Riseup Canary Update

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by subhrobhandari, Feb 17, 2017.

1. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Link

2. brians08

brians08 Registered Member

So the FBI was not able to force the Canary update? Maybe the criminals are not so savvy as to even know what a Canary is so the FBI didn't care?

3. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

My suspicion is that Canaries would not necessarily survive a legal challenge, as courts are able to enforce the intent of their orders fairly widely (and if you refused to comply that would be contempt). The US does have the protections against compelled speech, but I wouldn't like to test constitutional protections given what's been happening.

My feeling is that to make this compulsion happen though, it would raise the risks (to LE) in doing so, so they held off it. If it came to light (it would eventually), then the obvious response is for many providers to immediately go outside jurisdiction. I know I'd have that as a warm contingency if I were operating a service like that.

The idea that criminals are not savvy doesn't match the evidence, even granted the naive or careless (who get caught), I suspect they are often stooges and fall-guys.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, I knew that they had received a gag order, because of this tweet:
    But I didn't care. Because I use VPNs, and encrypt sensitive stuff. And because I'm not trying to hide metadata, using Riseup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.