Returnil will not start when drive letter from backup partition removed

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Adric, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I recently copied a system partition from disk1 to disk0 so I would have a backup. I am now using the partition on disk0 as my default sys and disk1 as my backup. Both systems are bootable and run fine.

I removed the drive letter of the backup partition so it would not be visible when in the default system. My problem is that Returnil will not start unless I re-assign a drive letter to the backup partition. I did an uninstall in the default system and re-installed, but that did not help. At first, I thought it might have something to do with duplicate volumeids because of the cloned partitions, so I changed the volumeid (not volume label) to something else but that did not help.

Any ideas why RSS is insisting the partition on disk1 be visable in order for the core service to start?

Al

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Adric,
    You will need to make certain that all the disks have an assigned letter or you will run into this issue.

Mike

3. Adric

Adric Registered Member

On the backup system I do the same thing so the other system partition is hidden and I have no problems with Returnil there. I don't want the user to have access to the other system partition from either side.

Al

4. Coldmoon

Hi Al,
    By any chance, do you have the software only installed on one of the System Partitions in a multi-boot setup? If yes, make sure you have the software installed on both OS's.

Mike

5. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Systems have the same content and reside on two separate volumes. I boot each one directly. Only the volser and background are different so I can keep them apart. I trashed the system on disk0 where RSS was not working and reinstalled a basic system and then Returnil. Same problem. Core service would not start until I made the 2nd system on Disk1 visible. The system on disk1 works even when hiding the partition on Disk0. This may be Returnil restriction, but I'm confused why Returnil on Disk1 works and Returnil on Disk0 does not.

Al

6. Coldmoon

Hi Al,
    Could you open a support ticket so you can send us some logs and additional information? To take a deeper look at this, we would ask you to send the following to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com:

1. drive letters for each system when loaded
    2. The build/version of RSS/RVS you are using (About link in GUI)
    3. The following logs for the setup where you run into the core service issue (note: please make sure you get the logs after getting the error):

A. C:\ProgramData\Returnil\RVS3\Log - the rvs3.log and rvs-inst.log files in this directory

B. A Windows MSINFO32 report for same setup

Mike

7. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Okay, I sent the infos as requested.

Al

8. Coldmoon

Hi Al,
    The team has the logs and the initial feedback from the development team is that this may be related to a "ghost" bug they have been trying to track down for a while now, but due to the extremely rare occurrence of this happening in the field or even in the lab has made finding a root cause elusive.

Can you use the instructions from the following Microsoft article to configure a dump file for further investigation?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241215

What they need is a dump of the rvsmon.exe process when it crashes.

Mike

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  9. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Hi Mike,

The link you posted points to this thread o_O . Can I just use procdump from Sysinternals?

Also, I no longer have the laptop I was working on. It may take a while before I can
    get at it again. I need to contact the person that I rebuilt the system for. Sorry for the
    delay.

Al

10. Coldmoon

Hi Al,
    Thanks for the heads up on the link - fixed the post

As long as you can generate a dump for the process if/when it encounters the crash, the method is not that important I think.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.