RIM to assist London police in BlackBerry riots

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Pinga, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Good job rioters, now that you've burned down half your towns (which by the way, consisted of completely innocent businesses..smooth move there), and assaulted police, and not only got Blackberry caught up in your BS, but got them hacked because of it...enjoy your new Big Brother laws added on top of the ones you already have...you stupid imbeciles. What numbskull in his right mind thinks that burning down towns, destroying property and going on random assault sprees will bring about positive change? Seriously, if you wanted changes to the police...do you really think causing widespread destruction will achieve that?

Congrats dumb arses, you just made things much worse.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

+1

It seems that it's not only football hooligans that are stupid after all, we now have these little terrorists as well :(

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

http://en.rsf.org/united-kingdom-concern-that-social-networks-to-be-12-08-2011,40776.html

"Reporters Without Borders urges RIM to think seriously about its social responsibility and to discuss this issue with organizations that defend civil liberties. Reporters Without Borders also urges the British police to think twice before any decision to control or suspend smartphone services and to abandon the practice of seeking personal data without a court order."

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Too bad the military couldn't have teamed up with the police to give adequate warning to the rioters, then declared Marshall law and shot anyone caught looting and setting fires. This would have been a far more effective solution than wasting taxpayer's dollars arresting them and processing the wastes of skin through the courts.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Agreed, in cases such as this, you stop it before it ever gets a chance to get started. Screw Reporters without Borders, you take these people down. The looters and rioters have made it well known they don't care about the civil liberties of others, why the hell should anyone care about theirs? If this was a case of an oppressive government quieting the voices of peaceful people, it would be one thing. But this all started over one guy who was a troublemaker, the people are destroying homes, businesses and other property, they are assaulting people.

This is one of those times the political groups need to back off, and the police, even the military if need be, need to get down to business. If Reporters Without Borders wants to talk to anyone about liberties, talk to the protesters. RIM, through no fault of their own, is now neck deep in this, and have a "social responsibility" to help police investigate misuse and criminal activity. The police need to do their job, quickly and effectively. They don't need to sit in a room with a bunch of activists who don't know the first thing about effective crime fighting.

8. Dermot7

Martial law? Shooting people? No! God forbid that that day should ever come to this country.
    No responsible person can but utterly condemn the wanton destruction and looting that has taken place. It is dreadful, and imo is one of the results of the over-liberal, namby-pamby ways of this country which produces people with apparently no respect for person or property or authority.
    In actuality the RSF article is concerned with the potentiality for these riots, and the BBM data issue to lead to more erosion of personal democracy and privacy (of law-abiding people).

9. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Regarding protesters and those that are rebelling against some real or perceived injustice: Just once I'd like to see them actually target what they're protesting or rebelling against. If you're that mad at the cops or the government, attack them, not the rest of the people who are stuck under the same system as you. What is so blasted hard about hitting only what you're mad at? If you want support from common people, don't target them.

I have no problems with those who are protesting against police activities. I do have a problem with those who used this as an excuse to attack, loot, and burn the property of those who were not involved. The first group deserves to be shielded. The 2nd group should be shot. Because the 2nd group used this as an excuse for indiscriminate violence, the response from authorities will be equally indiscriminate, with those not involved also paying the price.

10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Because they're idiots. Look at the youtube videos and you'll see people looting stores and when asked about it they're like "I'm getting my taxes back" and other ridiculously dumb BS.

They just want an excuse to steal and riot. They could care less about any "cause."

I definitely agree with you about what the second group deserves...

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

"Big Brother Britain has more CCTV cameras than China".... With the UK having more surveillance cameras per capita in the world, it would be very surprising if they didn't bring most of the rioters,thugs, and looters to account.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

So the authorities just get on the news and say "please"? Time's up for that. Actually, why bother shooting them? Just burn their houses and businesses to the ground as well. There's far too much concern these days for the rights of criminals, and far too little for the victims. If martial law gets these people off the streets and into the nearest jail cells, then so be it. Martial law isn't evil you know, it's the ones that declare it that can lead to a problem.

13. Dermot7

"So the authorities just get on the news and say "please"?"
    C'mon dw426, I'm actually in favour of much stronger laws to deal with some crimes, and hopefully, deter other future offenders.
    I fully agree with what you said about criminals' perceived "rights".
    Anyway, I fear this thread has gone somewhat ot, with no mention of RIM/BlackBerry for a while, so I will end on this subject now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.