RIAA sues 493 more music swappers

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by NeonWizard, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeonWizard

NeonWizard Registered Member

A U.S. music industry group said Monday it has sued 493 more people for copyright infringement as part of its campaign to stop consumers from copying music over the Internet.

The Recording Industry Association of America has now sued nearly 3,000 individuals since last September in an attempt to discourage people from copying songs through peer-to-peer networks like Kazaa and LimeWire.

The trade group, which represents the five largest recording companies, has settled more than 400 of those cases for around $3,000 each.

Read Article

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Are they still going after only those who share songs, are they also now targeting those downloading but not sharing?

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you are downloading they take it for granted that you will share them. :mad: It is still illegal to download songs from a p2p unless it is a pay per song service. Even for your own use.

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Hello, BigC. Yes I am aware of the legal issues. However, I've read in PC magazines that it's difficult to prosecute someone who is downloading but not sharing. I have not read much in the new about this issue lately, and I was just curious if they have changed their approach. You don't need to sell me on reasons to stay away from P2P. The malware threat is enough for me! :eek:

5. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

man this some bs

check this out

they have a copyright infringement so call problem

but when certin creators wanted to start chargeing for the use of mp.3 and other normaly free formats the so call music industry had a problem with it.

so basicly copyright is only for the music industry a privillage to break in hijack rape you invade your privacy tell you bad monkey we will sue you but they just commited what most would consider sevreal crimes as follows.

Stalking on the net
    breaking and entering
    breaking and entering with out a warrent
    spying on you basicly voyerisim
    threatining you isp provider
    threatining you
    puting you under emotion duress

yet they them seld have a problem with paying software makers for there copyright

i wonder if you can put a restraning order on them not to be within a network of you lol

wonder if you can put your owen written music in your share folder or dummy songs and when they try to sue you lol you sue them

for all kinds of stuff shouldnt it work both ways

plus how do they catch these people are they shareing mp3 and takeing names

and if so isnt that illigal like when a police officer gives you cocaine or tells you to do something illigal thenarrests you for it

i know thats illigal for cops to do i forgot what its called

after all when your on the peer to peer network dont you have to share files in order to dowenload i know alot of shares have it set up like that

i thought hacking was illigal isnt that what there doing

why can they break so many laws and get alway with it?

its like we want people to pay but we the music industry dont want to

also isnt mp3 and other formats a unique creation of itself

i mean when you convert music from the artist to a format that isnt the music originaal format dosent it become something else a creation of its owen

its not like its his voice anymore

if you did a test on the artisists voice and the converted format they dont match exactly pitchs are difrent sounds are off or better ect.

they dont have a problem me recording off my vcr nore tape recorder music off radio

but when it comes to a digital format that dosent even belong to them with even better quality then theres then they have a problem.

yet they dont have a problem stealing formats that dont belong to them and redistributing there music in those formats and now there advertising it in beer and fast food buy mcdonds dowenload free mp3 buy are beer get free mp3 eat are candy bar get mp3

i dont know about you sounds hellah illigal to me

6. Xaq

Xaq Registered Member

My House, it's on that street with the thing
    O no, big bad RIAA!! I'm really not to afraid of them because roughly half the people I know have illegal music on there comps. And you can also get software providing a blocklist of government IPs (though I'm not so sure how well it works). You can download without sharing which also decreases your chance of getting caught.

7. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

I'm so old I actually remember when folks actually paid for music records (those funny-lookin' black, vinyl 45s, 33 1/3s & 78s). Even had a conscience that told them it was the right thing to do.

Just because the medium of delivery has changed dramatically does not make theft any less than what it is: wrong. I hope "they" (whoever that is...I'm too far removed to know) continue to sue & win every case.

If you took months to craft a fine piece of furniture and some creep-in-the night came through your window & stole it, you'd be righteously indignant. Theft of intellectual/artistic property is no less thievery.

Those who do whine about the prosecutions need to kwitchyerbellyachin'....

8. Dazed_and_Confused

I'll bet you also remember 8-Track tapes! :D

I don't think there's a problem there. The law is pretty clear.

So true. But I'd be surprised, first. I can't even use a hammer! Oouch... :D

9. ssgtmax

Yup....even 4-trackers in the 60s. I think I 'fessed up to that bit of graybeard knowledge in some earlier ten-fwd thread. ;)

10. Dazed_and_Confused

Sorry I missed that thread. Not sure if I was born yet. :D :D :D

11. ssgtmax

Now listen here, you young whippersnapper.... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.