Revo Uninstaller 60% off

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by beethoven, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

today at Bits du Jour
    http://www.bitsdujour.com/

Never tried the product myself but read many positive comments about it here at Wilders that I grabbed a license.:D

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Nice deal. :thumb:

3. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I found this product to be garbage. I prefer the free "Advanced Uninstaller Pro" which seems more accurate. I had Revo decimate more than the program I was uninstalling, and it seems to lack 'logic' on what is related to the uninstalled program which causes me alarm.

Personally - not recommended.. Also note, Revo has a TOUGH activation system.. Install it more than a couple times and your license is killed. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

With any uninstaller which works like Revo and scans for leftover files and registry keys, you need to verify the found leftovers before deleting them. As all such programs give false positives from time to time.

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I use Geek Uninstaller. I had many a times faced problems with deleting the leftovers of antivirus found by Geek Uninstaller after uninstalling them without rebooting. After that I don't delete any leftovers of any antivirus and I'm careful about deleting leftovers of other software.

6. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I didn't think this program was still around. Never paid for it, never will. I agree you have to be careful, I had this same program once completely destroy Internet Explorer in the process of removing a completely unrelated program that wasn't even internet facing or had anything to do with it.

7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Revo doesn't have a lifetime license and their program is marginally better than other free programs such as geek uninstaller. Yeah it has virtualization and so on but if I have to go down that route I might as well do a quick 15 re-image with a Macrium or Clonezilla.

8. Dave0291

No smart company has a lifetime license unless they are mostly hobbyists using up free time or an independent dev getting their name out there. The business model is a relic of a long gone era. But yeah, paid Revo offers very little incentive to pay. I know it claims to remove 64bit software, but there isn't a lot of that out there anyway.

9. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Does it also remove registry leftovers?

10. roger_m

Leftover files and registry entries usually don't matter, so removing them is not a big deal

However antivirus software is an exception, as occasionally some of the leftover files still get loaded into memory. This can cause conflicts with other antivirus software you install. So, it is actually a good idea to use an uninstaller such as Geek Installer when removing any security software.

You need to take a look at the found leftovers and make sure that files and registry keys from software other than what's being uninstalled is included. All such uninstallers do give false positives on occasion and this is the reason they can cause problems.

11. roger_m

Yes it does.

12. mattdocs12345

But the problem with uninstallers is that there isn't much that they offer and not much that they can update. And Im not going to pay for renting AV, AM, FW, Office, Photoshop and now uninstaller or crap cleaner. What's next? Renting Windows?
    I will much rather simply re-image my computer and run linux. Solves so many headaches and runs for free.
    And while the lifetime license model might be outdated, the rent ware model is quite saturated with open source software.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation and advice taken.:D:thumb:

14. Dave0291

Off-topic, but I believe that rentware is just going to keep growing. If Windows ever ends up as a truly cloud OS, renting it will follow soon after. Linux isn't necessarily a better answer either, as it comes with its own share of growing problems.

You're right though, uninstallers are very limited, unless they turn into "suites" like many security and maintenance programs have.

15. mattdocs12345

But how much are people willing to pay per year?
    $4.99 for AV
    $9.99 for AM
    $16.99 for FW
    $99 for microsoft office
    $7.99 for uninstaller
    $6.99 for ccleaner
    ....what else is going to come?
    $99 for microsoft windows
    $4.99 for skype?
    $1.99 for calculator?
    $2.99 to watch mpeg movies?

... every market has a saturation point because People have limited budget. They will not spend $300 a year to rent software and run windows. They will either pirate or use free software. Even right now with Windows being sold with lifetime license (and btw this is a prime example where lifetime license is profitable).
    Yeah Linux has huge problems but it will not disappear because it is free and there are people willing to put in their spare time into maintaining it and making it usable. IMO it would be a suicide for Windows to go into rentware model and same goes for microsoft office. Maybe buisnesses would be willing to pay yearly fees but I doubt anybody else would.

And how does this relate to the original subject? Revo Uninstaller is not worth it because it is rentware. There are plenty of free alternatives that kill the revenue for the company. Their 60% off is not much of an incentive for if I have to pay for the software every year. I refuse to rent, I buy a software and I want to use it for as long as I want to. On the other hand if they had a lifetime license, I would have probably bought it as some point.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  16. Dave0291

You brought up the topic, not me :D

You kidding? People would KILL to pay those prices for an AV. 4.99 per year instead of 49-69.00 per year currently? As is said on the net so well..shut up and take my money! For the rest of your examples minus Office and Windows, no, most won't do that yet.

17. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Hell yea!!,,i paid $6 for my Bitdefender AV 3 PC's/ 2 year! lol :D

18. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Yeah rentware is getting old - real old. This 'yearly' fee crap is tiresome, and I am moving on from it.. Even moving to superior, free products like Avira rather than incessantly changing, and buggy bloated paid products.

As for Uninstallers - I've already warned about Revo.. More than 1 install it toasts your license. Any upgrade, it toasts your license. It will in fact toast your computer, or tamper with 'other' installations.

I highly recommend this;

http://www.advanceduninstaller.com

Free, replaces CCleaner and Revo, and does both jobs better.

19. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

IDK Ive been using Revo for a wile now no problems here it shows you what to delete and as long as you delete them files your good.

Ill check out AU..

20. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Registered Member

I used to use Revo Uninstaller when it was free and I really liked it.
    I have since been using IOBIT Uninstaller 3 (free).
    It also has that secondary scan for orphan files. To be honest, I like it better.
    http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.php

21. roger_m

Not so. Revo will from time to time find files and registry keys which are not part of the program you uninstalled. Deleting these keys can damage whatever program they belong to.

So you should always verify the leftovers found before letting Revo delete them.

22. roger_m

It still is free. You have to pay for the Pro version which has 64 bit uninstall support however.

I use it myself too, particularly because of the batch uninstall. I find this very as often I have multiple programs to uninstall sometimes as many as 30 programs. But, based on testing I did long ago, Revo did a better job of finding leftovers than IObit, or any of the other similar uninstallers did, I doubt much has changed since then.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  23. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I love this app.
    Whether you want to uninstall a traced app or uninstall via the programs uninstaller, Revo cleans up. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.