returnil problems

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by azrael789, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azrael789

azrael789 Registered Member

Hi
    When I learned about this software I was immediately very interested in it, so I downloaded the home lux trail. All was well untill I rebooted. Returnil had indeed wiped all the changes that I hadn't saved, along with my firefox settings and everything in thunderbird. I was a bit annoyed, so I uninstalled.

It wasn't untill later I realised I hadn't shut down thunderbird (does this matter?). I gave it another try, but this time I noticed the home classic version. Again I ran the trail after shutting down firefox and thunderbird, did some random stuff and rebooted. I get a screen saying vista can't boot because critical files are missing (\Windows\sytem32\Drivers\RVSystem.sys) and I'm advised to insert the vista installation disc to perform a repair. the repair runs, says a possible solution has been found and requests a reboot. I get the same screen but this time it says that \Windows\system32\config\system is missing. The repair continues and I get the first screen again, again saying that \Windows\sytem32\Drivers\RVSystem.sys is missing. In the end repair didn't work and I restored a backup.

Would anyone happen to have any idea what might be causing this?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello azrael789 and welcome to the forums :)

Please take me step by step through the original install and uninstall.

Mike

3. azrael789

Hi, thank you for the swift reply!

I can't remember using anything but the standard settings during the installation itself. I rebooted directly after the install. I disabled the antivirus, the bar and created a virtual drive. It wasn't created in de default place though, my windows and program files and personal files are on separate partitions. So returnil was installed on 1 partition and the virtual drive on another. After that I did the first test. I uninstalled using revo, but I didn't let revo delete any reg entries or files (althought it is possible, I don't really remember).

What I do remember is finding it odd that the home lux and home classic were exactly the same on my pc. So the home classic still showed the antivirus tab although it was turned off. I don't think the taskbar showed either (but I'm not sure of this one).

4. Coldmoon

The use of Revo to uninstall caused damage and as a result, RVS was not properly uninstalled. When uninstalling RVS 2010, it is imperative that you use the Windows' add/remove programs feature.

All current versions of RVS now come with additional functionality that will repair a previous damaged install and then install the upgrade. This process may take more than one cycle (Ex: uninstall damaged RVS components, restart, attempt install, remove additional damaged components, restart, install the new upgrade).

This is because the installer is universal. For the Home Classic version, the AV is deactivated completely (virtualization only version).

Mike

5. azrael789

Thank you for your help!

On a side note, like I said, I'm very interested in the features that returnil provides. But would the initial problem (thunderbird and firefox settings being wiped) be solved by closing them prior to enabling returnil?

6. Coldmoon

If they are changed during the current virtual session and then you restart, no, the settings would not be remembered. Further, the programs will revert to their state at the moment the virtualization was activated. Some suggestions:

1. When using TB, try exporting your settings and saved messages to a backup (like creating PST backups in Outlook). When you start your computer virtualized, import these settings into TB and resume from where you left off. Similar for FF bookmarks...

2. Change the default save locations in TB and FF

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.