Revo Uninstaller question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

What is the "advanced mode" in Revo Uninstaller? I haven't been able to determine the difference in having it checked versus unchecked. I am talking about the one under Options not the one you see when uninstalling a program.

Attached Files:

2. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I use advanced mode most of the time, so I'm not really sure what the difference is. I do know when I run CCCleaner after it finds a few registry entries.

3. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Revo messed by 2 systems (1 mine, 1 my girlfriend) that required full format for her. Luckily I have FD-ISR and I was back in a matter of minutes.

I can't tell you how many times I was un-installing a particular program....only to find out that it corrupted or completely deleted other programs on my system as well.

Windows Add/Remove followed by simple leftover folder/files manual deletion and a quick registry scan (always create a back up) is the best and the SAFEST way to go.

Revo Uninstaller :thumbd:

4. Firebytes

While I appreciate both of you taking time to post here, neither response really answers my question.

5. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

The 'Advanced Mode' does a full scan of the registry and will display more entries. However NOT all entries will be related to that program you are un-installing so look over everything closely before you mark it for deletion.

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Revo is good, but as Birdman said, if you choose to delete all registry entries, it can screw things up badly.

Friend at work had acrobat professional installed, the trial which was 2GB, and wanted it removed and 'nitroPDF' installed instead.

Revo uninstalled it alright. But ms office, the company email program, and several other programs were screwed. :p

So keep in mind, the more complicated the install, the more complicated the uninstall. Nothing a snapshot or system restore won't fix.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Firebytes, I believe that if Advanced mode is checked under Options, the Select an Uninstall Mode prompt does not appear; it goes straight into the Performing the initial analysis and uninstall prompt. Don't have anything to remove so I can't check that theory; I could be wrong.

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes it pile up based on same name of an application with different versions installed.Hence it show all entries of all Opera versions,if you select all for delete then everything screw up, so be cautious in using REVO and peruse down the lines.Its a pain to do that but its the only way to do it safely.

9. Firebytes

Thanks for the information everyone. I will be cautious in my use of Revo. Usually if I have any doubts I will uninstall a program first while Returnil is on to see make sure everything seems good afterwards if I am planning on uninstalling using more than the programs own uninstaller.

10. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Hey, you probably uncover a novel way to use virtualisation, going in shadow mode before to uninstall programs! ;)

Btw, about Revo, I would have more confidence by running an install-monitor tool that's using before/after snapshots comparaisons like INCTRL5/CHKCTRL5/UNDOReg, ZSoft Uninstaller or Total Uninstall (all them have free versions available). IMHO, there is a kinda guessing part inherent to Revo's concept that has always kept me away from it, but it's only me...

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

That makes sense even to me.
    I've often wondered if some of my problems were coming from Revo. Can't blame it but did just get rid of it.
    Hugger

12. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I use Revo and I haven't had any bad issues with it. But I understand why they might occur. I also see why apps like Total Uninstall could/should be better.

But IMO, the only way to really have complete and safe uninstalls is to roll back to a previous state using a partition/drive image. I do this at times but not all the time (thus why I sometimes use Revo.)

FWIW, it's no surprise that Adobe didn't uninstall cleanly with Revo. IMO, all Adobe products are infestations. I avoid them like the plague...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.