returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by waters, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

Just trying it and cant quite grasp it.Can someone explain simply the best way to set up.Do i have to update antivirus etc with it off .I use bittorrent so is it ok to download as normal and file will remain till i reboot.Should i scan anything i want to keep
    Anything i should set up .

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Hi
    I personally have 2 partitions. C: for windows and D: for "my documents"

this way returnil protects my system but I can save files when I'm working on them.
    Yes, AV updates must be done with returnil off. I you leave it on, AV will update all over again every time you turn on the PC. My advice would be, turn protection of once a week and update AV. This way, daily updates don't get so big.
    I also use uTorrent, and I've set it to store torrents and downloads on my d: partition, this way returnil don't delete what I download.

You should only keep things you trust. This means trying it virtualized or sandboxed first, or scanning, etc. A great resource is virustotal.com, but you can only scan files up to 10MB.

Returnil also can create a virtual partition for saving files between reboots. It is useful, but I don't use it anymore since I had problems with system restore once.

Some users here have mentiones the possibility to store AV updates on other partitions, but I have no idea if someone has succesfully accomplished that.

3. waters

waters Registered Member

I forgot,i have returnil drive z empty,how to use this

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

drive Z is just like one more partition.
    If you set it up correctly, you can drag or copy or download things to it and they will be still there after a reboot.

5. waters

waters Registered Member

Great that is more clear,i will drag files to z to keep,thanks

6. waters

waters Registered Member

what about system restore in vista

7. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Don`t know, I use XP.

Once I had to use system restore and it seems that z: partition was conflicting somehow with it. Couldn't restore at all. Maybe the problem was Z or maybe not...

Maybe someone could confirm this, but I have chosen to disable it, since with d: partition, I don't really need Z:

8. waters

waters Registered Member

Do i disable system restore in vista

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

XP Pro SP2 here, Returnil is yet to show me even one single issue including the virtual partiton feature of it.

Now Vista could be another matter, i just can't say with any certainty on that O/S's compatibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.