processes seems to work as easy as in OA for example.
    The navigation inside the settings is fairly easy to understand.
    But it has this really, I mean really, annoying nag windows that appears everytime you access the gui. Drove me crazy but fortunally the nagwindow is its own process so I can prevent it from starting through a process explorer software I have. I hate vendors that has theese nag windows when they offer a trial.
    What is the point really? I want to test the damn software for the trial period (31 days) and if I like it I will buy it, I wont buy anything through a nag window. So if anyone from rising is reading this - get rid of it!

Well, now when that is out of my chest:
    Anyone have any experiences with it? Heard of any serious flaws?

Attached Files:

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Ah...well, seems like Im the only one here using this firewall.
    Here are the results on Leaktests on Vista Ultimate 32bit UAC and ran the leaktests from a folder not protected by SRP (none of them gave alerts btw). Rising Personal Firewall 2008 out of the box.

Failed:
    Ghost.
    Jumper.
    Pcflank
    Walbreaker 1,2,3

Passed:
    Coat.
    Copycat.
    DNStester
    PCaudit2
    Toolleaky.
    Firehole
    (sort of. Rising detects firehole leak attempt but when I tell Rising to block it I get BSOD)

These leaktests doesnt work on Vista:
    they either crash or doesnt do anything.
    Bitstester.
    Cpilsuite
    mdtest
    OSfwbypass
    Termite
    Outbound.exe
    Pcaudit
    Surfer

Oh and I forgot:
    Runner. All I noticed it do was to show me a prompt that firewall failed...

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  3. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Well i think you where not aware that there is a website that tests firewalls with all leaktests. See the results of this firewall here:

http://www.matousec.com

But they used an older version!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.