Returnil Virtual Partition Questions

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by TheKid7, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am considering trying Returnil Premium in the coming weeks. When reading through the manual I noticed the option of creating a "Virtual Partition".

1. What is a "Virtual Partition"?
    2. I assume that if this partition is "Virtual" that it actually makes no changes to the C:\ partition. Is this the case? I have plenty of free space on my C:\ partition but I just want to make sure that there is no chance of data damage to the C:\ partition if I select the "Virtual Partition" option.
    3. What are the positives and negatives to having a "Virtual Partition"?

Thank You.

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

1. What is a "Virtual Partition"?

Easiest way to look at it... Returnil creates a folder that your system sees and can use as a separate partition (will show up as Z drive by default).

2. I assume that if this partition is "Virtual" that it actually makes no changes to the C:\ partition. Is this the case? I have plenty of free space on my C:\ partition but I just want to make sure that there is no chance of data damage to the C:\ partition if I select the "Virtual Partition" option.

The only real change is that you will have another folder on the C drive and you will lose the disc space used by it.

3. What are the positives and negatives to having a "Virtual Partition"?

Main +/-

+ provides a place to store data you wish to keep even if system protection is active for the main partition (virtual partition can be mounted and unmounted at will...contents of the virtual partition are inaccessible when unmounted)

- takes up disc space and isn't necessary if you already have a separate partition or a flash drive to save data to when system protection is active

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  3. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi there

If I were to let my free license lapse, would the VP still be accessible for write/read?

If so, would it be permanently available, except in the case of uninstalling Returnil?

(Site faq states that if license lapses, the availability of the VP will depend on your license type.)

Thanks in advance.

philby

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Yes, the VP remains accessible/useable

Yes

5. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

So if I were to accidentally save malware in the virtual partition it wouldn't be able to break out into the main partition?

Also if I were to mount the vp save some info/files into there and then unmount that stuff would remain even after rebooting?

6. Coldmoon

This is not the correct way to visualize this. There are two states the VP can be in: Mounted and dismounted. In the former case, the VP will be seen and work in a similar way to any other non-system partition on or attached to your computer. Being a non-system "drive", any content saved within it will not be lost at restart but if malicious it will be impotent as the changes it needed to make to your real system registry would be lost at restart and as a result would be inactive.

In the latter case (dismounted), the VP is nothing other than a very large file on your system partition (2.0.0) or non-system partition (2.0.1). Any content within the VP would not be accessible as RVS is the only program that can mount (open) the VP. As a result, malicious content would again be impotent.

Yes

7. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

So even if I mount the vp while protection is off as long as I don't transfer any malicious file into the real partition I wont get infected?

8. Coldmoon

No, if protection is off and you activate the malicious content from within the VP, you have the same chance of being infected as you would without RVS installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.