Rising Antivirus v16 and English website termination

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by roger_m, Oct 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't think this has been posted here previously.
    You can read the full post here.

While there is no official English language release of Rising Antivirus anymore, the current version v16 does still have the option to install in English instead of Chinese. It can be downloaded from hxxp://software.downloads.ms/windows/development/Rising-antivirus-software-V16-official-version-of-V23-00-68--4051.shtml

Edit: It is free.

The download is not the very latest version, but once installed it will download and update to the latest release.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That sucks. I quite liked Rising, but the way they were updating english version was just poor beyond usable.

3. siketa

siketa Registered Member

They are doing just opposite of Baidu and Qihoo...
    Booooo!

4. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

The link you have provided is too slow i.e downloading in bytes.

I downloaded from official chinese site & though the installer has english option it cannot be selected.
    Rising v16 ver 24
    hxxp://www.rising.com.cn/2012/v16/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  5. roger_m

At first I was surprised that is still can be installed in English since they are no longer officially publishing an English version. Then I remembered that when I first used Rising, which was years before the English website was established, the version you could download from Rising's Chinese website could install in English. This was despite the programs website being in Chinese, with no way for anyone not speaking Chinese to purchase it.

Rising has always suffered from poor detection rates. But, this was helped a few years back by implementation of a fairly basic HIPs component into Rising.

While detection was not up to scratch, I always liked Rising, and even purchased a licence for it in the days before there was a free version. Rising was one of the first AVs to support the scanning of archives, and from memory, it supported scanning of RAR files as well as ZIP. Then after a while Norton added archive scanning too, but only for ZIP files.

Another feature which was nice, was the ability for Rising to create a full installer for itself. Assuming you had up to date definitions, then it would create an installer which would install Rising with the current definitions at the time you chose to get it to make the installer.

I only had a very quick look at the latest version of Rising, but I did notice that is the option to create a Linux based rescue CD. Once again, this is handy as it will have the latest definitions included, as compare to one you download which might be out of date.

The Chinese have made some very nice antivirus software, which in the past generally has had poor detection rates, but on the other hand the software has some innovative features. Jiangmin's KAV really impressed me, but after not releasing a new English version for several years now, they appear to also have dropped English language support.

6. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

That's a great shame. I liked and used Rising AV and firewall when I had XP but moved away when I got Win 7 64 bit as it didn't function 100%.

7. khanyash

Is AV16 still beta?

Checkout FW section, I posted about Rising FW.

8. roger_m

It was reasonably fast for me - try using a download manager.

I started download from here just now, but speed was very slow.

However just by looking at the screenshots on the link you provided, it has got more features than the one I was using. It says it is the standard version which appears to be a paid version. The one on the link pops up a windows after installation, saying it has been free for several years.

9. roger_m

No it said nothing about it being a beta version.

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

R.I.P.

11. khanyash

Your link mentions v16 ver 23. So I guess it gives old version.

v16 is ver 24. I guess v16 is still beta & so cannot be installed in eng. Coz ver 24 FW released & can be installed in eng.

12. roger_m

Yes it does, but when do an update it updates to the latest version.

13. khanyash

14. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

They were great until they tried to scam users by creating fake viruses and scaring their users into purchasing a paid product to generate revenue.

15. khanyash

Does the about section mention Rising V16 AV & Version is 24?

16. roger_m

Sorry but I already uninstalled it due to it slowing down my computer. In retrospect I woke up my laptop from sleep, and I was running on battery power, without my laptop running at maximum performance, which obviously wouldn't have helped, and it may have caused less of an impact if my CPU was running at full speed.

17. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Well thats sad I really loved Rising PC Doctor :/ guess I need to look for replacements

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.