RFW 2009 (Rising Firewall) Free + RIS 2009 Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Someone, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Re: Rising Firewall Free Edition?

That does make sense. And it's good to see the product being updated. I might give it another run as it did run very light.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

There is an option for manual updates. You must have missed it. You must go to Settings --> Detailed settings --> Update.

3. Saraceno

Good stuff chief. :)

As this is a fairly straight-forward no-frills firewall, would the protection be any different than say using the vista FW with Vista Firewall Control?

4. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

I'd rather use Jiangmin firewall. I just wouldn't trust Raising.
    This vendor have a not-quite-good reputation in the mainland among the medium and advanced users, for its many "superb" promotion campaigns and lip services. In the media there are too much conceptual things, bluffings, flame wars from this company.

this 's my personal idea, which's also shared by many other Chinese users.
    I should have been proud to support my homeland vendors, :doubt: but they disappointed me sooo much, just like the Sanlu milk.:cautious:

Their product is not terribly bad, but just not quite as good as they boasted.

Ugh ok sorry for the vent I just feel so upset.

5. Fuzzfas

6. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I checked out the Jiangmin site, and didn't see a download link for their firewall. Is it freeware?

7. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ Fuzzfas, it seems that Rising doesn't want promove their firewall like the Rising AntiVirus. Firewall Free Edition finished... At least with updates.

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Started getting that message a few weeks ago. Since have switch to Comodo CIS beta 2 and am very happy with it.

9. Saraceno

That's a shame about the free firewall not being free anymore.

I guess you could try the pc tools firewall. It's light and easy to use.

10. Fuzzfas

Yes. Actually i couldn't care less about updates. But now, it's nagware too. If i open the GUI i get the nag screen, every single time.

I will be uninstalling soon. Oh, btw, it is ironic, but if you click "Buy now", you can't buy the firewall only. You get the option to buy the antivirus and with it you will get the firewall for free. o_O

11. Fuzzfas

Yes, i have been using it in the past. I 'll see what i will do.

12. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Wonderful, I just got the nag screen as well. :( Now I have to find a good, free FW to use with Vista x64, and frankly, I haven't found another one so far. Any suggestions? Been through Vista FW Control, Comodo, and Webroot so far.

13. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Did you have Rising Firewall installed in Vista 64?

14. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ Fuzzfas, me too. The fact of the matter is: firewall updates aren't a crucial issue (unlike Anti Virus app.). Above all when the Rising Firewall Free Version v. 20.44 it's a stable version with great performance!

THE PROBLEM: Rising Firewall v. 20.40 Free Edition it's Free! When the user update it another version comes out - the user is now with another version. This newest version isn't anymore free, the update process installed a new version that it is payware, so the nag screen comes out.

SUGGESTION: This is what I did to use this excellent firewall for free (without updates that isn't a question to me like said before).

1- Uninstall the version that now has nag screen.
    2- Install the Free Edition 20.44. The download it's available here.
    3- To avoid updates'temptations (that get the commercial/payware version) you can do this: in Rising Firewall'installation folder deletes the file "SmartUp.exe" (I delete also the same file that there is in "Update folder"). Thus when I click in "Update Now" button there isn't anymore any update...
    4- So you can use it normally without nag screen.

Rising Firewall it's light in CPU resources: 5 MB (PC Tools Firewall:15 MB), without conflits with anothers app. (a PC Tools annoyances e.g when their "Enhanced Security Verification" is enable). Unlike PC Tools it allows to block all traffic when user wants.

PC Tools Firewall is more and more a firewall HIPS'based - it has now a good position in latest Matousec ranking...

In a Firewall I like: a lot more NIPS and less and less HIPS.

And for now I'm using Rising Firewall 2008 Free Edition 20.44 - and I'm waiting the Rising Firewall 2009 Free Edition... :D

15. Fuzzfas

So, you are saying that the "free" version, if not updated, doesn't present the nag screen? Well, that's interesting! I didn't know that... Thanks! Sooner or later i will put it back.

Yes, that's why i use the v.3 of PC Tools firewall. The v.4 has stability issues from what i read. I don't need the hips part, so i stick with v.3 which has worked fine for me.

