Ripping CDs with surround functions.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Woody777, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Realizing that this is primarily a security & software forum I am wondering if any music guru's among you can advise me if it is possible to rip audio cds with surround. I am well aware of mp3s, codecs & et al. In my experience when you rip an mp3 you get 2 channel stereo & nothing else. It may be possible to achieve some matrix functions such as Hall but very little else. I am aware that there are ways to achieve surround with video by using some software programs but I am not sure that it is possible to do this with mp3's or Normally produced Audio CD's. Just wondering! Thanks

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

If the source is 2ch audio, you will get 2ch audio.
    Using your favourite music player you can generate a surround effect via a plug-in.

3. Woody777

This is indeed true but it is my belief that an audio cd even standard ones may indeed contain some surround matrixes. I base this on listening tests through my home reciever. When I listen to Audio cds made from computer rips & burns I do not get the same results at least to my ears.

4. lucas1985

There are lots of variables:
    - Surround processing/EQing in your home receiver.
    - How do you rip/burn your Audio-CDs.
    - Placebo effect ;)

5. Woody777

Equalizers play havoc with Surround sound so with just a few exceptions most manufacturers removed them a few years ago. I usually use EZ CD Da extractor & use the mp4a codec which I happen to like. Could be a placebo effect but I doubt it from the sound.

6. lucas1985

I think that your receiver is doing some upmixing (Dolby ProLogic I/II/IIx, DTS Neo:6, SRS Surround) of the stereo source.
    Also, equalizers have had a great evolution. Almost all brands of home receivers include room correction and powerful DSPs.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

Yes it is. You would have to rip them to AAC format instead of MP3, as it supports surround (multiple channels - up to 48. MP3 supports only stereo AFAIK. I believe dbPowerAmp can do what you want. It's a payware, but hopefully someone knows of a freeware alternative.

8. lucas1985

The source has to be multichannel audio ;)

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I possibly misunderstood the question :) I thought the source is multichannel.

Cheers.

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

You can compress surround effects like Pro logic, but you will loose surround information in the same way any audio is lost when using a lossy compression.
    Dont forget VCD and SVCD which used layer2 audio compression had no major issues storing pro logic encoded sound, layer3 (mp3) should also be fine.

What is important is encode the channels seperately when compressing (eg dont use channel combine where only one channel is stored and the differences to the other channel are stored), as this can destroy the surround information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.