right click problem?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by mistycat, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

When I choose to scan a file with TDS-3, I see nothing and never have irregardless of whether it was a demo or registered version or how many times I have reinstalled it. Should I? Until recently, it wasn't a big deal. After purchasing Tuneup Utilities and running either the 1-click maintenance or the registry cleaner, I receive this error when trying to scan a file: could not find the TDS-3 path in the registry. No other registry cleaner has this result that I know of and Norton System Works 1 button checkup seems to be fine also. The TDS-3 icon also disappeared off the desktop when TU was first installed so I uninstalled and reinstalled TDS-3 and never saw this effect again. Also, NAV recently detected Bloodhound Exploit.6 but couldn't clean it. So I ran a scan with Microworld's escan {Kaspersky engine} which found and deleted 2 instances of Pakes {which I never even knew of}; 1 in the renamed TDS-3 folder. Now I am wondering if my version of TDS-3 is even functioning.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Mstycat, If you have a licenced copy, have you installed Executive Protection? This is only active when TDS3 is running either the GUI or iconised to the sytem tray.
    You can get a harmless Trojan sample from here: http://www.misec.net/trojansimulator/
    In scan control enable all scan options, right click on the trojansimulator .zip file and you should see the alert in the lower TDS3 console window.
    Double click the .exe inside the .zip file and again TDS will alert on the unpacker.
    Whilst doing a full system scan please disable your AV's resident protection as when TDS3 opens a file this can trigger your AV to quarantine any malware therein, whereas TDS3 puts you in the driving seat regarding how malware is dealt with.

HTH Pilli

3. mistycat

Hi and thanks for the reply. Executive Protection has been enabled since TDS-3 was first registered. After downloading the Trojan sample and following your instructions, I did receive the alerts in the lower window so thanks again.

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I too have recently bought TuneUp Utilities, but I haven't yet run it.
    However what I understand is that you can let it undo its changes.
    There was recently a very long thread at DSLR-Software-forum about TuneUp Utilities. Most people liked it a lot! However I think I have read one posting about disappearing icons but I don't know what exactly happened there, sorry...
    If you think that your problem has been caused by TuneUp Utilities, I think it would be a good idea to let the TuneUp-company know about it so they could try to fix it (if it is a bug in TuneUp).

EDIT
    See the HelpFile of TuneUp, topic "Undoing Changes".

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2004
  5. mistycat

Hi. The disappearing icon seems to have been solved with a full uninstall and reinstall of TDS-3. The entry in the Registry Cleaner that causes the error message when a TDS-3 scan is selected seems to be an empty software entry that can be unchecked and left but then 1 click maintenance removes it anyway and the error returns and I don't know how to block it there. I'll check the TU Helpfile for that. I too followed the thread on TU at DSLR and that is what prompted me to trial and then purchase TU. As I said, I never saw TDS-3 scan a file when selected so the error is no loss. Thankyou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.