Ah, smart tactics. :D :thumb: A free edition of 2009 would be welcome indeed.

Thank you very much for the Rising tips!

16. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Guess it comes down to... Easy come easy go. bright side is tho there is many free firewalls out there. some more in depth then others.

I find it deplorable when company's sucker people in then turn around and charge for it on the basis of free. If that's the only way they can get people to try there product guess they don't believe in it very well.

except there AV to go the same way, and for whats on the market free or paid. It will just not be worth the $$

17. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Guess it comes down to... Easy come easy go. bright side is tho there is many free firewalls out there. some more in depth then others.

I find it deplorable when company's sucker people in then turn around and charge for it on the basis of free. If that's the only way they can get people to try there product guess they don't believe in it very well.

except there AV to go the same way, and for whats on the market free or paid. It will just not be worth the $$

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Ice

18. entropism

entropism Registered Member

I DID, now I'm using Comodo's firewall, without D+. I really wish Webroot and the company they licensed their FW from to get on the ball and fix the memory leak, it seemed ideal to me. Until, of course, I saw it taking up 600mb of ram. Never felt it though, especially since I have 8GB installed.

19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I actually emailed rising about the situation and they maintain the firewall is free...heres the email....
    Sorry to make you confused about Rising Free Firewall. We have fixed this issue which you have mentioned and this is caused by system maintenance task.
    To fix this issue, you need to update you Rising Free Firewall and then the popup window will not appeared any more.
    We promise Rising Free Firewall is free firewall, and also provide full-functions and services in free.
    And now, we provide purchasing Rising Antivirus 2008 get FREE Firewall, and the license is both effected to Rising Antivirus 2008 and Rising Firewall 2008. That means: one license can be used and activated both on Rising Antivirus 2008 and Rising Firewall 2008.
    You can purchase Rising Firewall 2008 through the following address: http://buynow.rising-global.com.
    .............................................................................
    ellison

20. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Well thats interesting, does that mean it is free or not? as their Rising FREE AV is also giving me nag screens re buying a license. I Have today e mailed them to ask why is this FRee AV not free?
    I will not buy it as it stated 'free.' It will be uninstalled first.

Fajo
    Agreed

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  21. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Maybe the same problem?...I havent bothered with the av but the firewalls nice.I downloaded the one here....
    http://safe.xunlei.com/promotion/rising.html
    (the web page is in chinese but the firewall download is the blue shield).I think this download rfwxl.exe (17.2mb) was some sort of promotional 6 month trial ,however it seems to be the same as the free firewall (including the "about" product ID)and build number ,except it contains skins ,one of which is quite nice.I also had the nag with the free firewall rfwfree.exe (14.4mb) ,so using the other at present.
    ellison

22. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

System Maintenance issue my arse..

they just wanted to see how many people they could sucker into buying it before to many complained. :cautious:

expect that to be back some day soon if it is not already. :rolleyes:

23. Fuzzfas

Well, to me it's a matter of trust now. And it's a bit fishy. On the same day, BOTH their "free" firewall and "free" antivirus products, came out with nag screens asking you to pay? I don't like such "coincidences". They could have also added that "if you want to continue using the free firewall, please update now again" or something. Instead of "you have 31 days left".

Right now i m fine with PC Tools firewall, i keep the Rising firewall setup and let some other do the guinea pig. If after months no nagging screen appears, maybe i will use it again.

But certainly, this kind of behaviour doesn't help you to trust a "security" company.

24. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I´m not so sure about that. I have paid for Rising AV (to get the firewall) 5-6 months. After a couple of weeks I got the same message even though I paid for it. So I put a SRP on the .exe (reg.exe? cant remember the name now) that gives the popup and then it didnt bother me anymore.
    I complained and they said the same thing to me. And after the next update it started to behave. They seem to have some kind of problem with that evaluation thingy.

I´m just waiting for them to release a 64bit version of the firewall, but I doubt that wont happen in forseable future. I guess majority of their customer base is folks that are still on 32bit so they are not in a hurry.

25. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ sukarof, what is SRP? Can you clarify me? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.