RIP Macintosh: 1984–2018

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mood, Jun 13, 2018.

1. mood

mood Updates Team

RIP Macintosh: 1984–2018
    You may still love your Mac, but Apple doesn’t share your passion.
    June 12, 2018
    https://www.computerworld.com/article/3280944/apple-mac/rip-macintosh-1984-2018.html

2. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

interesting article :( Thank you @mood for posting. ;)

3. mood

mood Updates Team

4. mood

mood Updates Team

Why the Mac you know has no future
    Apple's Mac is about to head toward an assisted living community in the desert -- and then its final resting place in the cloud.
    June 18, 2018
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-wwdc-2018-served-as-macs-death-sentence/

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Personally, I would never own a Mac. In my opinion macOS/OS X, is one of the worst operating systems ever released. As well as that, Macs often have serious design flaws.

But, having said that, I do think this is a shame, as I know there are lots of people who prefer Macs to Windows PCs and it's always good to have choice.

6. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Please... the Mac is not going anywhere (just more naysaying Apple pundits and their click-bait). Apple still values the Mac and macOS and they precisely said as much during WWDC. However these journalists apparently did not care to hear such commentary, instead... I'm sure... considering themselves as experts in 'reading between the lines' and feeling that 'actions speak louder than words', etc. Of course, many of these kibitzers were the same ones predicting that Apple would be merging iOS and macOS (which Apple expressly denied at WWDC, as they had routinely in the past).

As far as I am aware, there was no new hardware announced at WWDC. Period. Not Mac, not iPhone, not Apple TV, not iPad, not Homepod, not headphones. Nothing. Also I don't believe this is unusual. Yes, sometimes Apple will "sneak peak" announce hardware at WWDC (as they did last year with the iMac Pro); however, as I recall, hardware announcements aren't typically a mandated thing. It is a developer conference after all.

The pundits simply know that some customers are a little unhappy that there hasn't been a Mac Pro refresh for a few years (albeit Apple did introduce the new iMac Pro last November), and that there are some that weren't ecstatic about the last MacBook Pro refresh (mixed feelings / opinions about the Touch Bar, etc). And, yes, the Mac Mini needs some refresh love as well. But no one that I know feels or believes that Apple is abandoning the Mac. That's ridiculous hyperbole.

Tons of creative professionals use Macs every day, and Apple well knows it. Professional software developers. Professional web developers. Professional photographers. Professional video editors. Professional writers. Etc. Just look at the outsized presence and representation of Macs within such industries and professions.

In my humble opinion, Apple is simply choosing to be a bit more deliberate in their hardware & software design. In the past few years they were roundly criticized for rushing too many features into their operating systems at the expense of stability, speed, and efficiency. Likewise they had also been criticized for rushing too many hardware changes to market (the prior round Mac Pro design, the MacBook Pro Touch Bar, the death of the headphone jack on iPhones, the reduction in ports on MacBooks, etc). In both software and hardware, Apple appears to have come to realize that it is better to wait until a design is fully implemented in a robust and well-executed manner, than to simply rush something to market in the hopes of grabbing the fleeting attention of these self-proclaimed journalistic experts and prognosticators.